Author Topic: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.15.0-dev+73b131a (combined launcher/installer)  (Read 422898 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.14.3 (combined launcher/installer)
Is Windows mapping it to click / right-click?  If so, map your mouse clicks to whatever you want A & B to be, see if that fixes it.  Although code-wise I'm sure there's probably a way to fix it, maybe that works around it for now.

Given how often I will play the game, a work around is completely fine. :)

Where would I check, if such a mapping in windows is active?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 11:33:53 am by horscht(i) »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Given how often I will play the game, a work around is completely fine. :)

Where would I check, if such a mapping in windows is active?

I'd check in FreeSpace options.  Where the mouse is binding.  If you can change that with the opposite button (B or A, whichever is opposite of the current bind) then it's doing that, I think.  If not, then it's not.

Hi, I have a weird bug when trying to run Jaded's FSPort and Jaded's ST:R. I have installed all required VPs and mods (https://imgur.com/a/PxcYiBK), but I am getting the Jaded's FSPort requires FSU MVPs error. I talked to the author (https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=97350.msg1914064#msg1914064) and he tried to help me, but he is also at loss. SO what should I do? Reinstall Knossos and help for the best?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Hit up the Discord (top-left of page, "HLP" drop-down) and ask there.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I'm having some issues with Knossos after not playing the game for a long time. Is there a way to reset the path to the retail data? I can't load anything because the game exe (which is in the Knossos library folder) doesn't detect the retail files.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
I'm having some issues with Knossos after not playing the game for a long time. Is there a way to reset the path to the retail data? I can't load anything because the game exe (which is in the Knossos library folder) doesn't detect the retail files.
First, close Knossos, then assuming you're on Windows, go to the "Run..." menu (Windows Key + R), type %appdata% and press Enter, then rename the folder knossos to, say, knossos_old.

The next time you start Knossos, you should see the "first run" welcome wizard.

IIRC the equivalent folder on Linux is ~/.knossos and I think it's ~/Library/Application Support/knossos on Mac.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Yeah, I figured the installation was not set right somehow. I got that first run window and saw what it was doing with the retail FS2 files. I ended up forcing Knossos to use my existing FS2 folder as its library folder. It complains about that but you can trick it by moving all the FS2 files out, setting the folder and moving the files back in. :D The benefit of this is that it allows both a traditional FS2 install and Knossos to coexist with the same VP files. I have a lot of old campaigns and stuff that still use the old launcher and mod.ini system.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Also, one suggestion I have is to somehow highlight the "Freespace Upgrade MediaVP" and "Freespace Port MediaVP" as the options a new player should be using when they first set this up. I had the same issue as this guy.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Also, one suggestion I have is to somehow highlight the "Freespace Upgrade MediaVP" and "Freespace Port MediaVP" as the options a new player should be using when they first set this up. I had the same issue as this guy.
Thanks for sharing. I thought the first-run wizard mentions the FS2 MVPs at some point in the process, although I think it just tells you about them; you still have to go find them yourself. No mention of FSPort MVPs, but that was just an oversight.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Also is it possible to install only the "base" part of campaigns, without any of the dependencies? It auto downloads all of the dependencies even if I manually unselect them. I want to make the campaigns use the latest versions of the media vps, mainhalls, etc. and just deal with any compatibility issues myself. My FS2 install is already over 250GB and I don't want to have multiple versions of these things.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
The only packages you can uncheck are optional, the mandatory ones will always be uninstalled.

You can change the dependency versions in the mod's mod.json with a simple text editor if you want, but I think that's doable only after the installation finishes?
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Yes, that works but I have to download the whole thing first and then delete the stuff I don't want, which is not very efficient. It would be good if there was a way to do this. The only solution I see is to manually download and set up mods from Nebula and bypass Knossos.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
The option exists to do what you describe on the creator side - however it is dependency mods that then become the problem.

You see if the dependency mod changes on its package down the line, e.g. the MVPs splits the mv_effects in order curp the per package file size and renames it to mv_effects_1 and mv_effects_2 Knossos will be unable to find that dependency and disable the download.
If you are creator and don't have your mod currently installed, this will also lock you out of re-downloading and changing your mod via Knossos (you will have to go the long way around and manually do everything)

That's why as creator you are encouraged to not use the "newest"-version setting on any dependency.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Raneko

And stopped using Knossos for a week, and now it's having a stroke.  Stuck in endless loops, whether trying to download new content or load any mods. I tried an uninstall and reinstall no joy.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
And stopped using Knossos for a week, and now it's having a stroke.  Stuck in endless loops, whether trying to download new content or load any mods. I tried an uninstall and reinstall no joy.

Nuke the settings file.  Mebbe post a debug log if you can find it.

Whoever is working on Knossos needs to add a failsafe in the code for the Max Downloads setting.  If a user (like myself in this instance) sets it at 0 or a negative number Knossos completely refuses to do anything that requires network access, such as download the mod list on start-up.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Hi!

I was trying to install and use Knossos to install mods. But I am stuck at "Installing Freespace 2" "Preparing...".

But I have already downloaded and installed Freespace 2 from steam.
It asked me to select "Root_fs2.vp" and I selected the same and clicked the option to continue, after which I am stuck with this issue.

I have very limited knowledge about the computers and so please help me fix this issue.

Thanks!

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Knossos sometimes takes a VERY long time to install anything. If you click on the install button it should bring up progress bars for the versions things it is trying to do. But sometimes it appears to get stuck for hours. Then if you try and do it again the next day it will do it in minutes. Basically Knossos is very temperamental at times. At the risk of sounding g line Roy from The IT Crowd “Have you tried turning it off and on again?” Because that seems to work pretty well. You might need to fully restart your PC too just to make sure.
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Huh...wanted to get back a bit into FS2 and I got Knossos 1.4.3, installed the latest VP's (but got an error at he end, had to re-start).
Can't start anything now.

FSO is launching flashes for a moment and ...nothing. It worked before. Win7 by the way.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!