Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 918243 times)

Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
No. A number of missions were rebuilt to be less obnoxious or more epic (Slaying Ravana, High Noon, As Lightning Fall, Their Finest Hour), weapons and ships were rebalanced (with the Prom R, Circe, Morning Star, and Piranha all getting buffs, as did a number of Vasudan fighters), and TAGs now work spectacularly.

Do you have any suggestions for further changes?

Tutorial skip has been in since retail.

Sounds nice, I'll definitely try out the Tags and new guns. I always used the morning star even though it was terrible because knocking people around was so fun!

I never knew tutorial skip existed. It might have just always malfunctioned on my computer because Its never worked for me.

Offline Aesaar

Well, it doesn't knock people around anymore.  Whack guns don't make for good gameplay.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
If anyone's having FPS issues in WiH 1 and 2, turn off shadows.

Good God, the First Fleet flyby in the WiH2 credits hit 7.2 FPS. I was playing some missions with 15.

Either the newest builds are inefficient with the shadows, my graphics card just isn't up to snuff anymore, or BP is so massively detailed it just bogs everything anyway.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
If anyone's having FPS issues in WiH 1 and 2, turn off shadows.

Good God, the First Fleet flyby in the WiH2 credits hit 7.2 FPS. I was playing some missions with 15.

Either the newest builds are inefficient with the shadows, my graphics card just isn't up to snuff anymore, or BP is so massively detailed it just bogs everything anyway.
Probably "a little of column A, a little of column B" going on; regardless, recent Nightlies now default to shadows off.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Hmm, they were defaulted on in the build BP linked. Not really an issue. The biggest offender is the Erebus-class. Everything's fine until you see the Erebus, then the framerate drops considerably.

Shadows make you feel spoiled when turned on. :P
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline -Norbert-

I just ran into a little weirdness in "Preserving the Balance".

When the second wave of Shivans warped in, the Temeraire almost immediately began to blast away at them, taking out the first Ravana (at some 12+ km distance) while the Vishnans were still warping in.

It's a bit strange to have everyone go "Oh god, we'll all die!" and then have the Temeraire just casually dispatch one third of the attacking force with contemptual ease.

Offline CKid

Just finished Universal Truth and noticed maybe a few bugs. When Ken tells you to run to the light, I see nothing but black, not even the Great darkness. Also when you are running from the Vishnans and listening to Bosch, instead of flying through a red nebula I appear to be inside the great darkness. Is this intentional?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 10:52:58 am by CKid »
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Makhpella

• Kharak is burning!
Don't know about the light, but the 'nebula' is intentional.
'I'm from the marksman school of conversation.' -Kovacs

A couple of minor FreeSpace Blue issues.

"Endgame": My comms subsystem was destroyed, and for some reason, the support ship didn't repair it.
"Speaking in Tongues": Command ordered everyone to ignore the Iceni, but everyone attacked anyway.
"High Noon": There was no RTB directive.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Just finished Universal Truth and noticed maybe a few bugs. When Ken tells you to run to the light, I see nothing but black, not even the Great darkness. Also when you are running from the Vishnans and listening to Bosch, instead of flying through a red nebula I appear to be inside the great darkness. Is this intentional?

I thought that at first but after staring at the texture all I thought was "shattered subspace."

Okay, a more serious issue. While loading Into the Lion's Den, the game crashed and gave this message:

loop2-2.fs2(line 39):
Error: Required token = [#Command Briefing] or [#Briefing], found [$AI Profile: BP].

ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 21 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE_20151103_0ea25e7.exe! <no symbol>
<no module>! <no symbol>

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Okay, a more serious issue. While loading Into the Lion's Den, the game crashed and gave this message:

loop2-2.fs2(line 39):
Error: Required token = [#Command Briefing] or [#Briefing], found [$AI Profile: BP].

ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 21 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
<no module>! <no symbol>

We actually managed to catch and patch this yesterday! Update your core VP.

Works great now!

New problem: at the start of "A Blue Planet...", I seem to be flying through the Orestes' textures, which also have weird glitches.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I can't repro that locally.

Offline Valikdu

I've just updated the mod. Her Finest Hour crashed three times in a row, without a log; it happens just as I'm about to win (I've called in all the reinforcements, the Carthage is disabled).

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Turn all those graphics waaaaaay down.

Offline Valikdu

Um... it just happened again.

I've noticed that it tends to happen when I'm trying to select the last remaining Deimos (the one that isn't Iolanthe? I think).

I can't repro that locally.

Screenshot attached. The textures flicker as well, even while the game is paused.

The installer says I'm up to date on everything. Here are my flags:

C:\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE_20151103_0ea25e7.exe -mod bpcomplete,mediavps_2014 -nomotiondebris -3dshockwave -post_process -soft_particles -no_deferred -disable_shadows -3dwarp -mipmap

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
What sort of GPU are you using?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

An NVIDIA GeForce GT 440. I'm playing at 1024x768 (windowed for the screenshot), with high graphics settings and no AA. I haven't had any other texture problems.

BTW, by "paused", I meant that I hadn't decided whether to skip the training evaluation yet.

EDIT: More info: my OS is Vista, and I'm not using the enhanced graphics package.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 09:59:29 am by GhylTarvoke »