Author Topic: GVC Aten - How would you fix it?  (Read 21528 times)

Re: GVC Aten - How would you fix it?
Now 2 AAAs is a good fighter defense?

The Atens best fighter defense is that it's turrets appear to be out of phase or something, because most of the weapons figher aimed at its turrets doesn't seem to do anything. If it's a wing of Herc IIs against either a Fenris, or an Aten, my bets on the Hercs. Something like a Leviathan or a Mentu, has a chance though. All the cruisers can really be heaped into two categories

Herc IIs? I don't think the GTVA had civil wars in mind when they upgraded their forces. More likely they were preparing against an inevitable second Shivan invasion. Instead of Herc 2s, why not try Maras or Astaroths or Basilisks vs an Aten.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Does it really make a difference?

Shivan Hornets are just as bad, even if their primaries are pretty ****ty.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Shivan primaries are nerfed to give the player a fighting chance. If they were made stronger, all of Alpha 1's wingmen will die in two minutes.

Also keep in mind that the Kayser is derived from Shivan weaponry, so Shivan lasers should theoretically have about the same damage rates as the Kayser.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Shivan primaries are nerfed to give the player a fighting chance. If they were made stronger, all of Alpha 1's wingmen will die in two minutes.

Also keep in mind that the Kayser is derived from Shivan weaponry, so Shivan lasers should theoretically have about the same damage rates as the Kayser.

Not necesarily.
In COTS I've set all enemy weapons to be 2-3 times are powerwfull compared to stock (damage and rate of fire). It's true that you can no longer chase after a target while being shot in the rear - oh no, you better EVADE those shots mister!
However, it might be prudent to give the players wingmen a higher AI  setting. There is a difference in how long they survive, but it's a very small one.

Note than I'm testing my missions with those weapons AND a custom AI profile where the difference between difficulty levels has been greatly reduced, so the AI isn't so gimped on lower settings. Normal is the new hard (to put it mildly).
And I still can get trough missions without loosing almost any wingmen.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 07:49:05 am by TrashMan »
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Uh, Shivans have piss poor hull strengths. That's the difference. Hercules mark II has 275 hit points. Most Shivan fighters have no more than 100. All of their defensive strength is in their shields, the combination of weak hull and strong shields makes them both a challenge for the player and simultaneously makes allied ships with AAAf like the Aten effective support weapons.

Offline eliex

Yes, its one thing I liked about the balance of FS2 gameplay. AAA beams ignore shields, Shivan weak-hulled crafts die quickly.  :yes:

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny

Uh, Shivans have piss poor hull strengths. That's the difference. Hercules mark II has 275 hit points. Most Shivan fighters have no more than 100. All of their defensive strength is in their shields, the combination of weak hull and strong shields makes them both a challenge for the player and simultaneously makes allied ships with AAAf like the Aten effective support weapons.

There are a few exceptions like the Mara, which has both, but yeah, in general their hull armor is crap. SF Dragons in particular die pretty fast against almost any FS2 capship, especially cruisers.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline ShivanSpS

When i was working in my campaing i have just increased wingmen hitpoints to make them survive more than 2 min... so you could increase shivan weapong dmg if you also increase wingmen hitpoints.

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The aten welll errr.......i dunt know perhapsh plans 1 vasudan slasher on it and 2 aaaf beams ! and make sure its engines can get it to 35 m/s speed. awesome strike cruiser :D
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I'd leave it as it is, and use it in conjunction with a bomber wing.

The bomber wings go near the Aten for fighter cover with those two AAAfs and Subach's, while the bomber wing goes and eats up any capital ships.

Offline eliex

I might change the Aten to a role of artillery, by sharply increasing its firepower at the cost of its all-round speed.

Having a hi-tech Vasudan reactor, the Aten can be equipped with one frontal BVas, and have a maximum speed of 5.
This new Aten may be moderately cheap, and so it can be deployed in cruiser wings.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I might change the Aten to a role of artillery, by sharply increasing its firepower at the cost of its all-round speed.

Having a hi-tech Vasudan reactor, the Aten can be equipped with one frontal BVas, and have a maximum speed of 5.
This new Aten may be moderately cheap, and so it can be deployed in cruiser wings.
That is one of the most overkill statements yet in this thread.

I mean, giving the Aten a BVas? That's almost as bad as the Lilith! That wouldn't be cheap by any stretch of the imagination, even with the speed decrease.

That'd be unspeakably expensive and inefficient.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
If you want a Vasudan monitor, use the GVC Somtus. Looks the part better.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Rick James

• Scathed By Admins

Replace the Flaks on that thing with anti-fighter beams and I'd be sold. As it is Flak's lethality is debatable, and can't reliably shoot down bombs.

Boystrous 19 year old temp at work slapped me in the face with an envelope and laughed it off as playful. So I shoved him over a desk and laughed it off as playful. It's on camera so I can plead reasonable force.  Temp is now passive.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
If it had AAAs it would be OPed.
Not being able to shoot down bombs makes it more balanced. Weaknesses give ships more 'character'.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Not to mention more realism.  If you plant a big honkin' beam on a cruiser, it's unlikely that you're going to have any energy left over to power AAA beams.

...unless you're the Lilith, because the Lilith is awesome like that.

Offline eliex

Nice. Seems like another person got to the idea and brought it to life before me!  ;)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Am I the only person who sees the ugliness of that thing!?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
No. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Krelus

I wasn't gonna say anything, but all I can see when I look at that is a giant flying wang. Never been a big fan of tubeships, myself.