Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 918799 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
Just swap the Narayana's main guns out in FRED.

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Hmm, I'm curious. Why doesn't the GTVA do EMP strikes as well? It could very well mess with a lot of people and doing a EMP strike along with bombing run would seriously mess up capital ships. (And a general annoyance to players)

I got this idea when my Raynor, for some reason, fired a spread of EMP missiles off it's bow, like saturation fire. It looked pretty...cool. Especially when I watched a Narayana's missiles just...stop in mid-space.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
EMP strikes were in several missions but were removed because they're really annoying for players.

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Isn't EMP the point to annoy? Odd...must be really effective as a psychological warfare weapon. I won't press on.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Isn't EMP the point to annoy? Odd...must be really effective as a psychological warfare weapon. I won't press on.
Yeah, but annoying isn't fun. And games are supposed to be fun.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

No, they literally make the game unplayable and break player mission experience by rendering key messages unreadable.

Putting Morningstar turrets on every capship would be super effective but it's annoying as hell.

Putting Morningstar turrets on every capship would be super effective but it's annoying as hell.

Oh God Inferno flashbacks.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Battle of Neptune might get revisited/finished if enough people want it bad enough (don't quote me on that.  It's Dilmah's mission).
Just to clear things up on this front, the mission itself is actually in a completed state, however this was before Furian AI was adopted, so what's needed is about a weekend or so on my part to sit here in my underwear and rebalance the mission for the new AI. Might buy myself a case of coca-cola and try it soon, actually. :)

Can I put in a request for the Chimeras and Bellerophons in mission be changed to Deimos/Diomedes?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Yeah that would make more sense...

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
But then the Nara would probably kill stuff quicker if the Chimera destroying it is changed to a Deimos or Diomedes...

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
That's probably fixable, and Diomedes can kill things only marginally slower than a Chimera- it just needs to be positioned with its target *above* it.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
There's no issue putting a Chimera or a Belle there if you really want.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I think Scotty had plans for most of the ships in the battlegroup though, and having these guys there would mess stuff up.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
It could be that Chimeras and Bellerophons have been much more widely produced than the seven or eight we've seen.

Offline Luis Dias

So I finally ended BP: WiH. It was not until recently that I had a machine that could even run it to the bitter end and now that I have it, I still have to deal with huge fps downtimes in Delenda Est, even if I downgrade graphics.... which is something of a crime given the aesthetic beauty of that whole battle.

Now my review.

Spoiler:
I started the campaign with little patience to read the personnal logs, although I began to regret it halfway the campaign. These texts really put the missions in context, and so I might have missed some key elements to the plot in the start.

In the first missions I was already hating my own avatar. It's somewhat irritating to see "yourself" uttering silliness from this ubuntu cocky fighter who seemed to come out directly from some self-centering education program bubble. If FreeSpace 2 was about how "you" didn't matter *at all* in the grand scheme of things, in BP:WiH you start off as not mattering *at all* while acting as if you really are the center of the universe. The peak of facepalming is the moment when Laporte sings victory, minutes after seeing admiral Steele beamraping a whole station to smithereens. Even if one doesn't know anything more about the war, clearly it was out of place, Laporte still had a lot to learn.

Fortunately, she did. Her attitude gets tolerable further down the campaign and it is actually downgraded a bit, at the same time the player starts to make an observable dent, and so some cockyness starts being justified.

I ended the campaign liking her.

The whole campaign breathes astonished polish detail in every level. First, it made me feel for the characters for the first time in FS2. This was something that not even BP:AoA managed to do, nor any other campaign (like Derelict). Characters had depth and, more importantly, had an arc. The romance between Simms and Laporte was more than decorational, and the last declaration was both beautiful and terrifying, giving Simms death. I can only wonder how much will Laporte go full insane, or if she passes through some kind of shock reset, helped by the Fedayeen (and the Elders?) and becomes some sort of Justicar that will blow GTVA to ashes all by herself.

