Author Topic: Cain strikes back - WIP  (Read 105838 times)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Re: Cain strikes back - WIP
Maybe a more irregular, scaled effect would do well?
I would actually think that the retail textures would make for better details on the model...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 03:36:35 pm by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Not really, girders aren't Shivan at all. They make them look weak, and the girders themselves look Terran. Plus, the retail texture looks much better and no no canon Shivan ship has girders on the texture...
And yet something has to hold those "plates of armor" on the aft sections of the Demon.
I still say they're girders. Unless everything's held together by Magic Glue.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Not really, girders aren't Shivan at all. They make them look weak, and the girders themselves look Terran. Plus, the retail texture looks much better and no no canon Shivan ship has girders on the texture...
And yet something has to hold those "plates of armor" on the aft sections of the Demon.
I still say they're girders. Unless everything's held together by Magic Glue.

Uh, or they're held in place by structure underneath, like on every other ship?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Before this circular argument goes any further, perhaps someone could do the favor of posting the original textures in question, so that everyone can make a valid comparison.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils

Pray tell that any of that looks remotely Shivan, I could see this on a Terran Freighter or something and it would work.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Those aren't really girders.

At least, not the same type of girders that we see on this model.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
OK, here's my Expert Opinion.

Overall, it's a great start. It has a definite Zeerust flavor to it, as if it came out of BioShock. The arms are my favorite part; I like the girders and the elbow panels,  and the little teeth at the ends. Great job.

I also really like the teardrops on the sides, and the arc where the upper armor meets the flanks. The FighterKiller turrets would fit in those teardrops nicely. However it is important that on the Lilith, those areas return to the iconic circles/pentagons of the original model, as the Lilith's Cluster Bombs are more deadly and have nice round shockwaves that match the launchers.

The nose needs more work, as right now it looks very basic. I like the idea of the Lilith having the tusks, and the Cain having more of a bullnose. Maybe smooth it out a little bit more, like the nose of BrandX's E-Wing.

Although the girders on the arms are appropriate, you did go overboard on the underside and flanks. You really should eliminate them, and find some other way to detail that area. Perhaps bevel those sharp edges connecting the red sides with the bottom panel, or completely re-invent the geometry there. The girders are OK in the little areas on either side of the engine slots.

Keep up the work. I'd like to see 'clay' renders with Ambient Occlusion, though, as right now the contrast is a little low and we can't make out the details.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
That post, I agree with.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft

I <3 that texture. And for any dolts out there who want to claim that it doesn't look Shivan... Shivan ships have girders and pipes and stuff just like Terran ships do. Heck, even Vasudan ships have 'em. The only significant differences are a) the superficial ones, like coloration, and the overall shape, and b) the deep-under-the-surface internal ones, like that in FS1 they had shields and we didn't, or that their ships didn't show up on our sensors for whatever reason.

So nyeah.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
:bump:

Any updates on this?

Also, a question: are the two spikes on the top the same distance apart as they are in retail? I reckon they should be, so that it doesn't become easier or harder to fly between them...

Also, can we get a view of the front, pl0x?

Offline c914

• www.scfi.pl

As you can see there had been few changes to girders, now they are less regular. At nose and bottom part I'm still working...
BTW Red paint  is there only for for underline deepens of some parts.

I reckon they should be, so that it doesn't become easier or harder to fly between them...
Right now they aren't but they will be.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Great work, it's awesome.  :)
I wonder how it will look textured and fully turreted.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I like it better the overall shape :yes:, maybe you could also try extruding a little bit the griders.. just so it seems they are unatached from the underliying hull...something like the colossus ones, but not that prominent, just a suggestion, but it's looking great now anyways :nod:

« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 06:35:30 am by Rodo »
el hombre vicio...

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's looking very good, but, frankly, I prefer the circular missile launcher enclosures more.

Offline TacOne

• Dabbling Modder
This is looking great!

Can't wait to see this in-game.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
It's looking very good, but, frankly, I prefer the circular missile launcher enclosures more.
Then everyone's going to whine about giving it a pentagonal depression, which I still say was made just to use less polygons. I say this missile launcher is fine the way it is.
However, if anything it could be compressed length-wise so it looks more like a distorted circle instead of a teardrop.

Before I forget, great progress, I'm getting more and more eager to see this in action.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 07:56:57 am by Commander Zane »

Looks great, very streamlined. I kind of feel like there's too much red in it, but it still is way better than what we currently got. :yes:

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Hey uh, would the red diamond in the texture fit on the bottom? If it doesn't you should change it. It's what makes the Cain/Lilith and Lucifer look similar, as well as acting as an identifier for the bottom side.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I like the new girders. :)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.

nice - but is that just me or do the lower arms have another orientation in the original model?
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."