Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 918091 times)

Offline GrahamO

Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
Whatever the background and interpretation, I am enjoying Tenebra immensely - particularly the 'Her Finest Hour' mission which I have yet to complete but I am getting closer.

My thanks to all those involved, as you have clearly put a huge amount of effort to get the balance right and it really shows.

Offline rjpONE

Hello, I am new to this site but having rediscovered my favorite space sim not long ago, I downloaded and played the Blue Planet Mods (AoA and WiH 1-3). I just want to say that the work of the BP team is outstanding and I greatly enjoyed playing all of it. You guys rock and I want to thank you for the superb work you have done. Can't wait for acts 4 and 5. Keep up the great work!!!

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i decided i like the custos mission a lot more than i originally gave it credit for, and have been playing it many times through the tech room.  in doing so i've found what i consider to be a rather serious bug.  enemies can shoot right through the asteroid and kill you when you are inside.  my turrets' return fire didn't penetrate, though.  i saw the cruisers' weapons flying through the rock, and i'm pretty sure the medusa bombers were at least shooting me with primaries too.

also, not a bug, but i want to note that the auto-aim on the primary guns makes turret sniping almost impossible when the macduff is maneuvering.  would it be possible to keep the auto aim on the gattlers but remove it for the spinal gun?  final question, are gattlers supposed to consume energy?  i thought they weren't, since they are ammo-based.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

• Fat and lazy glory hound, mooch, narcissist.
    • Black Yoshi's YouTube Page
Welp, I am supposedly on the last mission of Tenebra, and one thing...

... way to freaking scare me in the dark, crew. Now I realize why it's a bad idea to do this kind of stuff during late night.*

* I'm not going to explain that bit.
The MechWarrior 2 Resource Forum / Flyboy's Flight Sim + Aviation Page / Falcom Sound Team JDK / Jane's F/A-18 - Resources

&& "LAUNCH! LAUNCH! S__T WE'RE HIT! WE'RE TAKING CANNON FIRE! GET US THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" - The best Jane's Longbow 2 Co-Pilot Audio Clips.

|| BEAMS! DEATH BY BEAMS! <- Blue Planet: War in Heaven in a nutshell. (Phrase is adapted from the Freeman's Mind spinoff Barney's Mind, Episode 14: BEES! DEATH BY BEES!)

^ Give a kid a stick and tell him to beat up his enemies, he'll do it without a second thought. Give a kid a book and tell him to defeat his opponent, and he'll read the book, defeat the other's mind, and smack him on top of the head. Give a kid a flower, he'll force his opponent to eat it.

Offline -Norbert-

I agree with Klaustrophobia on the auto-aim issue.
Would it be possible to have a toggle key, so you can switch the auto-aim off if you like?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
final question, are gattlers supposed to consume energy?  i thought they weren't, since they are ammo-based.
The Gattlers of the Custos-X are the same as the ones used on fighters. They consume 1.0 point of energy per second (for reference, the Rapier consumes 2.0 and the Maul 2.29), but you have 6 of them on the Custos-X.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist
Wait the Vindicator has auto-aim?
Current Project - Eos: The Coward's Blade. Coming Soon (hopefully.)

Offline Darius

And glide.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
The Gattlers were, for that reason, the best thing to take out fighters and bombs with.

Offline CKid

The Gattlers were, for that reason, the best thing to take out fighters and bombs with.

Yup, Its because of the Gattlers, that I never needed to use Flares.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist
Weird. I never got it to auto-aim.

EDIT: Did you have to be in first-person mode? I spent almost the entire mission in third.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 06:20:21 pm by Apollo »

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
maybe it's not very noticeable in third person?  i can't imagine it would switch off because of that.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist
Actually, it might of worked-I do remember my Arquebus mysteriously firing off course.

Offline qwadtep

I had a whimsical thought. Is the void scene in Universal Truth perhaps a reference to a certain bug brought to the surface by Ken?

(Well, damn. As I was typing this the shrieking vishnan opera came on my playlist.)

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
 :lol: :lol: :lol: And I think so.

