Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 918137 times)

Offline Luis Dias

Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
I like it. Or at least I like the tension that brings into play. Either you keep your humanity and you end up losing or you lose your humanity so that humanity wins. Except that wars are not humane ever, and the best players are the ruthless tacticians who are able to see everything as an asset towards victory.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You'll not get any complaints from me about having characters with weaknesses - as you say, no one is perfect and weaknesses make the characters believable :)  And I accept that Steele is human - that's good.  But he doesn't have to be a human I sympathise with, understand, or like and that's where my picking at him is coming from.  I can identify with Lopez, I can't identify with Steele. I hate his style of command and the inhumanity in his decision making (ditto for the Fedayeen obviously). The ends-justifies-the-means approach always rubs me up the wrong way and I guess it bothers me somewhat when it's being (maybe?) portrayed as the best solution on both sides.

I like it. Or at least I like the tension that brings into play. Either you keep your humanity and you end up losing or you lose your humanity so that humanity wins. Except that wars are not humane ever, and the best players are the ruthless tacticians who are able to see everything as an asset towards victory.

As I'm sure you've heard, Calder shares your concerns.

Offline Luis Dias

He's clearly oh so drunk in there.

Offline crizza

I like that voice :D

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
I like that "dick around" is now canon dialogue.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline crizza

There are some nice voices to be heard :D
Steele and Lopez...sweet^^

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I like that "dick around" is now canon dialogue.
That was my favourite part of that casting. :)
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline crizza

I'm sure that has been explaine before, but how does crashjumping works?
Flash the jumpdrive and end up being pulled out of subspace by a grav-source? If so, would that mean in a system with a sun but not stellar bodies, ships would end up at said sun?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Crash jumps are jumps where the jumping ship engages its drives without having fully calculated the entire jump. The risk here is that you may run into a gravity well and get pulled out on a vector that may be fatal; this happened to the Indus and could have happened to the Carthage.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

I've also always gotten the impression that a crash jump is extremely hard on the ship, seeing as how it tends to knock out reactors and other systems... throwing the ship into subspace as hard and fast as possible without spooling  up properly. Akin, perhaps, to starting up your car and flooring it immediately, rather than giving it a chance to warm up and accelerating at a reasonable pace.

Offline Aesaar

I get the impression that it means your drive capacitors haven't recharged completely, so getting enough power to jump requires a dramatic increase in reactor output, which can overload power conduits and potentially even wreck the reactor itself.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I get the impression that it means your drive capacitors haven't recharged completely, so getting enough power to jump requires a dramatic increase in reactor output, which can overload power conduits and potentially even wreck the reactor itself.
Crash jumps are jumps where the jumping ship engages its drives without having fully calculated the entire jump. The risk here is that you may run into a gravity well and get pulled out on a vector that may be fatal; this happened to the Indus and could have happened to the Carthage.
I'm pretty sure a "crash jump" refers to both of these things, even though they're technically two separate types of jumps.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah, I think it's easiest to think of as 'a jump that the ship is not fully prepared to make', with a diverse and dangerous array of hazards.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Today I learned: "Cassandra" is a Greek mythology thing.

What was going on when Hydura station reported these? :confused:

"Hydura Station reports vampires, six by twenty. Knives out, spades out...vampires, five by twenty, ten seconds...foaming...vampires, five seconds. This is Hydura Station, signing off -"

I think there were incoming missiles, but I cannot find out the meanings of “six by twenty. Knives out, spades out”.

Sorry for the stupid question, I've been studying English for years and yet I'm still a learner...

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
They were getting nuked to hell by swarms of TEV warheads at the end of "Darkest Hour."

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Don't worry about your English skills - it's all military brevity code, and you're not meant to understand it so much as get a mood from it. Hydura's being attacked by SSMs and trying to defend itself, but failing.

It's a tribute to an obscure prose passage I like a lot, from the sequence in Greg Bear's Eon when a crew in orbit are listening to radio transmissions from US Navy warships as World War III breaks out:

A man's voice, sounding almost mechanical after the processing of the signal, said, "One K that is Kill Seven, One K that is Kill Seven, have smoked the circle; repeat, have smoked the circle. Vampires, fourteen count, range fifty klicks, source Turgenev small platform. Repeat, fourteen vampires. Six down. Sweep two commencing. Smoking circle, up with directed fry, nine down, up with knives, eleven down. Three vampires, twenty-klicks. Priests out. Priests and vampires engage. Advising salamander crews. Starfish launched. Sea Dragons alerted. Two vampires, six klicks. Sweep three commencing. Foaming now. Short eyes out, blades out, Guardians out, knives inboard."

A pause. "Two vampires, three klicks." Another pause, then, softly, "Good-bye, Shirley."

The voice seems almost machinelike until the final puncture of humanity, reciting a calmly coded series of defensive measures that obscure the desperation and horror of what's happening.

Offline crizza

Reading this makes it fell more intense.
That "Good-bye, Shirley" is...somehow more suited...

Offline Luis Dias

That's an awesome quote by all standards.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
What are knives and spades?