Author Topic: OLD FreeSpace Open Installer  (Read 762591 times)

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Re: FreeSpace Open Installer! Download it now!
I just downloaded the zipped .exe installer at 5500 kb/s.

I have never seen that before. Jeebus.

Thank [DW]-Hunter. He got me the hosting.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Now if only the FSO files would download at the same speed.

The updater is running, all green lights. Amazing work as usual.
Consider, friend, as you pass by, as you are now, so once was I.
As I am now, you too shall be. Prepare, therefore, to follow me.

-- Scottish tombstone epitaph

It said that the .mve cut scenes were outdated, when really I'd taken them off the retail CD and put them in the FreeSpace2 directory. So I told it no, not to update.

Now it says the .ogg cut scenes are outdated- what are they?

No, they haven't changed.

Yes, but I'm curious as to what they are.

I know .mve's are the intro/ending type cutscenes, what are the .ogg?

Same thing, in the new format. They're half as big too.

Links to explanations are in my sig, find the cutscenes section.

Now, I assume using .ogg cutscenes would cause problems with retail FS2.

Are there any improvements besides size that would make me want to use them instead of my retail .mve's?

Not that I know of. If you already have the mve's, save yourself the bandwidth.

Thanks much :)

I suppose my only gripe is that you have to sit through it downloading everything, to tell it what you want to update (using the .exe updater).

It'd be better if it scanned your files first, then asked you what you wanted to update, then downloaded and installer.

you ought to concider a more user friendly interface on your FSOInstaller turey, the dos screen seems a little imtimidating for noobs

I find it odd that canceling the installer at any time means that you have to restart the whole thing, regardless of how for you got. I assume it doesn't start installing anything until all the downloading is done.

I got to the point where it told me that my FS1Port extra were old/non existent, would I like to download? I said yes, and a little while into it I canceled, because I realized that the FS1Port extras were the .mve's which I already had. I canceled it and figured I could run it again and skip over everything I'd already downloaded, but this wasn't the case.

So I guess two things. What about having the installer search for already downloaded core files (or installed right after they're downloaded), so that canceling the downloader doesn't mean you start from square one again. Also, having it search more than one directory for the required files. I'm not sure the best way to do this, but all my FS2 .mve's are in my root game directory, and all my FS1Port .mve's are in my fspor\data directory, and the installer told me that both of them dont exist.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
I suppose my only gripe is that you have to sit through it downloading everything, to tell it what you want to update (using the .exe updater).

It'd be better if it scanned your files first, then asked you what you wanted to update, then downloaded and installer.

That's the very next fix on my list. It's coming, don't worry.
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Well Turey I said I'd get back with ya and I am, I downloaded your newest updater,and updated FS2 last night, heres my assessment, its a little slower than the last one I used, but it still works, Does what I needed, it updated FS2,  I'm not a computer god or anything, but if I can update using it then anybody can.

All in all its not that hard and I like  it.
All vista problems can be corrected, by upgrading to XP

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Installer updated, changelog to follow. These things have been added to the Installer (but not the Updater... yet.)

1. Move all the needed user interaction to the front, so it can be left alone after you start it.
3. Preliminary GUI.
5. Add descriptions to sections. (isn't being used yet, need to fix Updater first.)

The largest complaint with the Java Installer has been fixed. There is now a GUI. Try it out!

EDIT: Hunter tells me the .exe doesn't work. Let me test it on another machine and I'll see what's wrong.

EDIT2: I've upload a version of the .exe that I THINK will work. Try it out, but I won't be able to do anything to fix problems till morning. I KNOW the .jar works, it's just the .exe that is suspect. If you can't get the .exe to work, use the .jar

EDIT3: I know the .exe works now. Have fun!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 04:12:32 pm by Turey »

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Installer and Updater updated, changelog to follow. These things have been added:

2. Updater check file existence and size, won't re-download if it exists and is the same size. It even checks inside of the .zip files!

Updater GUI

Updater has all interaction up front.

These are coming tonight:

3. merge the Retail and Open Installers. Also includes checking for retail existence. (This will only happen once the Open Installer is as user-friendly as the current Retail Installer.)

Give all sections descriptions

Things to note about operation of the Updater:

If you already have some files, but the updater hasn't been seeing them, make sure you select the section you have the files for, and THEN it will check if you have them, and if you do, it won't re-download them.

EDIT: Alright, I just got word from the computer repair place that my laptop is completely dead. So that's going to throw off my whole coding schedule. Expect a lot of delays as I try to find a machine I can continue working on.

EDIT2: Now that the Updater recognizes files already installed, [DW]-Hunter and I have added the Retail files to the Open Installer.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 11:05:43 pm by Turey »

The installer should work as a full installer now, I have also added modding tools to the download as an option.

Offline Q

good progress dudes  :yes:

however i ran in problems after playing for a few days now. actually i think the first error message appeared while playing the sync campaign. now after completing it, i am unable to start the game with almost any fs2 mods or even without mods at all.

i am not sure if this thread is the right place to post about this problem / means if its linked to your installer in some way or if the source is to be found with FSO or the sync campaign. so i would appreciate a little guidance for my problem here a lot.

ive put the repetitive part at the end.
Code: [Select]
Error: icons.tbl(line 6:
Error: Missing required token: [#Start]. Found [:]  instead.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Error: weapons.tbl(line 512:
Error: Required token = [#End] or [$Name:], found [@Laser Glow: 2_laserglow03]
in weapon: GTVA Rapid Laser.

Error: weapons.tbl(line 513:
Error: Required token = [#End] or [$Name:], found [@Laser Color: 190, 150, 250]

Error: weapons.tbl(line 514:
Error: Required token = [#End] or [$Name:], found [@Laser Color2: 190, 150, 250]

File:J:\src\cvs\fs2_open_3_6_9.final\code\Parse\PARSELO.CPP
Line: 659
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

note that i have updated all files to the latest version with the latest version of your installer from a clean fs2 install - with no problems for the first few days.
also there is no icons.tbl or weapons.tbl to be found as a single file inside my freespace folder.

in addition ive attached a dxdiag if that could be of any use.

launcher6.ini
[launcher]
exe_filepath = D:\Games\Freespace\fs2_open_3_6_9.exe;
game_flags =  -spec -glow -env -jpgtga -mipmap -nomotiondebris -2d_poof -missile_lighting -dualscanlines -targetinfo -orbradar -rearm_timer -ship_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -snd_preload -show_mem_usage ;
active_mod = ;

any help appreciate a lot - cheers!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
You have Inferno RC1 VPs stuck in the wrong place, if you're not running any mods.

Just in case, shame on you Turey, you didn't put stuff in the right folders. :P
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

why the **** do you have 11 partitions?!?!?!?