I actually played 'Ken' with a mod to remove the nebulae clouds, **** was unnerving as ****. Especially after Ken leaves. You are left in a black void without a Sun and can't see anything... :shaking:

Offline Qent

I had a whimsical thought. Is the void scene in Universal Truth perhaps a reference to a certain bug brought to the surface by Ken?

I laughed out loud when the void part came up because of this.

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
Okay, so after playing through Tenebra a few more times, I finally feel like I can offer a bit more than, "I liked it, it was good, MOAR PLZ," even though that would be the overall impression. This may not make much sense, but I was finding myself liking and disliking different sides of the same thing. Let me explain:

Spoiler:
I don't think enough good things can be said about how much this community has done with such an old engine; if someone would have told me, back when I was playing the original FS games, that one day a bunch of crazed fans would constantly update the graphics, models, and the engine so that we would get things like tower defense, I probably would have laughed. This has been said by quite a few people already, but while I enjoyed the departure from vanilla missions, there might have been just a tad too much of it. Or, perhaps it's more a problem of being extremely concentrated. Other campaigns have had unconventional missions, but they were usually sprinkled among more traditional fare. It's like icing on a cake. Icing is tasty, but too much of it in one place, without finding a balance, will overpower the cake. In Tenebra's case, it was actually almost like eating a whole bowl of icing. That being said, at no point did I feel like the BP team was trying to make Freespace into something that isn't Freespace - having effective assets at your disposal, calling in tanks to act as makeshift sentries, or taking the helm of a (albeit small) cruiser is still stuff blowing up in space. All of those mechanics tried to make stuff blowing up in space more interesting, rather than trying to take the focus elsewhere, which is actually pretty important.

The exposition dumps didn't really bother me. I'm not sure how anyone who played the previous releases didn't come into Tenebra expecting anything else. We get to see a lot of plot threads coming together, but that brings me to one of my complaints. It almost feels like TOO many plot threads all come together in the short space of a few missions. There are still a hell of a lot of unresolved questions about exactly what is going on with the Shivans, Vishnans, Brahmans, the Great Darkness, and whatever "Grand Design" we're playing a part in, but a lot of personal threads for Noemi become much more...tidy. It almost feels like the only thing left to do is blow up the GTVA, get info pooped onto us like a statue in a park full of pigeons on why this whole thing happened in the first place, Noemi reunites with Simms, cats and dogs start living together, mass hysteria ensues, etc (note: I don't actually expect this is what will happen, but in the absence of knowledge about what's coming next, one might be able to excuse that particular line of thought).

I've seen a lot of people comment that Noemi is a lot less sympathetic this time around. Personally, I saw a person dealing with significant losses learning to compartmentalize, and learning to hate after growing up knowing very little of it. But one thing I will say is that it certainly didn't feel like as much of a roller coaster ride, at least for me. The high point, for me, was asploding the Carthage (screw you, Lopez), but there really weren't any lows to make the highs more significant. WiH 1 was absolutely beautiful in this regard. Eagerness turned defeat turned desperation turned hope turned almost-triumph turned emotional-Falcon-punch-in-the-dick. WiH 2...well, I know you're now a part of an alarmingly effective but somehow still secret organization, and everything you touch turns to gold. You cut through the GTVA like a hot knife through butter. Oddly enough, Noemi herself even muses that the weak link in all plans is human, but we never actually get to play the weak link. CASSANDRA is nigh-infallible and all the Fedayeen's plans go off without much of a hitch. It's actually sort of amusing to me now - I just got through reading the thread started by FSF about how BP forgot BP and I remember something about how WiH 2 was trying to avoid "Alpha 1" syndrome by mixing up the formula, but I felt it was really WiH 1 that averted it and now we've gone a few steps back. WiH 1 was powerful to me because we, as the players, rarely taste failure and hopelessness. It would have been nice to see at least a few things go wrong, even if they weren't catastrophic.

Edit: remembered the thread title doesn't say spoilers, added spoiler tags!

