Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 918269 times)

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
Great job! I love all the changes made to Act 3, it really helped the immersion factor. The chatter between your wingmen, Thorn, and Al-dawa during the Dreamscape make it seem more real, and the tutorial content is fun. Especially when Falconer got her turn to teach you. Grand Theft Hydra, anyone? The missions themselves also saw improvement (especially Everything is Permitted).

The voice acting for Acts 1 & 2 was nice, but there were moments where it was a little lackluster.
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Offline Freon

WOW :D

Overcame my resolution issues, and finished things.
- AoE felt smoother in difficulty which is nice.
- New Raynor (or whatever its called now) looks fan-mega-tastic.
- BUT...new Hyperion(I think) just doesn't do it for me.  Flat, and featureless.
- New Titan looks titany, but the front beams, I dunno, it seems...Something. Too close maybe.

- WiH part 1 is still SO AWESOME. Story is just the best thing ever, and the build up to-...things is excellent.
- Voice acting generally really good. Simms and Laporte definitely have those voices down :D  Simms does briefings a bit quick though, kinda hard to follow.
Spoiler:
"As soldiers we all get orders we don't like, but we have to follow them. So I gave Simms her towel." HAAHAHAH! Don't remember that from the first few times I played. Gold.
- Leewenhook voice (or whatever) just...didn't work for me.
- Kassim was dull and not at all arrogant and emotional as I thought he'd be.
- Sorenson was good, but also a bit emotionless. He did the Sunglare bit pretty good though.

- WiH part 2 makes me a bit sad cos Laporte's attitude etc seems to change so much...Could be explained by the Dreamscape I guess.
- Although I'm impressed with the abilities that have been added to gameplay, I feel like it detracts from the gameplay. I'm often worrying way more about some thing I have to scan before I instafail the mission, or uploading a virus to stop major capital ship losses. Anyway, I just felt that I didn't really "get" the story. Like WiH1 is sooo immersive, you get shivers every mission. Then, WiH 2, just doesn't.
The obvious answer here is "git gud" or whatever that saying is :)

All that stuff is just those little things that irked me a bit, but didn't detract from the narrative.
Two things that did (one only because I played the original version):
1) Volume for music and voices was aaall over the place. I had to keep adjusting it so I could hear voices either over the music (but still here it cos it rules) or over other voices. Kassim for example, was really quiet and so were some of the supporting people.

2) Music choices: I remember there were some copyright issues which changed the music during the encounter with the Ranvir and...certain subspace things. Such a shame because the timing of that with the music was the best scene ever. Also the Sunglare music :( Sad that changed BUT I hear the music varies each time you watch it, so I'll have to go watch it :D

Re-reading that makes it sound like I'm hating on the game, but I'm definitely not. GOTY since it's inception for me, but feedback is always handy right?

Offline danilm

You skipped the step about downloading and selecting a new build!

I skimmed that step and thought that I'd be fine with 3.7.2 final. My mistake, thanks!

I do wonder what the logic behind releasing a stable mod on an unstable build is. It seems a bit... counter-productive? Considering that 3.7.2. worked fine for older variants for Blue Planet, so I am curious why the BP team would not decide to work within the constraints of the stable build for the purposes of this re-release rather then have to deal with bugs on both the SCP and the BP end.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
There are features implemented since 3.7.2 that the BP team want to use; and while the SCP is working towards releasing 3.7.4 "soon" the BP team don't want to wait that long. Being on the bleeding edge is tricky.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
We needed to release now and our game doesn't work on 3.7.2 in some basic ways.

There are features implemented since 3.7.2 that the BP team want to use;

May I ask which features in particular?

Offline -Norbert-

It would be nice to put a more descriptive line into the install instructions. Something that specifically mentions that a Nightly is needed, rather than just calling it "recent build".
I'm sure there have been quite a few people who thought that the current stable build is what you refered to as simply "a recent build" and thus never felt the need to click that link in the install instructions.

Putting that aside I also just ran into a problem in Finding the Grail.
There is no third buoy... I trying cycling through the rader ranged, I tried going back to buoy 1 and then fly in a staight line on past buoy 2, but there is no third buoy. No definite contact and neither a jumping point... nothing.

Edit: After restarting the mission and 5 minutes of flying around in random directions, I finally managed to pick up the signal of the next buoy... And by the time I reached NB3, NB2 was already out of range again (with my radar set to full range)...

Could you either put the buoys closer together, or increase the range at which they can be detected please? Like this it's just frustrating.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 08:30:55 am by -Norbert- »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
That mission sucks. I haven't touched it yet but I plan to.

