Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 918386 times)

Offline LapsedPacifist

• May, or may not be a GCU
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
On 3.7.1 BP (from the BP installer) at least it falls over giving an error message about species countermeasures, not that surprisingly given that similar errors have been seen elsewhere. I assume it would work with a BP patched nightly, or more recent build but don't have time to try it right now.

Blue Planet works fine,passed all missions,even with 2014 media vps,no compatibillity needed,just change mod.ini

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Were you running a debug build?  Release builds may hide minor issues that would still count as incompatibility.

Works fine on both debug and normal build.

Offline Kolgena

Is there a way for custom tbm's for 2D radar icons to NOT overwrite glowpoint lights? Right now, a tbm with these entries:

$Name:       GTF Aurora
+nocreate
$Radar Image 2D:          radar-fighter

will cause the existing entry's glowpoint_overrides to disappear. Preferably, I'd like a fix that doesn't involve manually copy-pasting the glowpoint overrides into the 2D radar table.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Your tbm has a different name than the one containing the glowpoint overrides, right?
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Kolgena

Yes. Should it be the same?

Greeting everyone!
So I wanted to see how do new MediaVP's look like, and ended up replaying the whole Blue Planet. Or rather almost the whole - Universal Truth 2 fails to load. The log is here: http://pastebin.com/HmANcCv2
FSO's memory usage at the point of crash is 1.7-1.8GB, with a GB still free. I'll appreciate any help with the problem.

On the bright side, even without the benefit of surprise, WiH still manages to be even better than the first time I played it. This is especially true for Tenebra's gameplay, where taking a year-long break apparently does wonders for your perspective :) Anyway, just wanted to give a huge thank-you to you guys. Besides this and the two old bugs in Her Finest Hour I had no other problems in any of the three campaigns.
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Hrmm.. I've seen several "malloc failed" errors at that place in the logs, but normally with Intel cards.  Could you please try:

1) update your graphics card drivers

If that doesn't work or they are already up to date:

2) add the "-no_glsl" command line flag (Advanced Settings -> Troubleshoot -> Disable GLSL (shader) support

Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Tried both, same error :/

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
Greeting everyone!
So I wanted to see how do new MediaVP's look like, and ended up replaying the whole Blue Planet. Or rather almost the whole - Universal Truth 2 fails to load. The log is here: http://pastebin.com/HmANcCv2
FSO's memory usage at the point of crash is 1.7-1.8GB, with a GB still free. I'll appreciate any help with the problem.

On the bright side, even without the benefit of surprise, WiH still manages to be even better than the first time I played it. This is especially true for Tenebra's gameplay, where taking a year-long break apparently does wonders for your perspective :) Anyway, just wanted to give a huge thank-you to you guys. Besides this and the two old bugs in Her Finest Hour I had no other problems in any of the three campaigns.

Ah yes... the good ole Malloc Failed on UT2 has returned! I also had this error on my playthrough of tenebra a long ways back (Just after release) and it is caused by:
Spoiler:
the huge HTL Sathanas fleet glassing Earth
somehow using the retail model doesnt give this error, but using the HTL (which is shipped with the 2014 MVPs) does cause it. At the time The_E's advice was to not use standalone HD Models as they were not supported, but now since the 2014 MVPs are standard issue now, I think it would be fair to ask to update that particular mission or something?

On another note, my theory is that the crash is due to less VRAM.... I have recently upgraded to a 2GB card (earlier had 1GB VRAM), I'll try to see if the crash still occurs.

E: Just tried out the mission (CTrl-Shift-S) and it works flawlessly. Nothing else has changed in my system save for the video card upgrade. So I guess it is a VRAM issue?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 02:58:34 am by Crybertrance »
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Well... I just tried UT2 from the techroom, with mediavps_2014, using my 1GB Nvidia GTS 450 and it loaded just fine. Still - what model of video card do you have, both the old & new?

Meneldil - maybe you could try with mediavps_3612 and see if the UT2 crash-when-loading problem still occurs?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
At the time The_E's advice was to not use standalone HD Models as they were not supported, but now since the 2014 MVPs are standard issue now, I think it would be fair to ask to update that particular mission or something?

When it comes time to make the next patch (sometime after the new installer has gone live, I reckon), BP will be tested and dependant on the 2014 MVPs.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luis Dias

that seems like a smart approach :yes:

Meneldil - maybe you could try with mediavps_3612 and see if the UT2 crash-when-loading problem still occurs?
Aghh... that's the first thing i thought i tried, but i forgot to check what the launcher was loading: it needed a restart after changing the mod.ini file.
And yeah, the mission loads just fine with the old mediavp's, and i have a 512MB card. So Cybertrance is probably right on all accounts. Thanks for the help, guys!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Huh. I wonder if we'll have to pack the old Sathanas model and give it a separate table entry, then use it in that mission.

If you want me to, i can check if it's only the Sathanas that's causing the problem (although i guess it has to be), just tell me what to extract and where to override the new one.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Huh. I wonder if we'll have to pack the old Sathanas model and give it a separate table entry, then use it in that mission.
Can't you make a separate table that uses the Lod models after 0?

Offline Crybertrance

Well... I just tried UT2 from the techroom, with mediavps_2014, using my 1GB Nvidia GTS 450 and it loaded just fine. Still - what model of video card do you have, both the old & new?

The old one was a 1GB HD 5770
New one is a 2GB HD 7870

Aww... Well if it has to be done for legacy issues than fine, but I must say, dem HD Sathies look freaking awesome in UT2!

If you want me to, i can check if it's only the Sathanas that's causing the problem (although i guess it has to be), just tell me what to extract and where to override the new one.

First thing you could do, is simply try the old (3612) mediavps and report any crashing (or lack thereof).
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 12:05:44 pm by Crybertrance »
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command

Offline Crybertrance

(ignore this)