Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 918145 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
Not that I've played this campaign in some time, but you are certain that its solely down to 3.6.14-RC builds and not the WiH Pt.1 upgrade, or the combination of the two?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Just ~K the Carthage if you're having problems with the mission.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft

Yeah. What could possibly go wrong? It's what the objective is, after all.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
And funnily enough, I was able to get the Ace medal for this campaign... and got it with Admiral Petrarch's voice.

It could probably be rectified easily, but it's probably also a minor issue so...

Yeah. What could possibly go wrong? It's what the objective is, after all.

My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I was gonna just go for the "fail five times and skip" option, but my ego wants me to see this through.

... it's sad, even on Very Easy, the Katana and Altan Orde die as fast as even Easy or Medium. I even read the issue on the RC5 thread about how basically the mission is forced to a near unwinnable situation.

I would have thought you'd have put in the Recommendations tab, "if these ships keep dying on you, the team's working on it. Your best option right now is to cheat or skip."

We didn't even know about the bug until relatively recently.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I always imagined the successor of Flak would be some kind of energy or plasma blast shockwave, maximizing the chance of hitting the target with its large surface. A sort of flat bubble cut in half. It'd be impenetrable by missiles and bombs also, making it a strong capital ship defense. But that's no fun for a game. :P

Bit like:

Hadouken!!!
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline -Sara-

Hadouken!!!

C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!

Okay enough. :P
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 10:28:46 am by -Sara- »
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Aesaar

Burst Flak with Standard Flak refire rate.  Do it.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
I say increase the projectile limit somehow so that we can have some real fun...

Offline -Norbert-

I thought the Director's Cut of AoA nerfed those shockwaves so they wouldn't vaporize fully-shielded/armored ships?
There is a difference between instantly vaporising and hurting.
In original AoA a shivan megabomb's shockwave destroyed a full health and fully shielded Aurora at 100 m if my memory doesn't exaggerate all those frustrating death'.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
So get hit at 101 meters and not die. The difference is distance at this point.
And I can't remember a shockwave causing severe damage unless I had no shields ever since.
That must mean something.

I just know that taking a SSM strike when piloting a uhlan ends with your death, other than that, I don't  think I've ever been outright killed by bombs in BP, even in AoA r1.

Offline -Norbert-

Then you were either very lucky or very carefull.
The most frustrating instance of "you were killed by a bomb shockwave" was in Forced Entry. I fought through the mission perfectly, got every objective covered, disarmed all four Ravana beams. All I had to do was, return to the Temeraire and sit still till the mission ends, but of course the Ravana had to shoot down one of the Temeraires torpedoes right beside me, vaporizing me in the process. :banghead:

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Granted its been a while but the last time I played WiH I had a number of unfortunate friendly fire incidents with Darts, namely my wingmen would end up shooting me in the back with them when we're all chasing a Tev.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i don't think i ever got a single hit with any of the UEF swarm missiles, so i stopped using them.  javelins for dogfighting and whatever special purpose missiles the mission called for.
I like to stare at the sun.

Then you were either very lucky or very carefull.
The most frustrating instance of "you were killed by a bomb shockwave" was in Forced Entry. I fought through the mission perfectly, got every objective covered, disarmed all four Ravana beams. All I had to do was, return to the Temeraire and sit still till the mission ends, but of course the Ravana had to shoot down one of the Temeraires torpedoes right beside me, vaporizing me in the process. :banghead:
Those are truly the most annoying deaths. I just played through the WCS mod recently and was killed in a similar way (except it was an explosion from the last ship in the game blowing up) after a 40 minute dogfighting spree. Took me 3 days to start the mission again.  :(

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
i don't think i ever got a single hit with any of the UEF swarm missiles, so i stopped using them.  javelins for dogfighting and whatever special purpose missiles the mission called for.

You missed out, Darts are awesome.

Offline Kolgena

I have trouble hitting anything with Darts. They are fantastic for putting enemy fighters on the defensive though.

Paveways are extremely useful, especially in Aristea. I'd use slammers, but I find it hard to time when to set off the warhead. For all other occasions, hellfires own.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
The first time playing through WiH, I killed nearly everything on the field with slammers.  I'd get entire wings with one double shot.  After that though, it got a lot harder to use them it seems.  I could never seem to get multiple kills with them again.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
Yeah the UEF swarm missiles are pretty worthless for me.  The slammer I think it is (the one that explodes into a bunch of smaller missiels, i never use it) is way too slow, I try to launch it at a range where it wont need to maneuver to hit the enemy (cause its so damn slow turning too) but when I launch my wingmen get ahead of me and scatter the enemy wing before I can explode it.  And when I very rarely manage to pop it near enemies still in a tight formation, most of the missiles just totally destroy a single fighter.

So yeah, pretty worthless at least to my experience.

e:  That heatseeker that is kinda like the tornado is really really nice though.