Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 918360 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
Is it logic to send someone with a spotty psychological record to the heat of combat?

We have no idea what psychological record being "spotty" means by this point in time. It's a not-uncommon sci-fi concept that by the standards of a future society a fighter pilot is often a raving lunatic. Laporte might well have been selected for her specialty because she was borderline, and therefore guaranteed to be both aggressive and relatively unimpressed by the stresses of her job.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I've no doubt there were serious concerns about her suitability, but this being a future where treatment for various physical and mental ailments has presumably advanced a great deal, it was taken as gospel that if she were able to nail the entrance requirements - including checks for just this kind of instability - she would make it in. History alone isn't enough to disqualify when that history presumably lead to (often effective!) treatment.

By comparison, someone born paraplegic in the UEF could doubtless get into the fighter corps assuming their paraplegia was no longer an issue at the time of application and they could pass the physical standards.

Offline -Norbert-

Also there is a desparate war going on. When you need pilots bad, you tend to soften the prerequisits a bit more I guess.
Additionally there are Brie and Mandho. Having a wing leader and an Elder among your aquaintances might help in getting the job you want. While it is theoretically possible, I think it's rather unlikely that from all the 1st fleets wings Laport would end up in the one led by her uncle by coincidence.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I thought she was admitted before the war started. I'm not sure.
Damn I need to play BP again... but that's not a bad thing actually. :p

Offline -Sara-

Doesn't really matter. Could just as well be that the Feyadeen monitored her since her birth and they pulled the strings to get her in, because they know she'll be needed.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline -Norbert-

Considering the "should we be overjoyed or very afraid" line and that she was tested by Vicmouth in the middle of the campaign I somehow doubt it was the Vedayeen who pulled strings for her.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
They would have to be onto the Nagari bit long before anyone who has an immediate, pressing reason to investigate it was, which seems...unlikely.

A Feddie Story

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
You're jumping to conclusions. First we don't know whether the Beis and the Fedayeen are of the same opinion on that matter, especially since they (the Beis) seemed to have learnt about it only recently. Second, the fact that the Bei's received the Vicmouth's report doesn't mean that this is the first report the Fedayeen have made on her. They might have just passed them the most recent data on her when they decided to reveal them her case. We lack data on the relation between the Beis and the fedayeen to make any assumption on that front.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Vicmouth worked for the Council, but this doesn't mean his information didn't reach the Fedayeen (actually it basically guarantees it).

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I was more referring to the people who suggested the Feyadeen got her into the fighter corps to begin with and have been watching her most of her life.

They didn't have a reason to be looking yet, before the war started, because there wasn't a threat or anything to be gained before the node was reopened. Any Feyadeen interest in Naomi will come later than the point they realize there's something to be interested in, and so far as we know that point was the debriefing of Bei.

A Feddie Story

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I'm pretty sure the Elders have been making researches on Nagari long before AoA. They might very well have detected the potential of Laporte when she was young and followed here ever since.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I'm pretty sure the Elders have been making researches on Nagari long before AoA. They might very well have detected the potential of Laporte when she was young and followed here ever since.

Why? There's absolutely no evidence for this. They wouldn't have even had a reason to look into it, and if they did it was a far less urgent one then the Vasudans, who according to BP fluff only came to this a good bit after Capella. Naomi's been alive longer than anyone's had a reason to be interested in her.

A Feddie Story

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
They know about nagari, the last indicator on mission Ken was for it.
el hombre vicio...

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
They know about nagari, the last indicator on mission Ken was for it.

They know about it now. But that doesn't say anything about when they learned.

A Feddie Story

I thought it was heavily implied that the Elders/Fedayeen knew about Nagari because FS1's Alpha 1 had the same gift?
Proud Tev

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I thought it was heavily implied that the Elders/Fedayeen knew about Nagari because FS1's Alpha 1 had the same gift?

But as long as the node was closed, there was no point in pursuing that knowledge. It couldn't gain them anything.

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
What?

Just because the benefits are not readily identifiable does NOT mean you abandon research on the subject.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
What?

Just because the benefits are not readily identifiable does NOT mean you abandon research on the subject.

Tell that to the UEF military

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
The Fedayeen are not UEF.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Then what are they?  NSA/CIA equivalent?  Stazi?  KGB?  They are obviously a military organization and are affiliated with the UEF.

One thing I do know, they are NOT a fanatical theocratic hegemony born from a desert world with giant worms.  :nono:
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.