Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 918347 times)

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
Sorry about my confusion on the point, my FS2 is in german, so I'm not 100% sure about the english terms. I really thought the ETS was the actual transferring of the energy, as the name would suggest, rather than changing the recharge rates.
No problem.  The usage of transfer in ETS is rather obtuse even to a native English speaker.  I assume the transfer that :v: was referring to is the continuous transfer of energy from the power source (reactor, generator, etc) to the three primary consumers of energy in a fighter; the weapons, the shields, and the engines.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
The sad thing is that it doesn't seem to work on multiplayer. I would have died less if it worked better there.

I've always wondered why :v: didn't mention something like this in the tutorials, when they covered almost everything else.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
I've always wondered why :v: didn't mention something like this in the tutorials, when they covered almost everything else.

:wtf: lolwut? The ETS system were mentioned in some TSM (forgot which one exactly) modules early in the main campaign of FS2.
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
They didn't mention some of the more intricate commands because 1) they didn't want to overload the player with a lot of information in one mission (and making two TSMs about the ETS alone is silly) 2) FS and FS2 came out in an environment full of space sims, their intended audience were space sim fans, and since these mechanics are nothing out of the ordinary, they probably figured that the real pro space sim players would find these controls and figure them out by themselves.

Also note that the FS2 main campaign at least does not require that much micromanagement.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline crizza

Hm...just a thought regarding the Karuna Mk2...
Since the UEF can't afford a long drydock refit for existing Karunas...would a certain Karuna, which was last seen floating around a certain sun, not be good choice?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
A ship reduced to barely more than scrap metal and molten pieces, probably far beyond repairs, bathed in radiations, which reactor is probably going to give up the ghost in a significantly destructive way, stranded in a not really safe nor easily accessible zone of space ? Yeah... riiiight. The perfect choice indeed... :rolleyes:
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Crybertrance

Also note that the FS2 main campaign at least does not require that much micromanagement.

I managed to play most of the campaigns available on Medium without significant use of the ETS (except, the occasional shift to more power to engines to escape a sticky situation, or added power to shields during a bombing run).

So I think extreme micromanagement of the ETS isn't at all necessary.

*Cybertrance thinks this hype over micromanagement of the ETS is silly*
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

I managed to play most of the campaigns available on Medium without significant use of the ETS (except, the occasional shift to more power to engines to escape a sticky situation, or added power to shields during a bombing run).

So I think extreme micromanagement of the ETS isn't at all necessary.

*Cybertrance thinks this hype over micromanagement of the ETS is silly*

It's not, it's insanely powerful. Being able to send weapons power directly to shields is literally the difference between life or death a lot of times.

Offline crizza

A ship reduced to barely more than scrap metal and molten pieces, probably far beyond repairs, bathed in radiations, which reactor is probably going to give up the ghost in a significantly destructive way, stranded in a not really safe nor easily accessible zone of space ? Yeah... riiiight. The perfect choice indeed... :rolleyes:
Well, no need to be sarcastic Mat.
It was just a thought and who would add such a ship into the table etc not to be used, I just came up with an option, how to explain the appearance of such a ship, well, the Fedayen(hell, how is it spelled?) will most likely have one or two.

Offline Crybertrance

Well during  Sunglare, that certain ship didn't appear to be molten, useless scrap...It was still fairly functional as it was able to atleast sustain the crew till the Fedayeen arrived. Considering the level of technology, removing he radiations shouldn't be such a chore. I think it would be the perfect candidate definitely better than building one from scratch...

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
who would add such a ship into the table etc not to be used
* MatthTheGeek looks at retail tables for FS1, ST and FS2
Yeah, right. Nobody in their right mind would add unused stuff in their tables, just because they'd like it to be there.

Well during Sunglare, that certain ship didn't appear to be molten, useless scrap...It was still fairly functional as it was able to atleast sustain the crew till the Fedayeen arrived.
Wait what.
It had critical hull breaches all over the place, more than half the subsystems were history, hell it was going to crash on the frigging sun. I don't have the mission file in front of me but I'm pretty sure its reactor was trashed after the crash jump. 80% of the crew was dead due to damage and radiations. That's not exactly my definiton of "still fairly functional and able to sustain the crew".

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Offline crizza

It is even in the techroom, but maybe this was an oversight.
And 80% of the crew were incapacitated and in critical condition, well, most of them would've been dead, yes, but hey...unless I get a snipped, that the Indus was left drifting into the sun...
Bad example, I know, but in WW2 they repaired some ships and to see the Indus after the beating at Saturn would most likely rise the spirits like "Yeah, we took a beating, but we're stronger then before."

Probably the most important factor in whether the Indus is recoverable or not is the composition of her hull; this determines which activation products are formed by neutron capture and charged particle capture near the sun. Depending on what they are, the time the Indus needs to cool before radiation reaches near-background levels could range from minutes to millennia.

Both the UEF and the GTVA have shown that they're pretty good at taking critically damaged ships and getting them back in fighting condition within a few days/weeks. Recall also that the Carthage received her upgrades after being pretty badly gutted in combat during the SSI.

The Masyaf says that they're sending repair teams to the Indus, rather than just sending over transports to evacuate everyone. Assuming the Masyaf's captain is not an idiot or a lunatic, he wouldn't put his engineering crew at risk trying to repair an irreparable ship.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
The Masyaf says that they're sending repair teams to the Indus, rather than just sending over transports to evacuate everyone. Assuming the Masyaf's captain is not an idiot or a lunatic, he wouldn't put his engineering crew at risk trying to repair an irreparable ship.
It sounded more like "get someone to hold the thing together long enough to evacuate everyone".

Offline crizza

It sounded more like "get someone to hold the thing together long enough to evacuate everyone".
Well, so it sounded for you ;)
For us it sounded like "we'll get you and the Indus out of here."

Edit: On a complete unrelated note to my Karuna Mk2 thing...
I'm just replaying the campaign...in the mission Ken... there is one line spoken by Steele "Check your six etc"
Is it possible, that Ken has told Laporte to destroy the GTVA and Steele has some other "Ken" which told him to destroy the UEF? I mean he say's "They can't get in if you lock them out"...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 01:33:14 pm by crizza »

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
The Indus was two hours away from "the point of no return", so I would assume that it was still repairable when the Masyaf got to it.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Aesaar

I have doubts the war will last long enough for the Indus to be repaired, even if it could.  How long does the UEF have now?  A few weeks, maybe a month?

Offline Kolgena

The Indus was two hours away from "the point of no return", so I would assume that it was still repairable when the Masyaf got to it.

I always thought this meant the amount of gravity experienced by the ship would exceed any propulsion systems the Indus could conjure, so it was impossible to rescue the ship from the gravity well.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i've always assumed the Masyaf was just going to tow it out.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline qwadtep

Given that the Masyaf is Fedayeen, there's always the possibility that they just rescued Laporte and let the rest of the Indus crew go spiraling into the sun. Just sayin'.