Author Topic: Hi Poly Tsunami Model  (Read 7244 times)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Hi Poly Tsunami Model
Yeah, I know, the mv_models says it has one, but I'm not seeing the hi-polyness of it. So I made one in about 5 or 10 minutes with Blender. Tell me what you think, and suggestions are welcome. :)

and it's 657 vertices and 656 faces. around 1300 polies, right?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Re: Hi Poly Tsunami Model
To be honest, that's a lot of polies to use on a bomb, I hope it's pretty heavily lodded :)

You can achieve things with smooth-groups that will save you a heck of a lot of polygons ;)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
actually, it's ony one LOD. :p i've only made one, and i'm working on getting a smoother-looking model, but blender does it to an extreme.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 04:57:29 pm by Cobra »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
There are several, but I'm not sure how well they convert

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
huh. apparently i can't set how much it's smoothed, even though there's an option that seemingly does diddly ****. so the result is horrible IMO.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Blender, as far as I've heard, is one of the tougher things to learn how to use, I've never learned to use it anywhere near it's full potential. Apperantly, it has nearly the function of 3DS, but is about five times harder to actually use.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
heh, i haven't either. :D

but, here's a pic at the first works that i've done with blender:

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Doesnt realy look like a tsunami, take a peek at the CBaanim again
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
i suppose that's what i get from trying to do the tsunami from memory.

[EDIT] Gah. I can't do this with my current blender skills. :hopping:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 02:26:36 pm by Cobra »

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Blender, as far as I've heard, is one of the tougher things to learn how to use, I've never learned to use it anywhere near it's full potential. Apperantly, it has nearly the function of 3DS, but is about five times harder to actually use.

At a basic, model, level it's not too bad.  Texturing, I never learned.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
i suppose that's what i get from trying to do the tsunami from memory.
There's a image from the CB-ani HERE.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
i already use the CBAni now. :p

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
ok, i re-did it from scratch, but i haven't added the thruster pods yet. i've tried to make the basic model look like the tsunami from the CBAnim.

any suggestions?

oh, and before i forget, i can't exactly scale things correctly in blender, so i might need someone to rescale it for me when i finish. :) (the scale in blender is also why this may look weird to some people)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 03:33:33 pm by Cobra »

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Much sexier, good luck with blender. If you manage to do this I mught start w/ blender again.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
If I were using Lightwave, I'd make that top cylinder a different material (though using the same texture) and apply smoothing to that material alone, that way you can avoid the horrible 'zombie polygon' effect of attempting to smooth a 90' anglem that way I could start reducing polies there. Not sure how you'd go about that in blender though :(

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
ok, how much detail should i put on the thruster pods?

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Well, for a tech model lod i'd say put enough detail that adding more detail wouldn't be a siginificant diference, without going insane on the polies. My tech model helios is areound 3000 triangles.

THe ingame model should obviously be much lower, for example, my ingame helios is around 300 tri's

So for the tech room i's say fiddle with between 6 and 8 sides and model in all the beveling on them, for the ingame model, 3 or 4 sides should do it with not all the beveling modeled.
In the tech model, you can use about 3 sides for the "second cylender"

Also, be sure to give it 4 thruster points!

And i think you can cut a bit back on the number of faces in the frontal sphere.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 05:24:53 pm by FireCrack »
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
here's some low-detail thruster pods:

i'm thinking of just keeping them that way.

and the smoothing doesn't add any polies, but i WOULD like to run it through an optimizer.

Damn, Firecrack's right, this is too many polies for an in-game model. I suppose this'll have to be a tech model until i can figure out how to model the in-game one.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 12:03:28 am by Cobra »

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Well, hell. If I add any more detail to it the poly count will go up to almost 5000. should i just keep it like this and work on the thruster pods?

Offline Apathy

use the super high poly version for weapon selection, then way lower poly for normally, you cant' really tell in game.