Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 918131 times)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
Federation ships tend to be more versatile and durable. Allied ships are usually faster and better shielded.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Backwards

Offline ION3

I'm using the reverse afterburner so much, that i can't fly ships without them anymore.

And on kent vs Nyx:

The Kentauroi has REALLY high acceleration and decelleration if you use the forward and reverse afterburner for that. The Draco also has really high deceleration. Makes it very deadly. The two gun points more on the Nyx don't matter much for me because i can't shoot both gun banks at full power at the same time. So i'm only using the primary bank most of the time, which is the same size for both. And you need to use low power/high range weapons on the Nyx most of the time, because you can't close in to use hight power weapons. I rarely run out of missles on the Kent, so the larger missle capacity of the nyx doesn't matter much for me either. The fact that the Kent has three missle banks compared to the Nyx's 2, on the other hand, does matter to me. The smaller profile of the nyx is offset by the greater speed. Both ships move by about the same amount of ship-lengths per second. And you can evade most missles on the kent without using the burner or countermeasures.

So for me Nyx vs Kent boilds down to: 50% more armor + smaller profile vs 50% more speed + reverse afterburner.

While the gtva arsenal is more diverse, the rapier combines the best attributes of the keyser and prometheus. The GTVA has no weapons that are that good.

What about the Atlanta? Will it get glide mode in r2? Would like to experiment with that.

Another function which i use very often is weapon/missle switch. So i'm often really annoyed with the weapon switch delay. You know, I don't like my weapons to lock up on me in a dogfight.

I don't have problems with Key rollover. I'm using the mouse for turning. (mouse sensitivity really high)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 05:17:29 am by ION3 »

Offline -Norbert-

I did a little table editing that enables glide for every fighter except the Scimitar (just copy/paste really). Anyway you can find it here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=70954.msg1403112#msg1403112

If you want to use it together with the post-processing "mod" don't forget to change the secondary list line in it's mod.ini to "secondarylist = blueplanet2-glide,blueplanet2,blueplanet,mediavps_3612;" with the lighting_test_wih being active mod in the launcher.

Offline ION3

I just       added glide to the atlanta myself. ^^

Offline ION3

Don't know if anyone already said something like that:

The one biggest disappointment i had with WIH was when the imperieuse jumped in  in Delena Est and i totally anticipated it and just thought: how lame.  Didn't they have any better idea?

The point when it appeared to me that the campaign would end like that was when in one of the briefings it was said, that the imperieuse should still be in delta serpentis. "Should be", not "is".

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
I didn't expect that, but I expected something. Despite that, it was well pulled off, it had foreshadowing, but it didn't give it away. The only way it could have been more mysterious would have been close to Dues Ex Machina. I think they did a fine job, but you might have a point.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator

The one biggest disappointment i had with WIH was when the imperieuse jumped in  in Delena Est and i totally anticipated it and just thought: how lame.  Didn't they have any better idea?

The point when it appeared to me that the campaign would end like that was when in one of the briefings it was said, that the imperieuse should still be in delta serpentis. "Should be", not "is".

Personal thing really. I was quite happy seeing the Carthage being pounded and my mouth just dropped when the Imperiuse jumped in.

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
Perhaps they thought the Imperieuse was following standard procedures.
If you wreck 10 ships and the 10 appear later in Delta Serpentis, then you can safely assume that the 11th ship you wreck will also appear in Delta Serpentis.
Then again, there are no certanties in war. The best laid out plans go to hell once battle begins. I think they call that effect 'fog of war'

"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Well, I think every other aspect of the trap (capture of the logistics ship, damaging the Hood) was a set up to make victory seem as realistic as possible. . . before destroying the Wargods entirely.

As a GTVA fanboy I was getting frustrated at how smoothly it was going for the clearly inferior UEF, so once the Imp jumped in I had to tell myself "finally!"

