Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 918368 times)

Offline Kolgena

Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
Well, it's not like they're lacking for room when 80% of the crew has now become cadaveric and in no need of evacuation.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Incapacitated, not dead

Offline qwadtep

Between the severity of radiation poisoning and the medicine shortages in the UEF, "incapacitated" is the same as "dead," in the Indus' case. Barring Laporte and her Nagari-armor, they'll be lucky to see the end of the war from a hospice bed.

Offline Kolgena

Refresh my memory. Are people incapacitated/unconscious from heat stroke or radiation exposure? Because if it was radiation exposure, there isnt much you can do for radiation sickness at doses that knock you out after a few hours. In fact, I'm pretty sure you'd be dead a couple hours after passing out once you don't have much useful DNA to speak of.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Radiation, that's for sure. I don't think heat trouble are mentioned anywhere in Sunglare fiction/briefing.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Aesaar

Thermal pressure is mentioned as being what'll actually kill the Indus.

Check your radiation badges every five minutes. We have less than two hours before we reach lethal intensities. Shortly thereafter, thermal pressure will exceed hull tolerances and the Indus will disintegrate.

Also, the Masyaf arrives 38 minutes before the point of no return, not two hours, according to the text at the actual mission start.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 12:20:03 am by Aesaar »

Offline Kolgena

Yeah... If you're passing out from radiation alone, you're invariably going to be dead. No treatments short of a Lazarus Project could save someone at that point.

Offline Damage

• I'm a Major.
An idea that just occurred to me, how badly off will the survivors be?  Is Laporte going to be suffering from radiation sickness for the rest of the campaign?  Will that limit her effectiveness as a pilot, or force her to take on more suicidal missions since she's dying anyway?
I didn't feel like putting anything here.  Then I did it anyway just to be contrary.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
An idea that just occurred to me, how badly off will the survivors be?  Is Laporte going to be suffering from radiation sickness for the rest of the campaign?  Will that limit her effectiveness as a pilot, or force her to take on more suicidal missions since she's dying anyway?

Thats... a pretty good point.  The inevitable collapse of the UEF aside, R2 could be pretty grim...

e: that or they have an absurdly effective method of dealing with radiation damage and she will be totally fine, my money is on something to that effect now that i think on it...

Considering the amount of radiation the average warship/bomber/interceptor crew member/pilot deals with in close proximity in the form of nuclear yield missiles, I bet that some method of radiation treatment exists. 

Offline Kolgena

I would have thought that management was primarily through prevention/shielding. Once you're irradiated by huge doses, you're pretty much ****ed. If we want to stay realistic, I would venture to say that no medical treatment will ever be able to recover a patient from severe radiation poisoning. That would be akin to doing something to allow a computer program, after replacing/moving/deleting/adding to its binary data at random, to almost immediately be able to repair itself and run most of its original functions. On hardware you just sprayed water on. Yeah.... heavy doses of radiation is pretty devastating on life.

I guess if you backed up your mind and just downloaded yourself to a new body, you could save yourself. However, I have no idea how you could rapidly induce the formation of an entire backed-up connectome into a brain without outright killing it.

Offline qwadtep

To be precise, acute radiation poisoning first destroys the immune system (proliferating bone marrow and lymphatic cells), followed by the gastrointestinal lining (allowing gut flora to enter the bloodstream and cause sepsis). Recovery is dependent on the patient's ability, with the aid of blood transfusions and broad-spectrum antibiotics, to fight off the infection. Further radiation exposure destroys the cells of the liver, lungs (Simms), kidneys, and nervous system. Neurological symptoms invariably mean death.

So to get a measure of just how screwed the Indus crew is, going off US military projections, the Indus crew can look forward to several months of hospitalization with a mortality rate of upwards of 50% in the best case scenario.

I'm sure the UEF has made great advances in medicine over the past thousand years, but it still takes time to heal and medicine is in short supply. I'm sure their Magical☆Nagari Girl will get priority, though.

Mmh, yeah... wonder how far the UEF has advanced in the field of body cloning..

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
No brain uploading or re-sleeving.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Mental healing can do wonders.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Damage

• I'm a Major.
I find it highly likely that Laporte will get some kind of preferential treatment (especially since she's a main character and all) but I'm going to stick with the notion that she's at least severely sick for the rest of her severely shortened natural life.  I find this convenient because it makes her (as a high-rated Nagari-sensitive human) a limited use weapon.
I didn't feel like putting anything here.  Then I did it anyway just to be contrary.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
I find it highly likely that Laporte will get some kind of preferential treatment (especially since she's a main character and all) but I'm going to stick with the notion that she's at least severely sick for the rest of her severely shortened natural life.  I find this convenient because it makes her (as a high-rated Nagari-sensitive human) a limited use weapon.

That will probably piss the GTVA off more than anyone once they finally get their hands on her.

e: Assuming she doesn't die gloriously in fighter combat, that is.

Offline qwadtep

That will probably piss the GTVA off more than anyone once they finally get their hands on her.

e: Assuming she doesn't die gloriously in fighter combat, that is.
That's if the GTVA wants anything to do with Project Nagari in the first place. You could probably interpret the "we will not be slaves" line in Ken as fear of being a pawn of the Vishnans as much as anything else.

Offline -Norbert-

I would have thought that management was primarily through prevention/shielding. Once you're irradiated by huge doses, you're pretty much ****ed. If we want to stay realistic, I would venture to say that no medical treatment will ever be able to recover a patient from severe radiation poisoning. That would be akin to doing something to allow a computer program, after replacing/moving/deleting/adding to its binary data at random, to almost immediately be able to repair itself and run most of its original functions. On hardware you just sprayed water on. Yeah.... heavy doses of radiation is pretty devastating on life.

I guess if you backed up your mind and just downloaded yourself to a new body, you could save yourself. However, I have no idea how you could rapidly induce the formation of an entire backed-up connectome into a brain without outright killing it.
Since they can project someone's mind into a fighter I suppose the Vishnans (and thus probably the Shivans too) could do exactly that and thus they could give the UEF the necessary knowledge if they really wanted to. But since Battuta already said there won't be a "brain-upwnloading" that thought doesn't really matter (at least not for WiH2).

Offline Qent

Oh but statements of team members on the forum aren't necessarily canon. :P