Offline qwadtep

Spoiler:
This has been said by quite a few people already, but while I enjoyed the departure from vanilla missions, there might have been just a tad too much of it. Or, perhaps it's more a problem of being extremely concentrated. Other campaigns have had unconventional missions, but they were usually sprinkled among more traditional fare. It's like icing on a cake. Icing is tasty, but too much of it in one place, without finding a balance, will overpower the cake. In Tenebra's case, it was actually almost like eating a whole bowl of icing.
I agree, but I have to play devil's advocate here: Tenebra is an entire story arc set in a stealth fighter, and as such needed to make flying a stealth fighter interesting and fun, as opposed to the insipid fly-into-the-Atreus-fighterbay missions stealth fighters usually get.

Remember that in the original scheme of things, Tenebra would have been followed by two acts of heavy assault and bombing missions that incorporate a number of the mechanics it introduces.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline CT27

Okay, so after playing through Tenebra a few more times, I finally feel like I can offer a bit more than, "I liked it, it was good, MOAR PLZ," even though that would be the overall impression. This may not make much sense, but I was finding myself liking and disliking different sides of the same thing. Let me explain:

Spoiler:
I don't think enough good things can be said about how much this community has done with such an old engine; if someone would have told me, back when I was playing the original FS games, that one day a bunch of crazed fans would constantly update the graphics, models, and the engine so that we would get things like tower defense, I probably would have laughed. This has been said by quite a few people already, but while I enjoyed the departure from vanilla missions, there might have been just a tad too much of it. Or, perhaps it's more a problem of being extremely concentrated. Other campaigns have had unconventional missions, but they were usually sprinkled among more traditional fare. It's like icing on a cake. Icing is tasty, but too much of it in one place, without finding a balance, will overpower the cake. In Tenebra's case, it was actually almost like eating a whole bowl of icing. That being said, at no point did I feel like the BP team was trying to make Freespace into something that isn't Freespace - having effective assets at your disposal, calling in tanks to act as makeshift sentries, or taking the helm of a (albeit small) cruiser is still stuff blowing up in space. All of those mechanics tried to make stuff blowing up in space more interesting, rather than trying to take the focus elsewhere, which is actually pretty important.

The exposition dumps didn't really bother me. I'm not sure how anyone who played the previous releases didn't come into Tenebra expecting anything else. We get to see a lot of plot threads coming together, but that brings me to one of my complaints. It almost feels like TOO many plot threads all come together in the short space of a few missions. There are still a hell of a lot of unresolved questions about exactly what is going on with the Shivans, Vishnans, Brahmans, the Great Darkness, and whatever "Grand Design" we're playing a part in, but a lot of personal threads for Noemi become much more...tidy. It almost feels like the only thing left to do is blow up the GTVA, get info pooped onto us like a statue in a park full of pigeons on why this whole thing happened in the first place, Noemi reunites with Simms, cats and dogs start living together, mass hysteria ensues, etc (note: I don't actually expect this is what will happen, but in the absence of knowledge about what's coming next, one might be able to excuse that particular line of thought).

I've seen a lot of people comment that Noemi is a lot less sympathetic this time around. Personally, I saw a person dealing with significant losses learning to compartmentalize, and learning to hate after growing up knowing very little of it. But one thing I will say is that it certainly didn't feel like as much of a roller coaster ride, at least for me. The high point, for me, was asploding the Carthage (screw you, Lopez), but there really weren't any lows to make the highs more significant. WiH 1 was absolutely beautiful in this regard. Eagerness turned defeat turned desperation turned hope turned almost-triumph turned emotional-Falcon-punch-in-the-dick. WiH 2...well, I know you're now a part of an alarmingly effective but somehow still secret organization, and everything you touch turns to gold. You cut through the GTVA like a hot knife through butter. Oddly enough, Noemi herself even muses that the weak link in all plans is human, but we never actually get to play the weak link. CASSANDRA is nigh-infallible and all the Fedayeen's plans go off without much of a hitch. It's actually sort of amusing to me now - I just got through reading the thread started by FSF about how BP forgot BP and I remember something about how WiH 2 was trying to avoid "Alpha 1" syndrome by mixing up the formula, but I felt it was really WiH 1 that averted it and now we've gone a few steps back. WiH 1 was powerful to me because we, as the players, rarely taste failure and hopelessness. It would have been nice to see at least a few things go wrong, even if they weren't catastrophic.

Edit: remembered the thread title doesn't say spoilers, added spoiler tags!

You think nothing went right for the GTVA?