Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 918364 times)

Offline QuakeIV

• test
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
Its worth noting that you don't need to project someones 'mind' into a fighter to remote control it.

Offline Kolgena

You don't, but when the guardian dies, your point of view stays on your fighter. It doesn't short out or something.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
Well you WERE ejected from the keeper/guardian/thing before it was blown up.  Its possible that it was acting as an intermediate transmission node and when it was destroyed Bei's mind made up for the time out of contact with his fighter (and only source of sensory input) with something made up.  There could have been some kind of psychological reaction or such.

I'm just tended towards thinking it was remote control because why on earth would you go to the trouble to directly transfer someones MIND into a fighters processor or whatever when you can just remote control it.

Offline Kolgena

Prevent jamming technologies from ruining your day. And lag.

Offline -Norbert-

But if he really had been transplanted into the fighter, then he wouldn't have been affected by the Keepers destruction (and would probably been unable to return to his body without further Vishnan help).

Offline Kolgena

I dunno. Maybe it copies a mind over to the fighter while maintaining parity between the two minds. When the guardian dies the copy of the mind in the fighter loses the connection, slowly becomes static and fades while the body hosting the original mind revives from stasis with all of the memories prior to the disconnect?

I haven't played that mission in a long time. I don't remember what exactly happens aside from the HUD disappearing or something and you losing control of your ship. I think it fades to black after this, doesn't it? So the mind you play as in the mission actually dies, but the body they find later has all the new memories of the Vishnan arc.

Offline -Norbert-

But Sam retains all the memories of what happened while he "was the fighter", so it can't have been a copy.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
But Sam retains all the memories of what happened while he "was the fighter", so it can't have been a copy.

Parity maintenance would explain this.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
While acute radiation poisoning does sound pretty bad, I feel like HLP routinely underestimates the kind of crazy **** we might be able to pull off in three hundred years. I mean back in the early 1700s we didn't even know what germs were, you know?
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Kolgena

That was because we lacked knowledge about the biology and couldn't see opportunities for interventions. Part of gaining new knowledge is better understanding of how to overcome problems, but the other part is about learning limitations. Our current understanding of cell biology is pretty decent, at least good enough to say that it'd be incredibly difficult for a therapy to repair large amounts of radiation damage.

Something cool that could work though: New strategies for treating stroke involve putting genes that protect against hypoxia into the brains of people by way of viral infection. Think of it as a vaccine against stroke, if you will. This way, when you have a stroke, these exogenous genes activate (from hypoxic stimuli) and form proteins that will mitigate damage from ischemic stroke. If you did something similar for radiation, you could up the baseline tolerance of people to radiation exposure. Sure, it won't do nearly enough to save you from the massive exposures that would trash all your DNA and the newly introduced anti-radiation genes, but it'll help with mild-moderate exposures.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
we also used to have a "pretty decent" understanding of, well pretty much everything, that turned out to be wrong.  there's just no way to say "we've gotten as far as possible in this field."
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
You are also forgetting that nano-tech treatment and actually physically rebuilding cells could be possible also.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

NANOMACHINES!

Oh, wait, that's Battuta's line. :nervous:
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
You are also forgetting that nano-tech treatment

Yes and it's going to stay that way, Kojima.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

ah fawk

Offline qwadtep

You are also forgetting that nano-tech treatment and actually physically rebuilding cells could be possible also.
What are the nanomachines going to use as a template?  The patient's already dead or dying cells? This can't possibly go wrong!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
That sounds like it might (might) be another manifestation of our weird 'things taking too much damage' bug.

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Urrr forgive me for this, but something just occoured to me.

In the final cutscene of FS1 (This is the remastered version so do correct me if original is different) the Lucifer's debris cloud and Bastion fighters moving away are shown close to the Moon and Earth (very close to the former). Has the node moved in BP canon for any reason? If the node is still in the canon place, which is apparently practically on Earth's doorstep, then the questions in my head would be A) why go for Neptune and Jupiter instead of just blitzing Earth (which would apparently mean taking out the council and the major UEF power base), and B) Why is it the Jovians that engage first? Wouldn't it be Earth's jurisdiction (and not to mention much closer for Earth ships to jump to)?

Was just a funny thought (was reminded by the role the node being in Lunar plays in our U-War storyline). If it's meant to be on the edge of the system in BP, shall we just assume the gate opened its node in a new place on the system's edge? Would make sense being an artificially created one.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 05:27:06 pm by T-Man »
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Urrr forgive me for this, but something just occoured to me. In the final cutscene of FS1 (This is the remastered version so do correct me if original is different) the Lucifer's debris cloud and Bastion fighters moving away are shown close to the Moon and Earth (very close to the former).

This is from the original cutscene as well. Mind, there were also two nodes to Earth in the maps from FS1, and we don't know much about restabilizing or subspace mechanics in general.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Subspace is affected by gravity (canon). I think it is said somewhere in BP fiction, or it was said only on the forum/IRC, that subspace nodes form and stabilize at points of specific gravity conditions occurring in a system. Which means a node will be naturally moving as the planets and moons move in the solar system in question.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grĂ¢ce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras