Author Topic: 20050622 - BugFix build (probably last before 3.6.7)  (Read 19554 times)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
20050622 - BugFix build (probably last before 3.6.7)
I spent about 27 hours Sunday/Monday just working on bug fixes for this thing so if you have problems, please keep them to yourselves. :p  :D

- fix custom loading screens
 - fix wrong/random text with ship message brackets
 - various random crash bugs fixed
 - fix a few multi related crashes
 - make networking compatible with pre-March builds (breaks all other builds since March but should work with 3.6.5 again)
 - fix player ship targetting an invisible object when hit with emp (WMCoolmon)
 - simulated speech disabled when you use -nosound

These two need some testing:

- make sure that player can't target invisible ships when tartget-target's-target is pressed or when targetting subsystem in view (not in CVS until it's poven to not have side-effects)
 - small changes to particle code to help speed rendering a little and address several potential crashes.  It will also now properly allow for not using any particle anis which previously could have caused numerous issues including large memory usage and massive slowdowns. (this is in CVS but not verified to fix reported issues)

Also be sure to give networking a try again.  Most of the crash bugs should be addressed but if it's filed in Mantis and still open please verify that it's fixed or not.  EDIT: The multi subsystem damage bug has now been fixed.

Da Build: http://icculus.org/~taylor/fso/testing/20050622-win32.rar
** No OpenAL builds this time so the download is smaller **

One other little, tiny thing just for OGL users:  compression!  Not really exciting but it's about ready for public use and I don't want to release another test build just for it.  This change will not be in 3.6.7 so if you don't want to test it that's fine.

It's like -pcx2dds (which never worked for OGL) but taken to a higher level.  Like -pcx2dds it will compress textures into DDS format when they are uploaded to the video card however the new feature will replace the original uncompressed data in bmpman with the new, compressed, data.  So it's with OGL only and with power-of-2 textures only but it will compress PCX, TGA, JPG and ANI frames using DXT5 or DXT1 as the case requires.  ANI frames currently use DXT1 but will likely use DXT5 for quality in the final version of the code.  It's estimated to knock 40-50% (on average of various missions) off of the memory needed to run the game.

The new cmdline option for this feature is -img2dds so if you feel like giving it a try let me know how well it works.  I'm interested in any slowdowns during game play, improperly rendered graphics, any change in mission load times, and general resposiveness in game.  The final version of the code will work for D3D too but since I only use OGL I just coded it for now.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 11:04:23 am by 1252 »

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Good news Taylor :)

Since our Bug was good reproducable I just played again, shoot at a capship and everything seems to be fine now, my FPS stays constantly on 120, no more dropdowns. I just played a few seconds, but it works pretty smooth.

You are the man, thanks buddy :yes: :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Good to hear.  If further testing shows that it's still a problem let me know.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Re: 20050622 - BugFix build (probably last before 3.6.7)
Originally posted by taylor
I spent about 27 hours Sunday/Monday just working on bug fixes for this thing

:eek2:

Egads man. Go get some sleep, you deserve it. :):yes:
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline redmenace

Nebuleas fixed?
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by redmenace
Nebuleas fixed?

Still not sure what the problem is.  I'm giving priority to the multi damage bug right now and the nebula bug is the only other major thing on my list (now that the particle bug is fixed).  I did make various changes which might help in an indirect way but I haven't actually tested that yet.

EDIT: Well, multi subsys damage bug is now squashed.  And I'm sure to everyone's delight, it was entirely my fault. :D   Now off to your neb slowdown bug...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 01:48:11 am by 1252 »

Offline starfox

Looking good, slowdown while firing on capships is minimal to nonexistent. For some strance reason my fps never goes beyond 60.

In overall, this build of miracle runs very smoothly. I'll try netplay later on...

Once again Taylor, Job suberbly done !
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I think I wanted to test the one sooner build. It didn't happen. :)
But let me see if my 'crash when cruisers present' still persists with this build.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by starfox
For some strance reason my fps never goes beyond 60.

This usually happens when you are running in OGL mode with a screen resolution that doesn't match your desktop.  Windows will default to a 60hz refresh rate and if you don't disable v-sync in your drivers then you'll max out at around 60 FPS.  You can either make the global change in you driver settings or change your desktop resolution to what you run the game in, change the refresh rate to a higher setting, then change your resolution back to normal.  Next time you run the game it should get everything right.  If that is the problem anyway.

Originally posted by TopAce
I think I wanted to test the one sooner build. It didn't happen.
But let me see if my 'crash when cruisers present' still persists with this build.

Gotta say "Huh?" on this one.  Too much going on for me to remember what this was about.  Is this an IBX thing?  If so just be sure the delete the IBX files in question and let them regenerate.  It should have correct data then and not cause any rendering issues or crashes.  From the MediaVPs, these files are known to generate wrong data 100% of the time so delete them before running this build if you had problems before: cruiser01.ibx, cruiser01x.ibx, fighter2t-03.ibx, miner2v-01.ibx.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
No, the problem is with my hard drive, I think. Since I reinstalled the whole machine(windows, everything), half of the games crash for me randomly, Jedi Academy crashes randomly, Knight of the old Republic crashes five or ten minutes into the game and FS crashes, too.

I don't think it is a problem with the SCP, although I have not tried retail FreeSpace.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Gonna check this build tonight :)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
vwep kinda works now, it still crashes when i try to use the hellbat, but other ships with vwep seem to work.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Error! Current GL Version of 1.1 is less than the required version of 1.2...

Please don't say we need Cats newer than 5.4, cos Omega hasn't updated his set yet.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by SuperCoolAl
Error! Current GL Version of 1.1 is less than the required version of 1.2...

Uhh, that's pretty wrong.  Version 1.1 is what Microsoft ships as the software GL version.  I don't think a driver upgrade is in order but you might want to reinstall the version that you already have.  Something looks to be wrong with the install if it's only finding the software GL version.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
:wtf: all cats have been higher than 1.2
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

I'm just gonna use older builds until Omega's next set come out, which can't be long now.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by SuperCoolAl
I'm just gonna use older builds until Omega's next set come out, which can't be long now.

It should still fail the version check regardless of what build you are using.  Older builds only checked the minor version but 1 is still less than 2 so it shouldn't work.  I'd be interested to know what builds work for you in OGL mode if this one doesn't.

every other build i try works

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
My 20050613 build worked?

no just tested it, but 0606 works