Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 918137 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
I think BP has actually lowered the yield of most weapons in their canon, but they're still absurdly high
Still, I vaguely recall a comment that basically said there was more firepower being slung about in a couple minutes than every war up until the 21st century put together.

Offline -Norbert-

Although I think ultimately the war was ended due to the atomic bombing, the Pacific just hastened their defeat, and allowed the Allies to move ground forces to the Home Islands. They were prepared for a bloody...bloodbath on their own soil.
When will people finally learn that the nukes were not the reason for the end of the war.
Japans economy was close to collapsing, they were close to running out of fuel for their ships and planes and they were already offering conditional surrender, with the only condition being allowed to keep the Emperor.
The nukes were completely unnecessary for anything other than showing the soviet union that they had them and that they had more than one.

As for surface-to-space missiles, I doubt they would be effective in FS2. Any missile with enough fuel and a strong enough engine to break the atmosphere, would have to be a certain size and that would make them big enough to be shot down by point defense. So unless you could fire a massive swarm of them, they'd never hit the target.
Maybe it would work if it was surface-launched SSMs, but I doubt anything, even something as "small" as an SSM missile (if I remember correctly, they are bigger than some fighters), can be launched from the surface of a planet.
But maybe the moon has a weak enough gravity well to be used as an SSM missile base, if the UEF ever uses their own version of this weapon.

Nope, it's not what they want. However, it's what they can do, and it's what they will do if pushed hard enough.
I don't think the GTVA can be pushed hard enough to resort to dropping asteriods on Earth, even if they are close to being pushed out of Sol. If word of that get's into GTVA space - and word of something of that magnitude WILL get through - they'll have full scale riots on the majority of their planets not to mention wide-spread mutiny in the fleet. They were only able to finish the portal project with the promis of a reunion. Genocide will be the death sentence (politically for sure, most likely also literally) to the current GTVA leadership. In the worst case it might even lead to a fracturing of the terran part of the GTVA, because the systems declare themselfs independent from the monster the GTVA has become.
And that's not even taking into account what kind of reaction you would get from the Vasudans, Vishnans and Shivans. Or what it would do to the other planets of the UEF.
Right now they only want the GTVA stopped. After such a massacre, they'd be out for blood. And not just a few troops, but pretty much every surviving person in the entire Solar System.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I have a funny feeling the GTVA is capable of a lot. . .

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I think any direct act of aggression against Earth might well be politically dangerous for them.

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
The Galactic Terran-Vasudan Alliance. If they devastated Terra...it wouldn't be the GTVA anymore. Maybe Neo-Terr...never mind. Oh 14th Battlegroup, why did you have to chance upon a meson fluctuation?

Offline -Norbert-

Because if they hadn't, we would never have had the chance to play Blue Planet AoA and who can tell what WiH would have been like.
Not to mention hours and hours of discussing the reasons and consequences for the war, the role of the Shivans and the Vishnans in the universe, the enlightenment of the Human race, or even the morality of killing civilians.
AoA also brings us a better perspective of the civil war and the moment the Renjian get's blown up and the Beis desert is priceless.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It does seem like a rather unusual chance event, doesn't it?

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
It very well sure is. AoA was quite...well, makes you think a lot. Kinda spooky at times, like the Duke. It really spooked me out, what the hell was going on and why won't it stop.

Offline -Sara-

I always assumed the Vishans (or maybe for an unexplained reason the Shivans) had drawn the 14th battlegroup into their alternate universe. Which also makes me think if the Vishans and Shivans really get involved into the war and start breaking rules, they can make entire fleets disappear by manipulating jump nodes.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

The Vishans (and presumably the Shivans) have already demonstrated the ability to randomly throw matter across dimensions and back again. Physics is their plaything. If it ever came down to either race being allowed to break their "rules," there wouldn't be a war. Even if their powers only apply in subspace, we've become so dependent on that one factor for travel and communication that society in the GTVA would simply break down and cease. Sol might be okay, but theres nothing stopping said Alien Gods from steamrolling them out of existence through more conventional means.

Offline Delta_V

I always assumed the Vishans (or maybe for an unexplained reason the Shivans) had drawn the 14th battlegroup into their alternate universe. Which also makes me think if the Vishans and Shivans really get involved into the war and start breaking rules, they can make entire fleets disappear by manipulating jump nodes.
Yeah, when I first played AoA, I didn't really buy the whole "fluctuation in the meson reactors" thing.  That might have been a side-effect of jumping into another universe or possibly how they actually jumped universes, but I always had a feeling that the Vishnans were ultimately responsible for it.  The only problem with that, according to their conversations w/ Sam, apparently the Vishnans, at least the ones present in that alternate universe, were not aware of the humans until they showed up in that alternate universe.  That implies one of two things: either the Vishnans weren't responsible for the 14th battlegroup ending up in the alternate universe, or they lied to Sam about their knowledge, involvement, etc.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
There's a third option, too.

Offline Luis Dias

Shivans.

And a fourth: shivans and vishnans from a reality are different from the other. Vishnans from one dimension may not be aware of the same things vishnans from the other are.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
here's a fifth one:

"our" shivans are different from the "apocalypse 'verse" shivans and both are alternate universe versions of the vishnans
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Shivan and Vishnan sound so alike too, pronounced. Because you can construct Shivann out of Vishnan, maybe.

Offline -Norbert-

That is due to the origin of the names in Indias history, since those two and Brahma are (hindu?) gods.

Offline starlord

actually, all three are part of the trinity formed by the essential hindu gods...

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Surely another possibility is that an as yet unknown third party is involved in the 14th Battlegroup's meson fluctuation.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline -Norbert-

Maybe the Fedayeen, acting on behalf of the Vishnans, or whatever beings they really are in contact with, were sabotaging the portal with energy emissions from their side of the node.
Either to deliberately get the 14th bg into that other universe, or with the objective to just make them disappear and thus delay the invasion.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Shivans.

Nope.

And a fourth: shivans and vishnans from a reality are different from the other. Vishnans from one dimension may not be aware of the same things vishnans from the other are.

The Vishnans were described as being able to move between universes as we move between rooms.