Secondly, the ships are beautiful and used to their full strategic potential. The contrast between the "beamrapers" and the "missileoverwhelmers" strategy made good chess moves in the screen, as if a side had two knights trying to beat two bishops.

Third, the whole campaign has an arc to it, and hits the right spots in each moment. For instance, in the beggining, UEF is still trying to not lose too much. Gets a beating in Earth, and then Laporte is transfered to a different unit who will do things rogueish. And they start to kick ass. And right at the end where we would really close the arc with a joyous bang.... we get a real punch in the stomach. And it feels right.

Fourth, it is diverse. I never got bored. I even thought I was going to be very bored in the moon's mission, but alas I wasn't. Very detailed and complex missions that are always surprising you with novelties.

To the answers polled. (At last you boring dolt!)

I identify with Federation. But I do respect GTVA, and I'm not as shocked by its amorality as I felt the campaign was pushing me to be.
I used multiple checkpoints. I'm a bad player. Checkpoints are a big help ;).
Called the bluff. Way more intense ;).
Darkest Hour was right, I guess. I didn't repeat the mission, but then again I don't ever play on hard (I play for fun on my laptop over my lap).
What do you mean "let Xinny and Zero shoot me down"? Is that a choice or a failure? Hehe.
I failed first Simms conversation, since I couldn't ever have her say what I actually wanted. The problem: I didn't read the briefing words carefully enough. Once I said "what the hell, let's try full blown escalation", it all went well. Ah.
Nyx? What Nyx? :P
I don't remember Aristeia's pointbuy.
I was both shocked, appalled and thinking "what a great move, you asshole Steele". And when Vasudans arrived, it quickly escalated to "what a ****ing bastardly genious, now I want to kill you". So, there, great great script. At first I was unconvinced that the Vasudans were that "stupid" to believe in such a strange suggestion by Steele. Consider: why wouldn't Steele try to boycott this reunion? That would be only logical. Why would the Vasudan take his advice seriously? Why wouldn't he consider the evidence that UEF tried to put on the table? A little stretched, but it passed on my BS detector.
Delenda Est isn't hard. It isn't hard when its frame rates are above 15. It's a ****ing great mission, and reminded me of the last mission of Inferno, in its basic structure (objective: kill the background battleship, but before you have to kill the cruiser screens and the bomber waves, with warping-in cruisers to go for the kill). There are obvious differences. Delenda Est isn't exactly a BoE, and it was full of incredible tactics. The last appearance of the Imperieuse really surprised me.

Can't wait for BP:WiH2.  :yes:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yay! Glad you liked it.

Offline crizza

Just replaying AoA...Concerning Noemi Laporte and her conection with the shivans...
In the mission where you have to protect the vishnan ships against a Moloch, sveral cruisers and strikecraft, there are several containers and after playing Vasagos Dirge I'm very sceptical towards unscanned containers...
After scanning you get the folloing lines, ordered by the numbers:

SAC 3  6: He Waits in the cooling ruin
SAC 3  7: For a daughter made out of war
SAC 3  8: Brothers! Brothers! Paramatma!
SAC 3  9: Why are you so cold?
SAC 3 44: You look to the walls and works
SAC 3 45: We dance in the garden of life
SAC 3 46: You look for the one from many
SAC 3 47: We look for the one above all.

Well paramatma is something like ... consciousness merging with the highest self...well, I don't quite get it, so maybe someone could search Wikipedia, Brahman is mentioned there as well.^^

Theory: "Someone is waiting in the cooling ruins" the cooling ruins could be Capella...and someone is waiting there...the Dante perhaps?
"The daughter made out of war" could be Noemi Laporte...

If this was posted and discussed somewhere, please provide me a link...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It wasn't discussed yet. Good find.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
So, supposing that Noemi is the chosen one.  The one to lead the battle against Dante and secure humanities place in the cosmos.  How in the hell do you kill it?  And no, I refuse to allow her to do a Commodore Decker and charge down it's gullet with a bomber full of planet cracker bombs.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Dammit. Now we have to come up with a new plan.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns