Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 918252 times)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
If it's that, the antivirus is being 100x slower at analyzing it than any other program it's ever looked at.

On a whim, tried launching the Debug build manually, rather than going through the launcher. Nothing happens. There's a process created, but I can't seem to kill it in any way.

Could it be a corrupted file? Maybe I'll try re-downloading.
That really, really sounds like the (mis)behavior of antivirus software. What's your antivirus, and have you just tried temporarily disabling it to see if it works?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Speaking of Her Finest Hour, there's also a change I didn't like. I rather liked the music that played in the opening stages of the mission. It gave the whole battle a kinda-badass feel to it.

Yeah, this one is quite a shame. I originally thought that the old "Two steps from hell" song for "Her finest hour" was probably the best use of 3rd party music in whole War in heaven.

The new song doesn't have the same "oomph" effect  :(

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Patch and new recommended builds are out.

Offline Yarn

You forgot to include the mod.ini and other miscellaneous files with the manual download.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Oh, yeah! Huh. Ok. I've never done this before.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Fixed?

If the new recommended builds from the installer post are good, I'll put them in the manual post too.

That really, really sounds like the (mis)behavior of antivirus software. What's your antivirus, and have you just tried temporarily disabling it to see if it works?

Seems you are correct. Told Avast! to shut up and sit down and it worked without a hitch.

No errors upon loading the game, but the Debugger got angry when I tried to play the mission (again: Rheza Station) and spat an error.

Proper fs2_open.log posted.

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Are you playing with a debug build? You don't need to do that.

No, I'm playing with the standard build. I only broke out the debug build upon encountering this issue because I thought it would provide more useful information.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Okay. Run the FSO installer, see if the new patch fixes the issue. If not we've got trouble.

Offline CT27

Just to make sure I understand things right:  we should run the installer again to get this update/patch (I guess this would be patch/update #2)?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yes, tell it to install Blue Planet again and it will update automatically.

Offline CT27

Just in case someone needs to do it manually, what specific files in the BPC release post would we need to redownload?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Core, FS Blue, Visuals 1, Visuals 3, and Advanced if you're using that.

New patch and that new Nightly build seem to have done the trick. No more input delays, and the game is overall running much more smoothly. :yes:

Offline Makhpella

• Kharak is burning!
What's the name of DEM? It plays when the SD Abel warps in. It is also ****ing gorgeous.
Also, what's the name of brief08?
'I'm from the marksman school of conversation.' -Kovacs

Offline -Norbert-

Erm... everytime I select the exe file of the suggested nightly build it crashes my launchers... both the wx and the 5.5g one.

Any idea what's going on there?

If it's the same problem I was having, it's the antivirus being a dick.

It is strange though, the antivirus never had a problem with any FSO builds prior to 11/3... what exactly are you coders putting into these releases? :wtf:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 05:38:56 pm by Dark Hunter »

Offline CT27

Just a little heads up if people are doing it manually:

7-Zip has released a new version today.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
If it's the same problem I was having, it's the antivirus being a dick.

It is strange though, the antivirus never had a problem with any FSO builds prior to 11/3... what exactly are you coders putting into these releases? :wtf:
Well, Nightly Builds switched from VS 2013 to VS 2015, but that was on the 6th, not the 3rd... if we're triggering some kind of antivirus heuristic, though, it could just be a completely coincidental thing (a function change resulting in the compiled executable having a series of bytes that happens to now look suspicious). Or a recent definition update.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.