Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 918576 times)

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
Original design: Tethis Designs, Steve O
Artillery refit: Esa...Rai..., Bradbury

:D

Also: min time between jumps - yay for info!

The details really help! Looks techier now, I can imagine the interior would be tastefully done with the 300-years later version of LED mood lighting ;)

Here's to seeing the ship in action!
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Hmm, I'm curious. The UEF ship designs look awfully good for...well...ramming...has there been any thought about this? (Without making the ship explode, actually.)

Offline -Norbert-

Since FS2 ships explode from the middle outwards, that would actually make a nice scripted sequence, were a Nara smashes through some other ship and comes out, battered but alive on the other side.

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
I could...imagine it out the top of my head actually.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Well, I guess the Blade Itself wasn't very complicated to FRED, since most the goodies are done via scripts...

Totally incorrect. TBI has some extremely complex FREDding, like the capship ETS system, all the ship's abilities (jamming, repair, the menus), so on. I'd say less than half of the cool stuff in the mission is done via scripting.

The Blade Itself was probably on par with Delenda Est in terms of being tricky. Less brute force but more elegance and complexity.

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Since FS2 ships explode from the middle outwards, that would actually make a nice scripted sequence, were a Nara smashes through some other ship and comes out, battered but alive on the other side.
So...I actually did it. The Nara came in a bit too early though but...you get it.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I would expect them to use it for gas mining and the like. There's nothing really inhabitable about Venus or anything around it.

Actually...
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

So...I actually did it. The Nara came in a bit too early though but...you get it.

Hahahaha Awesome. Plus, I'm really digging the optimized ships, guys. I think that color scheme suits the Nara more. Cant wait to see the Karuna.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Ahh, missed the nod on the Solaris poster. Lance Henriksen still has my vote for Admiral Byrne.

The lighting on those makes them look really unattractive. I'll bet the sexed up Nara will look much better in that pic, hopefully along with the nuDeimos with the next release of the MVPs in the distant future. :)

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Totally. Although I think mainly because I was so close to the ships...plus the explosions. Oh and, including the Nara firing it's cannons.

The optimized ships look...awfully reflective though, haha. Not that I don't like it, it's pretty cool.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Awsm collision pic is awsm.

I just realized that that was the front half of the Nara in that pic, meaning that poor Deimos got speared. :lol:

Though to be fair I'm quite glad that FS in general has averted that whole "ramming always works" BS.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Well ramming never works when you just bounce off the hull. :P

Offline Luis Dias

So I'm kind of slow and I'm very tired today, you'll excuse me if I'm saying gibberish, but isn't GTVA behavior shivan-like? I mean, unilateral war without warning, without justification (apart from we don't like you)? And if so, could we infer the reasons of the shivans' actions in FS1 and FS2 based upon the reasons of GTVA's actions?

It almost seems to me like a giant school lesson of pain and misery, one which all living beings must succeed in order to get somewhere? "We must teach them that pacifism won't work", says GTVA. "WeÊe♂ mVs┬ t£ach thÕse specÞÆs to defÊnd themselvês", say the shivans.

What a bloody mess. I should get to sleep. Oh, and Laporte gets on my nerves.

Well, to be fair to the GTVA, as aggressive as this whole plan was, the original intention was to force the issue relatively peacefully. The war was never supposed to happen. So I get where you might be drawing the comparison, but I dont think it quite holds up.

Plus, I'm pretty sure "we dont like you" was never at the forefront of their reasoning.

The GTVA has several good reasons for going to war with Earth.  Long story short, they believe conquering Earth is the only way to keep mankind able to fend off the next Shivan incursion.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Luis Dias

Plus, I'm pretty sure "we dont like you" was never at the forefront of their reasoning.

Well GTVA doesn't like Ubuntu's politics, ideology, philosophy, the "irrationality" of the Elders, and so on, and so on. Might as well just say "I hate you, you sissy pacifistic commie little hippie bastards, ur gonna put all of us in danger!"

It isn't that they don't like Ubuntu, its that they don't believe that it can protect humanity accurately when Shivan Ragnarok rolls around. Whether or not they like it is completely irrelevant to their decision.

Actually it is, read GTVI's report on Ubuntu. The Terran assembly despises Ubuntu because if it spread into GTVA systems, terran's would flock to the UEF because of it. Basically, unchecked spread of Ubuntu would severely undermine the Terran Assembly's power. :)
Proud Tev

Yes, thereby, in their minds, undermining Humanity's ability to defend itself from the Shivans, as was stated above. The argument isn't whether they like it or not, the argument is that the GTVA's more personal feeling about Ubuntu were irrelevant in the face of all the great logical reasons they could subjugate Earth.