Offline -Norbert-

I'm looking forward to it :)

Luckily a found out a little trick, if anyone else has trouble finishing the mission before it's fixed.

If you can't see any new NB, take up position at the last one and fly toward the sun. At least from NB 3 and onwards that always brought me into sensor range of the next buoy.

You could also just fly straight from the spawn and you'll find the Grail as long as you never change direction.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Makhpella

• Kharak is burning!
Haha, what the hell, I just finished Return to Babel, I was jumping out when I hear: 'This is the Lemnos, now proceeding to disengage and depart.' I then needed 5 seconds to remember where that line belongs because I haven't played FS2 in 2 months.
'I'm from the marksman school of conversation.' -Kovacs

Offline Leeko

• Computer ketchup
  • Lurking since 2009
Didn't want to clutter the board by making a whole new thread - I've noticed that checkpoints seem to be totally absent from WiH1. I have not seen a single in-mission message about hitting a checkpoint, and I've had a couple of (extremely frustrating) full restarts after points that definitely should have had checkpoints along the way. For instance, after disabling the Agincourt in "The Plunder", I got shot down by the sudden wave of fighters and upon restarting had no checkpoint options. I may be totally misremembering, but I seem to recall there were two or three different checkpoints in that one.

Edit: The following mission gave me a checkpoint after Serkr was dealt with, but this is definitely the first time I've had one in this playthrough.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 12:15:48 pm by Leeko »

There's no checkpoint in The Plunder. IIRC, there are checkpoints in the first mission, Darkest Hour, Aristeia and Delenda Est. Possibly another one in Pawns, but I'm not sure.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
There are features implemented since 3.7.2 that the BP team want to use;

May I ask which features in particular?

I'm not on the BP team so I'm not 100% sure. From error logs I've seen, "Shield Pain Flashes" is required; ditto for conditional fiction viewer support, unfortunately I don't know what else :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Leeko

• Computer ketchup
  • Lurking since 2009
There's no checkpoint in The Plunder. IIRC, there are checkpoints in the first mission, Darkest Hour, Aristeia and Delenda Est. Possibly another one in Pawns, but I'm not sure.

Huh. That's way fewer than I remember. Maybe I just didn't notice the ones in m01 and Aristeia.

* Leeko shrugs

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I have an update to Core prepared to ship, with some small bugfixes for BP2 missions, a big update to FS Blue, a buff to the Boanerges, and a buff to the Piranha.

Random stuff I noticed.

Spoiler:
1. Performance was shockingly bad until I disabled shadows, as Battuta recommended.
2. The database only stores one of Laporte's journal entries at a time.
3. I like the renaming of difficulty levels.
4. TAG/SSM info now shows up on the HUD. Nice touch.
5. Speaking of TAG, the Kukris in "Post Meridian" are lethal.
6. In "Post Meridian", it's possible for the Meridian's beams to remain operational, dooming the Indus. (Intentional?)
7. In "The Intervention", pressing "1" to fix your primaries simultaneously triggers Laporte's distress call.
8. I destroyed the Deianira in "Delenda Est" (confirmed by a voice-acted line), but she still appeared in "Her Finest Hour". Is it even possible for that to carry over?
9. The Dreamscape training is brilliant. Also, being able to play any version of the Dreamscape via the mission simulator is convenient.
10. In "Nothing Is True", the convoy barely says anything.
11. "Everything is Permitted" seems less forgiving of mistakes. I approve.
12. "Her Finest Hour" runs much better. Also, I delivered a "miraculous performance" (on Second Run). Booyeah!
13. At the end of the Dreamscape before "Eyes in the Storm", there are two options, but they both end the mission. (Intentional?)
14. In "Eyes in the Storm", the tanks often have trouble deploying, endlessly looping around the cargo platforms.
15. Wow, the new tower defense interface is amazing. I'm no longer sure which game I'm playing.
16. In "Universal Truth", turning around causes the game to crash. (Intentional?)

EDIT: Oh, and the Falcata crew in "One Future" is my favorite.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 12:57:45 am by GhylTarvoke »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Spoiler:
8. I destroyed the Deianira in "Delenda Est" (confirmed by a voice-acted line), but she still appeared in "Her Finest Hour". Is it even possible for that to carry over?
Spoiler:
No.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

OK, that's what I suspected. In that case, it's really weird for the destruction to have a voice line, because it's something that shouldn't happen.

EDIT: More stuff I forgot. In the Dreamscape, I actually saw an SSM strike (with the missiles entering and exiting subspace) - don't think I've seen that before. I also like the additions to "The Plunder".
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 01:36:21 am by GhylTarvoke »