Author Topic: Earth Defense Megadump  (Read 17433 times)

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
Earth Defense Megadump
Earth Defense is a mod for Freespace that has been in development for over 7 years. Since 2008 some fantastic music and models have been produced. However, progress has slown to a crawl. It has been over a year since the last SVN commit and I can't see the situation getting any better.
A consultation among members of the team back in April resulted in a 3-1 vote in favor of asset release, however nothing was done. Since then there has not been a single post in ED's internal forum.

Due to this inactivity, I have made the decision to dump the entire ED SVN repository. Model and music exclusivity does nothing but harm modding communites, and I don't want to see the assets in ED wasted.

[link removed; see post below - G5K]

Update:
New upload with mystery project assets removed
http://www.freespacemods.net/download.php?view.928
Enjoy.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 03:30:14 am by qazwsx »
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
A real pity to see another dead megaproject. :(

Still, thanks for sharing this stuff with the community! I'm sure Earth Defense's legacy will live on in its assets! :yes:
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Meh. Call me a pessimist or whatever... but the fewer stagnant "megaprojects" we have around here sucking up talent the better.

Other than BP, how many "megaprojects" actually made release? Inferno maaaaaaaybe counts, but not anything in years. In general, it really seems that mega mods are where content goes to die or live in purgatory.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Diaspora, TBP and WCS did okay. But it seems like a bad model for producing FreeSpace campaigns.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Don't forget WOD! :) Not a giant megaproject like the others, but definitely on a larger scale than a typical mod.

Maybe somebody will pick it up. Exclusivity is not good, but this will also open doors to someone to step up and try to revive the project.

Though I noticed that activity on HLP in general is not what it once was. There were times when you could expect multiple new posts in the modding board per day, threads also rolled off the front page fairly quickly. There was some movement in nearly every active project. It seems that sometime during my big bout of inactivity, it stopped and now it's more like a few posts per week in modding and project boards went all but silent.

Maybe KSP is to blame? :) Actually easier to mod than FS, more realistic and very fun. Seen quite a few people from here on their forums, I also mostly stopped modding FS in favor of KSP. People who did story-heavy stuff started writing books (myself included, though I didn't finish anything big yet). I still do occasional testing and I'm happy to try out anything new that does come out, but I don't play nearly as much as I used to.

Ironically, Inferno is one of the few megaprojects besides BP where things still seem to be happening, although not nearly at a pace they used to. Also, if you count extra-FS TCs, then there's Diaspora and WCS (the former seems to be still going, the latter I dunno). I have high hopes for FoTG as well.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Diaspora, TBP and WCS did okay. But it seems like a bad model for producing FreeSpace campaigns.

Haha, perhaps I don't think of those as "megaprojects" because they actually released something. :p

Honestly, I think the existence of these huge projects has been a bit of a deterrent for some new modders. "I can't ever make anything like that" syndrome.

Have you asked Betrayal on his opinion on this decision?

The project was frozen, not closed.

Offline Aesaar

I suspect Betrayal was the 1 dissenting vote.

Must talk with him then :P We're in touch despite his absence on forum.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
no

correct
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 03:33:03 pm by qazwsx »
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
That and with 16 downloads currently of a full SVN dump.. it's too late. The story is out. The assets are out. Mod creators are already picking through the dump to find things to use and add to their projects.

Not that I'm complaining or something ;). I looked through the entire content when I visited Betrayal last time. Just a bit surprised.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Well, the music is certainly going to my playlist. :) Really, stuff this good shouldn't have been kept under wraps for this long. This music is awesome.

As for the rest, well, only a few models are unique (and most of those are out already). Some awesome nebula lightning. Great bitmaps, though most not unique (Nighteyes' stuff, always the best). Good interface, though reusing that might be though. Great HUD, judging from the screenshots, at least (can't check .ani files right now). High quality CB anims and even a few movies. CB anims, at least use the old Raynor, though, so they're only of use to those who don't want to switch to Aesar's new model. There's a nice one with Sath fleet and a fairly generic one with Sol Gate, I suppose usable by anyone using that model. Great skyboxes and backgrounds.

I have to say, that could've been an awesome mod. Some assets are not top of the line, but the overall quality is very good.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
no

correct
Incorrect. I voted all the stuff we have to be released and we made a public dump some time ago. I was also one of the team members who convinced Shiv that we should release models, nebulae and other things.
All the stuff that this package contains, and wasn't released before were exclusive because original authors are inactive anymore like Lukasz, Nighteyes, PeterV, Moonred and probably others. Also I never agreed to release some of the stuff that I prepared for other mod, and let ED use it including current Arashi model [Orion-like] or shivan SF Eblis or SC Daeva.

Sorry guys, but it's not my fault. I'm only responsible for the rest of the unreleased stuff. As I never recived any directions from original authors or Shiv, interface, cbanims, hud graphics and missions should not be used till original authors say so. I can only say that I can make proper re-release of ED assets, including fixed models, addonital nebulae, sound archives and probably other stuff. I don't want rest of the ED modpack to be somekind of super-exclusive assets of a dead project. Just respect the original authors, who never expressed their opinions about releasing their work.

Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Incorrect. I voted all the stuff we have to be released and we made a public dump some time ago. I was also one of the team members who convinced Shiv that we should release models, nebulae and other things.
All the stuff that this package contains, and wasn't released before were exclusive because original authors are inactive anymore like Lukasz, Nighteyes, PeterV, Moonred and probably others. Also I never agreed to release some of the stuff that I prepared for other mod, and let ED use it including current Arashi model [Orion-like] or shivan SF Eblis or SC Daeva.

Sorry guys, but it's not my fault. I'm only responsible for the rest of the unreleased stuff. As I never recived any directions from original authors or Shiv, interface, cbanims, hud graphics and missions should not be used till original authors say so. I can only say that I can make proper re-release of ED assets, including fixed models, addonital nebulae, sound archives and probably other stuff. I don't want rest of the ED modpack to be somekind of super-exclusive assets of a dead project. Just respect the original authors, who never expressed their opinions about releasing their work.
same
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I've removed the link on the request of a PM.  I don't know the full story behind the release, but with any dissenting votes, it's better to protect the integrity of the mod until everyone is on the same page.

Of course, as mjn.mixael said, the cat is kind of out of the bag now that the link has been posted.  (Additionally, neither I nor HLP have control over the site that the download is hosted on.)

I recommend the ED team discuss this internally, with dissenting members given a chance to make their case, until all parties are satisfied or until the project leader can make a final decision.

And for third-party observers, this is a good example of the importance of having a project asset policy, as karajorma has pointed out in the past. :)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I don't think ED has an active project leader. Shiv resigned (?) and both Snail and Tantalus vanished.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
will send anyone the link who PMs me for it
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Just realised that this dump contained some unique stuff meant not only for ED but also for Mystery Project  :mad2:

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
ED internal:
Sorry for late response. Too much real life issues.

New Arashi, SF Eblis and SC Daeva were made for my non-ED project. The Mystery Project. I later decided to include them in ED. I discussed it with Shiv as we were the only team members still active this moment.

If these ships were removed from the dump, then would there be an issue with releasing the rest?