Author Topic: Plans and progress  (Read 5265 times)

Hi

even though it might sound as if i wanted to know when the game is out (which i do wanna know) it is not the case.

i wanted to ask whether this is intentionally closed project or whether you could point us to some sources (code/art) and maybe let us follow your svn/git/... logs

also i wonder whether there will be:

1) a fancy hangar bay as in the original FS instead of menu.
2) pilot models (reasonably high model faces, whole bodies in hangar, maybe some droids running around too) - video communication similar to FS planed ?
3) will all missions (at least the space / orbit ones) end will hyperspace jump? or will there be landing in hangar bays?

an idea for missions:

imperial search for rebel bases (would require flora etc.) - just a tip in case you did not have anything to do :D (joking)

i really loved FS and i love SW too, this projects looks amazing ;)

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
1) a fancy hangar bay as in the original FS instead of menu.

Probably just a menu. Personally, I even prefer straightforward menus to the unavoidably less clear mainhalls.

2) pilot models (reasonably high model faces, whole bodies in hangar, maybe some droids running around too) - video communication similar to FS planed ?

No, probably not. In the future, if someone would make said models, maybe, but for the foreseeable future comms visuals will be text only.

3) will all missions (at least the space / orbit ones) end will hyperspace jump? or will there be landing in hangar bays?

Some missions will end with hyperspace jumps, some with hangar landings, and some rare ones might end in other ways (fadeout, cutscene, etc). Whatever we think fits best in any given mission. Similarly, some missions begin with you exiting hyperspace or starting in a hangar bay.

I understand, though i will miss hangar menus :/ :D

Offline Al-Rik

Will Fate of the Galaxy have Cockpits ?

Offline zookeeper

Not in the first release, but they're a possible addition later on.

Offline starlord

do you see multiple hyperspace jumps as possible (a la XWA)?

Offline zookeeper

Possible, yes, but it'd take a lot of work to get right and it's not much of a priority, as red-alert missions seem to work well enough.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Red-alert.
Work.
Surely you jest.

Or is that "work" just like how HYPERSPACE-type warpin "works" (by that meaning randomly fails 6% of the time)
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.

Possible, yes, but it'd take a lot of work to get right and it's not much of a priority, as red-alert missions seem to work well enough.
It's not that much work. I'm pretty sure I sent Chief my approach to it (a bit hackish, but working surprisingly well), and in-mission jump system used in VD might be another good candidate. The biggest problem (with both of them) I can think of now would be to adapt the visuals script to run during in-mission jumps, but I'm pretty sure that's doable.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
There's one pair of red-alert missions, and I doubt there will be more. If FotG gets real close to release and red-alerting still causes trouble, I will use campaign-persistent variables.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 02:01:08 am by TopAce »
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

What about the vcs logs?

Not in the first release, but they're a possible addition later on.

Please, god, make it happen. It made a huge difference in immersion for me, when playing Diaspora. Besides it always hirked me how come every star wars space simulator, so far, has failed to capture the dark ominous ambience of the Tie Fighter cockpit.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 07:58:10 am by Colchetes Doiro »

Offline zookeeper

The only real problem with cockpits is that we'd need so many of them. Making one or two? No problem. Making a dozen? Requires lots and lots of work, and that's about how many we'd need.

But yes, it does make a huge difference for immersion, so hopefully we'll get them eventually.

The only real problem with cockpits is that we'd need so many of them. Making one or two? No problem. Making a dozen? Requires lots and lots of work, and that's about how many we'd need.

But yes, it does make a huge difference for immersion, so hopefully we'll get them eventually.

True that, although most TIE ships have fairly similar cockpits which could ease up the task a little. Then again, it's good to know the team is at least interested in it. Time is really irrelevant as long as we get proper cockpits, and most people around here already got used to waiting.

Is there any chance you folks could release a new preview video anytime soon though? I would like to see some current gameplay in action, given that the last preview is about 2 years old.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
In general, TIE fighters should have identical, or almost identical cockpits due to them having a common basic hull. X-W and the Headhunter would most likely also have similar cockpits, with a different canopy. That'd cut down the number of different models needed significantly. Also, since they're not needed for FREDing, modelers could work on them when the assets are mostly finished and FREDing is the main focus.

Modelers such as you, Dragon?  ;) Seriously, there aren't a lot of active modelers for fate of the galaxy, and even fewer riggers/importers. I don't think we'd turn down a contribution of cockpits, in fact, it would help us immeasurably.

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
  • maveric modeler, the sky is just the begining
actualy bobb, I can rig and import/export, however I usualy have issues with some complex stuff, and without a scaling ref some things could go badly. I would consider, however, since I know nothing about FSO cockpits that would be interesting