Author Topic: Hi there, I have a question.  (Read 3191 times)

Offline darthdoull

• Interesting...
    • I'm from this side of the galaxy.
Hi there, I have a question.
Hi, I just wish to introduce myself. I'm Aaron or darthdoull. I'm from Canada. I bought Freespace 1 when it first released in 1998 and loved it. Bought Freespace 2 the following year when it first released. I've been a long time lurker of Hunter's Freespace Sector. I knew about this site but I never really came over for a visit until now. And that's about it for now, I guess.

My question, I noticed other really, really old threads of people searching and hiring modelers and texturers, nothing recent though. My question is where do I recruit a modeler and a texturer? I need one for a public release mod that I've been working on for a few months.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Re: Hi there, I have a question.
You could ask in General Freespace Discussion or Freespace Modding, but I have to be honest with you, we're not really crumbling under modellers and texturers, and especially not any that aren't already busy with other mods or personal projects.

I heavily suggest digging into our growing base of user-made ships to find stuff to toy with for your mod instead.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 06:07:53 am by MatthTheGeek »
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
texturing skills especially are in short supply, as matth says looking at community pool of ships or going DIY on it.  indeed often the best way to recruit at the moment seems to be to put together the assets yourself, create a good mod in terms of solid story and gameplay and let people offer to help, IIRC that is how both Blue Planet and Wings Of Dawn got going
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline darthdoull

• Interesting...
Thanks for the suggestions but using third-party models in this instance just won't do.

I at least need a modeler to create 5 ships. Maybe I could learn how to apply textures... I have 3DX Max 8 and I've tried to follow the instructions in the modelling creation pages but I just don't have the patience for it... :sigh:

I'm also retexturing every Terran ship in the vanilla game for a new species and that's taking up most of my time lately. I need a modeler and a texturer to contribute 5 additional models for the project. I'll try my luck with posting in the modding section... Afterall, it's up to the modeler/texturer if they want to jump onboard. I'll see about creating an informative message...

Thanks for the help!

Offline Lorric

Wings Of Dawn
What? I thought Spoon did it all on his own?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Wings Of Dawn

Surprised you are unaware of this, but yes, the original WoD release was all Spoon's solo work.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Wings Of Dawn

he did, release 1 was his own work which is one of the number things that made WoD so impressive. 
Now that WoD is out a few of the ppl here have offered on and off to assist in the continued development hence several people having WoD badges now
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Thanks for the suggestions but using third-party models in this instance just won't do.

I at least need a modeler to create 5 ships. Maybe I could learn how to apply textures... I have 3DX Max 8 and I've tried to follow the instructions in the modelling creation pages but I just don't have the patience for it... :sigh:

I'm also retexturing every Terran ship in the vanilla game for a new species and that's taking up most of my time lately. I need a modeler and a texturer to contribute 5 additional models for the project. I'll try my luck with posting in the modding section... Afterall, it's up to the modeler/texturer if they want to jump onboard. I'll see about creating an informative message...

Thanks for the help!

I wish you all the luck in the world, but 5 is... a large number of ships to hope for at anything like reasonable quality. One you might get, possibly two, but you're going to be enormously lucky to find someone who has  both the skill and the free time to commit to that large of a project.

I'd suggest posting exactly what you need, and seeing if there's anything that anybody else might be able to suggest, either released or possibly unfinished but available somewhere. Even if that tyens out not to be the case, you'll absolutely be better off describing what you want, an open ended 5 ship commitment is a big project to sign up for with no details.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 09:32:02 am by Black Wolf »
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
try this:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=84335.0

you can learn to texture for yourself if you can get the models done.
You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War

Offline darthdoull

• Interesting...
try this:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=84335.0

you can learn to texture for yourself if you can get the models done.

Thank you, I've read that many times.

I've tried many resources but modelling just isn't my thing.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Relax. I remember being an impatient brat all the time when I started modelling. :lol:

You develop the patience at the same pace and time you acquire the skills.

Now, UV mapping...
:shaking:

Try starting with simple models, like containers, fuel tanks, etc.

Offline darthdoull

• Interesting...
Who said I'm just starting? ;)

For all purposes, I need a modeler for my team.

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
did you go down to the textiring section
You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War

Offline darthdoull

• Interesting...
did you go down to the textiring section

Hm... Which section is that? I'll look...

I should tell more about myself, I've been modeling for at least 6 or 7 years. I've created cars, simple animated characters, to military tanks and even city blocks. But to be really honest, I'm just not into it anymore, I'd rather leave it in more capable hands. My enjoyment with Freespace, however, never seems to go away everytime I play it. In 2006-2007 I gave away my 3-CD Box and original manual to a friend thinking I'd never want to play it again. But heck, one year, I came across GOG.com and found FS2 on there. Instant nostalgia, I wanted to start modding again. I came back, and created a Star Wars mod pack, although a bit glitchy since it had certain elements that worked fine on older versions of Open. Now, I had this very fascinating idea to create another mod pack but this time do something entirely different. It seems Hunter's Freespace Sector is dead, no one really goes there anymore, not even Flipside and I thought he would never let go of it. Changing times I guess.

So, I came here. Looking for a modeler to help me in my endeavor for this (more than likely) final mod pack that I'm sure people will find both interesting and amusing.

Edit: Forgive me, yes, I have heard of textiring before. It just didn't ring a bell... I'll pursue that avenue, thank you, ShadowWolf.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 11:45:08 am by darthdoull »