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)

Personal thing really. I was quite happy seeing the Carthage being pounded and my mouth just dropped when the Imperiuse jumped in.

Yeah, I enjoyed it. I expected something to go wrong, but not that. Mostly because I was just letting the story wash over me and not really trying to think things through.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Even if you do think things through it makes sense, though only if you've read the Conversations - GTVI had compromised the Federation's source inside the GTVA at this point.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Even if you do think things through it makes sense, though only if you've read the Conversations - GTVI had compromised the Federation's source inside the GTVA at this point.

Yep, I had no problem with the Imperieuse warping in, made sense story wise, and was generally just a kickass scene.

Tevs4eva!
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
This sounded UEF

"The real unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, without anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future.

But the crimes they hope to prevent in that future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present - they are real."

- Commander Aral Vorkosigan, in Shards Of Honor, by Lois McMaster Bujold

and of course the other side gets its say, but perhaps someone has something more apropos

"Nobody is stronger, nobody is weaker than someone who came back. There is nothing you can do to such a person because whatever you could do is less than what has already been done to him. We have already paid the price." Elie Wiesel

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Quotes that could be pro-GTVA

Quote from: George Washington
To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

Quote from: William Sherman
it is only those who have never heard a shot, never heard the shriek and groans of the wounded and lacerated ... that cry aloud for more blood, more vengeance, more desolation.
and
Quote from: William Sherman
You might as well appeal against the thunder-storm as against these terrible hardships of war. They are inevitable, and the only way the people of Atlanta can hope once more to live in peace and quiet at home, is to stop the war, which can only be done by admitting that it began in error and is perpetuated in pride.

Quote from: Sgt. Henry C. Nelson, “To Be Able to Look My Children in the Face,” in Why I Fight, published by the U.S. Army.
Not to “force our ideas on the rest of the world”.... I am fighting for the right of peoples to say how they shall be governed. If they like our form of government, fine. If not, let them have another — but let the choice be theirs, not something handed down to them by a self-styled “Leader” — or a yoke laid on them by an invader....

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Well, I think every other aspect of the trap (capture of the logistics ship, damaging the Hood) was a set up to make victory seem as realistic as possible. . . before destroying the Wargods entirely.

As a GTVA fanboy I was getting frustrated at how smoothly it was going for the clearly inferior UEF, so once the Imp jumped in I had to tell myself "finally!"

Reading conversations I got the impression that Steele's Grand Scheme was as a reaction to the Wargod's successes, not a carefully laid out plan of itself. Bear in mind that Steele had only been in Sol for a short period of time before the Agincourt was stolen, I don't think he would've been able to draw up such an intricate plan in that time.

Also, I can't see the capture of a Logistics ship as being an 'acceptable loss' if it was indeed a plan, it's simply too valuable a piece of hardware.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
It was months:

The Wargods are dead.

The informant. The source that gave us the Agincourt...he must have been turned. Steele threw the Carthage out as bait, gave us a scent, and waited until we bit hard.

And all the while the Imperieuse was waiting, probably somewhere out in the Kuiper Belt, listening for the signal to strike.

It must have been planned weeks in advance...months, maybe. When we thought she'd returned to Delta Serpentis, she'd really just gone to ground.

The Agincourt may or may not have been on purpose. The UEF thought the Imperieus was in Delta Serpentis after Darkest Hour. That's mission #6 out of 16. That entire time the Imperieus was being held in strategic reserve.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 04:35:21 am by Mars »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I suspect the Agincourt was not on purpose. The Imperieuse was probably withdrawn as a general-purpose hole card, a contingency.

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
The Wargods for a logistics ship. I wonder how that ranks on the tactical calculus, taking into account the UEF secret project and all.
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
The Wargods for a logistics ship. I wonder how that ranks on the tactical calculus, taking into account the UEF secret project and all.
Depends on how much hope the UEF is placing in the secret project
The wargods were probably expendable ('cept for laporte)
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them