Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 918116 times)

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
I remember lots of tech room text and in-game dialog saying they're for artificial gravity (though maybe that's changed since last I checked -- the wiki still mentions "centrifugal" power generation. :wtf:)
Yeah... battuta exploded when he read that. Apparently not supposed to be there.

Offline Qent

Yes, the AoA Karuna violated thermodynamics by using its rotator for power generation.  That's what Shambhala is: a huge assembly of rotators powering a giant beam cannon.
* Qent recently took up playing Dwarf Fortress, and this idea makes way too much sense.

they're gyroscopes designed to make uef ships turn slower so they're not overpowered
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

What's a girlfriend
here's a clue: she fills your heart, empties your wallet...  :p

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
 Links to Battuta's explosion, please.

In the mean time... *goes to model a ship with a bajillion centrifuges*

Offline Flak

I didn't know it was a power generator. I thought it was for artificial gravity or something like that.

Offline SypheDMar

• Minecraft
Links to Battuta's explosion, please.

In the mean time... *goes to model a ship with a bajillion centrifuges*
Well, explosion as in, he went, "that's not supposed to happen, o god it's not true!" I'll dig through link eventually.

e: Either I remembered it wrong, or there's another thread on it. The one I found has battuta calmly explain that it's not canon.
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=76556.msg1519871#msg1519871

e: Okay, he just denies that it's true at the very end of any centrifugal talk.

Offline Aesaar

I didn't know it was a power generator. I thought it was for artificial gravity or something like that.
It's not, but the AoA tech description said it was.  Which violates thermodynamics, so the description was rewritten for WiH.  My bet is that it's used for gravity because it uses less power than the other way articial gravity is generated.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
As far as I'm concerned, it's "if it rotates, it does science". Simple and catchy enough.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grĂ¢ce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

you know i'm amazed overall that battuta can stay sane at all trying to write hard sci-fi on top of freespace gameplay
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
The spinning sections are melee anti-fighter weapons.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

you know i'm amazed overall that battuta can stay sane at all trying to write hard sci-fi on top of freespace gameplay

Modding itself can have it's toll on sanity, at least temporarily ;)

It is definitely fascinating to see just how much detail is being put into all of this, definitely makes the experience even better, more believable even.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
I wanted to post a link to Belisarius' "War in Heaven" with the YT tags and make a clever terrible joke about 'Tutta, but no one has uploaded the damn song there yet. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Offline Luis Dias

Why don't you upload it yourself?

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs

I think choosing to write hard sci-fi robbed him of sanity to begin with. Now, I fear some of that may come back to haunt us in the next release.
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline Luis Dias

What the hell are you guys talking about. You might think this hard sci fi is too crazy for you, but could you please not project your fears unto other people's psyches? It's not like sci-fi thinking is some Ctuhluh cult of madness.

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
What the hell are you guys talking about. You might think this hard sci fi is too crazy for you, but could you please not project your fears unto other people's psyches? It's not like sci-fi thinking is some Ctuhluh cult of madness.

\o/

You know that mission with the platforms? Yeah. That's madness.
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
um..... what the hell are YOU talking about?

they are commenting on the inherent difficulty of forcing a relatively "realistic" set of sci-fi rules into an already established universe that frankly didn't give a flying **** about them and not contradict said established canon. 

now whats all this about projecting fears?  :eek2:
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline qwadtep

I think choosing to write hard sci-fi robbed him of sanity to begin with. Now, I fear some of that may come back to haunt us in the next release.
The Great Darkness is actually Battuta throwing his hands up and declaring everything since the Terran-Vasudan War to be one long Nagari sequence.

Offline SypheDMar

• Minecraft
Klaustrophobia is right. You misinterpreted. Put it simply, people are amazed at how "hard" (also read: awesome) BP is compared to how "soft" FS1 and FS2 are. They're also praising battuta's organ.