Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 918368 times)

Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
This looks a whole lot better. I wonder if FSO supports animated textures on skyboxes.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yes, that picture looks somewhat better than what we have ingame. Unfortunately, as has been said, it's just a photoshoped image a fan did.

As for animated skyboxes: They're possible, but infeasible from a performance standpoint.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Qent

Am I the only one who want's to see Simms die in WiH P2?

Yes, go awaaaaaaaaaaay. :(

Offline QuakeIV

• test
Eh I never particularly liked Simms either way.  She just seemed like a kinda odd/crazy person to me.

I'd be pretty crazy/odd if every damn person I got to know for quite some time outside of a few people died on me within the month, I'm just saying it doesn't produce a very likable character for me.

Offline Luis Dias

Yes, that picture looks somewhat better than what we have ingame. Unfortunately, as has been said, it's just a photoshoped image a fan did.

As for animated skyboxes: They're possible, but infeasible from a performance standpoint.

Magic poffing could do the trick? For instance, what happens regarding the subspace tunnel?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The subspace tunnel consists of a rotating model with a secondary rotating texture overlaid on top. This technique (or rather, parts of it) can be used in skyboxes; you could for example do a ringed gas giant skybox by modelling the ring as a moving subobject.

However, I understood the original question to ask about whether it's possible to animate a background texture (that is, play an animation on the surface). This is a really really bad idea, given that the only way to do it with acceptable levels of quality would involve having quite a lot of animation frames, all at the same skybox-sized resolutions, all of which have to be loaded into memory and then streamed.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Someone should make a troll starfield.pof that very slowly rotates, so all the joystick players will think somethings frakked on their sticks.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
are we talking about swirly suns like in mass effect?  cuz to be honest, i thought those were bad.
I like to stare at the sun.

Swirly suns? Where was that featured in ME?

Also, about the TerSlashBlueAAA--what's with the name? It's not a slashing beam (IIRC), it doesn't fire from the TSB beam emitters, and it's a completely different beam (being entirely point-defense, as opposed to a heavy anti-ship armament).
Delenda Est delenda est.

(Yay gratuitous Latin.)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Every single scene featuring TIM as a non-hologram.

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

• Fat and lazy glory hound, mooch, narcissist.
    • Black Yoshi's YouTube Page
I was digging through the F3 list, and any developer care to explain what the "Angel Flare" was supposed to be? I get the feeling it's supposed to be a capital defense weapon...
The MechWarrior 2 Resource Forum / Flyboy's Flight Sim + Aviation Page / Falcom Sound Team JDK / Jane's F/A-18 - Resources

&& "LAUNCH! LAUNCH! S__T WE'RE HIT! WE'RE TAKING CANNON FIRE! GET US THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" - The best Jane's Longbow 2 Co-Pilot Audio Clips.

|| BEAMS! DEATH BY BEAMS! <- Blue Planet: War in Heaven in a nutshell. (Phrase is adapted from the Freeman's Mind spinoff Barney's Mind, Episode 14: BEES! DEATH BY BEES!)

^ Give a kid a stick and tell him to beat up his enemies, he'll do it without a second thought. Give a kid a book and tell him to defeat his opponent, and he'll read the book, defeat the other's mind, and smack him on top of the head. Give a kid a flower, he'll force his opponent to eat it.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Yes it's a capship CM.

Also, about the TerSlashBlueAAA--what's with the name? It's not a slashing beam (IIRC), it doesn't fire from the TSB beam emitters, and it's a completely different beam (being entirely point-defense, as opposed to a heavy anti-ship armament).
It is a slashing beam. Try again.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Every single scene featuring TIM as a non-hologram.

Oh, that. I thought it looked great, but it was jarringly bizarre/unrealistic. I kept wanting to ask him 'what the hell IS that thing behind you?'

Yes it's a capship CM.

It is a slashing beam. Try again.

Ah, so it is. *smacks self in forehead* I don't know how I misread it before...

I wonder, will the TSB-AAA be replacing the AAAf entirely? At least on the next-gen TEI warships? What is the gist of the weapon's existence in the lore--is it an actual, distinct weapon, or some kind of different configuration of the AAAf, or just overloading the AAAf in a specific way, etc?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 01:46:17 am by SaltyWaffles »
Delenda Est delenda est.

(Yay gratuitous Latin.)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
AFAIK, it was used as a Combat Evaluation prototype in the Carthage's battlegroup (the Leviathan and some Deimoses used it). It isn't actually any better than the AAAf, so I don't expect it to replace it.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

AFAIK, it was used as a Combat Evaluation prototype in the Carthage's battlegroup (the Leviathan and some Deimoses used it). It isn't actually any better than the AAAf, so I don't expect it to replace it.

Really? I thought the big weakness with the AAAf is that it fires at the same target three times, with a longer cooldown in between bursts. With warhead intercept, that means that it intercepts one warhead per burst + cooldown, whereas the TSB-AAA (supposedly) usually hits one warhead per shot, but has a much shorter cooldown and only fires once per 'burst'. Does it not live up to that in practice?

And come to think of it...the Leviathan is barely more durable than the Aeolus, and the Hyperion is roughly the same as the Leviathan--so what's the big deal about making a cruiser with the Aeolus' speed along with the Levi's armor?--the Aeolus already does that (referring to the Hyperion's tech description). If anything, the Aeolus has an advantage in durability due to its vastly smaller target profile--it's roughly half the size, with better turret coverage too.
Delenda Est delenda est.

(Yay gratuitous Latin.)

Offline borizz

Oh, that. I thought it looked great, but it was jarringly bizarre/unrealistic. I kept wanting to ask him 'what the hell IS that thing behind you?'

I always thought the observation deck shots to the sun was some kind of radiation filter, so people could stare into that sun and not go blind. But I think there was a shot in ME3 that showed it from outside and it looked pretty much the same, so that doesn't work.

Offline -Norbert-

borizz you are putting too much stock into table information. With armor classes and AI profiles alone ship performances can change drastically and that doesn't even take mission scripting into account. If a mission requires the Hyperion to be better than it's predecessors it will be, no matter what the tables say about hitpoints, speed or weapondamage.

As for the ME sun:
Maybe it was a sun close to going out or an ignited gas giant or something other than your "average" sun.
Either way, there were so many things wrong with ME2 and 3 that my complaints never reached as far as the background animation...

Maybe it was a sun close to going out or an ignited gas giant or something other than your "average" sun.
Either way, there were so many things wrong with ME2 and 3 that my complaints never reached as far as the background animation...

Problem is, it was actually *foreground* animation in several points, and it was a major focus point in several main-story cutscenes. It was also present in most of one of the main character's scenes, being one of the core elements of them visually.

It gets worse when the color of the star is completely different depending on your last-second choice in the suicide mission...yeah, not one of ME2's bigger problems, I know, but still....

----

Also, I'm not really referring to table data at all. The Aeolus, Hyperion, and Leviathan cruisers make several notable appearances in BP's campaigns, and if anything, the Leviathan makes the weakest showings in terms of durability.
Delenda Est delenda est.

(Yay gratuitous Latin.)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Enough Mass Effect talk.

Offline borizz

borizz you are putting too much stock into table information. With armor classes and AI profiles alone ship performances can change drastically and that doesn't even take mission scripting into account. If a mission requires the Hyperion to be better than it's predecessors it will be, no matter what the tables say about hitpoints, speed or weapondamage.

As for the ME sun:

I never said anything about table information.