Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 918404 times)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
Juice shouldn't be too much of a problem if you make any use at all of your ETS

Juice shouldn't be too much of a problem if you make any use at all of your ETS
Is this the part where someone starts a dick-measuring contest about which difficulty level we play on?

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Shouldn't be, because I generally play Very Hard. I had a lot of trouble with weapon energy before I discovered the joys of ETS via a video Goober posted. . . five or so years ago.

Offline Kolgena

Not to sound contemptuous, but it seems to me that the majority of the UEF fighters were designed for the player to micromanage ETS a little across any difficulty. Guns, shields, and burners all have good capacity and **** recharge-to-full times compared to GTVA fighters, so pushing around energy as needed seems to make dogfights a fair bit easier. You don't have to play with the ETS, but it sure helps.

(btw, there is no "very hard". Only Very Easy, Easy, Medium, Hard, Insane.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
Thats just because he is lying.  I kinda figured thats the whole idea behind dick measuring.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Thats just because he is lying.  I kinda figured thats the whole idea behind dick measuring.

Whoa, what the heck? Please keep it civil. There's no call for this kind of personal attack over a video game mod.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
Um, I kinda figured it would be taken as a joke.  I wasn't the person to introduce dick measuring to the conversation.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Shouldn't be, because I generally play Very Hard. I had a lot of trouble with weapon energy before I discovered the joys of ETS via a video Goober posted. . . five or so years ago.

Don't forget the Shield<->Laser function. May be more of a gimmick than a really useful function, but that can be used to provide an extra boost to either gun or shield energy when you need it.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I think Laser<->Shields would be more useful if it transfered more energy per button press, like about the amount used in the Xwing series games.  Currently I just hold down scroll-lock as my "panic" button and forget about shields to lasers :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline -Norbert-

I think the "laser<->shield function" is what the other refered to as the ETS (Energy Transfer System).

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
I think the "laser<->shield function" is what the other referred to as the ETS (Energy Transfer System).
No, there are a couple of buttons that will convert shield energy to gun energy and gun energy to shield energy.  I believe by default they are 'Scroll Lock' and 'pause/break'.

The ETS is about recharge rate of the gun/shield/afterburner. The convert buttons actually move the energy stored in one to the other.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
I spam laser -> shield SO much. Especially amid flak.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Kolgena

I just empty energy from guns. Afterburner reserves matter just as much as shields (if not more so) if you're getting shot at.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
Let me just say I had no idea that existed.  I would probably die a lot less if I knew how to dump my other reserves into my shields as well.

Offline -Norbert-

I think the "laser<->shield function" is what the other referred to as the ETS (Energy Transfer System).
No, there are a couple of buttons that will convert shield energy to gun energy and gun energy to shield energy.  I believe by default they are 'Scroll Lock' and 'pause/break'.

The ETS is about recharge rate of the gun/shield/afterburner. The convert buttons actually move the energy stored in one to the other.
Sorry about my confusion on the point, my FS2 is in german, so I'm not 100% sure about the english terms. I really thought the ETS was the actual transfering of the energy, as the name would suggest, rather than changing the recharge rates.

Offline Kolgena

Let me just say I had no idea that existed.  I would probably die a lot less if I knew how to dump my other reserves into my shields as well.

If you're referring to what I said, I didn't mean you could take your primary and afterburner reserves and move them around. I simply meant that throwing out all your gun energy on the ETS is good for survival.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Now I'm getting confused, because you can take your primary reserves and move them around. Maybe you can do this with afterburner too, I don't know.

Offline Kolgena

When we say reserves, do we mean that curved bar on the right side of the target indicator bracket? If so, my mind is blown.

edit: WHAT IS THIS MADNESS MY MIND IS BLOWN

Can someone fill me in on the mechanics of the system? Is sloshing around guns and  shields energy 100% efficient? We don't lose energy in the process? What's the conversion rate between gun and shield energy?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 07:13:23 pm by Kolgena »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
:D

Have fun, it's a super useful mechanic.

Offline Kolgena

Alright, so transfers back and forth are 100% efficient. Conversion rates seem terrible. You can empty a full bar of gun energy and not get much shielding back, but this might be fighter dependent. I only tried on a herc 1. Conversion speed is great for guns->shields, but terrible for shields->guns. Still, I can't believe I've played this game for years without knowing you could do this.

Does AI use this ship function? Fury AI or otherwise?

On a Ulysses, ~4.5 bars of gun power = full shields
On an Ares, ~3.5 bars of gun power = full shields

Seems to be fighter dependent, (so there is a fixed ratio used between actual points in gun power and shield power) but if a full bar of gun energy gives you about a full shield quadrant back, that's nothing to sneeze at. I only wish shields-> guns was faster to help sustained kayser or maxim fire.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 07:33:18 pm by Kolgena »