Author Topic: Starcraft 2: It's official.  (Read 36848 times)

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Re: Starcraft 2: It's official.
Unfortunately it seems that things such as Supreme Commander's zoom and queues won't be in Starcraft 2 because they are not "conducive to competitive play."

Overall, "cyber athletics" is used as an excuse for piss-poor design in Command and Conquer 3, and lack of innovation in SC2.

SC2 will be polished though, just sadly not pushing the envelope or even moving along with the rest of the genre.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Unfortunately it seems that things such as Supreme Commander's zoom and queues won't be in Starcraft 2 because they are not "conducive to competitive play."

Overall, "cyber athletics" is used as an excuse for piss-poor design in Command and Conquer 3, and lack of innovation in SC2.

SC2 will be polished though, just sadly not pushing the envelope or even moving along with the rest of the genre.

Couldnt agree more, although thats an entirely diferent argument in that field :)
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Could someone explain to me the logic in directly comparing Command & Conquer 3, completed and released game, and an early build - presumably pre-alpha - version of Starcraft 2? Seriously, what the ****?

Let's not even talk about people complaining about components that will or won't be in the game. Think about it, guys: When WarCraft III was at this stage in its development cycle, they had three races: Ork, Human, and Burning Legion. It doesn't take a genius to just step back and realise it's early ****ing days!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 08:20:57 pm by Mefustae »

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
Very easy... if they dont want people throwing in what they think from what they see, simply do not release any content other than "hey, were making Starcraft 2) ;)

Take a look at how Fallout is being handled... no-one knows what to expect yet, because there is nothing yet to see (well apart from 3 concept art pieces)
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Raven is a god.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
btw:

World of Starcraft, lol
SCREW CANON!

btw:

World of Starcraft, lol

hahahahah.

Hmm, am I the only one who would like to see a StarCraft-meets-Diablo kinda game?
tianjun1298 > Your this only the fine insect which escapes from the condom

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
That'd be bollocks, really. Where's the fun in taking out hordes of daemons with a rapid-firing 8mm hypersonic gauss-rifle?

Oh, wait, taking out hordes of daemons with a rapid-firing 8mm hypersonic gauss-rifle would be ridiculously fun, wouldn't it? And I guess defeating Diablo himself through the use of a tactical nuclear strike would be awesome incarnate. Perhaps taking out Ba'al's pissy little catapults with Siege Tank artillery... Damn, it'd seem you're not alone on this one.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 07:54:36 am by Mefustae »

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
I suppose he just meant a diablo-like in the starcraft universe. Well, there's already games like that anyway (the two Crusader, No Remorse and No Regret, for instance, if you want a scifi diablo).
SCREW CANON!

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Harbinger is clearly the superior sci-fi Diablo.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
I suppose he just meant a diablo-like in the starcraft universe.
Ah. Yeeeaah. Well, you see...

*Runs*

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
btw:

World of Starcraft, lol

Eheh!! That made my day :D

Raven is a god.

Offline Cyker

I don't care as long as they make the singleplayer story really really awesome.

I still have a faint desire to siegetank and yamoto the crap out of Kerrigan's annoyingly smug face, and if they can coax that enough I'd buy the game even if it was still 2D and had no new units!

As long as they don't try and do anything 'Exciting and Dynamic' or some marketing BS like that, it'll be good.

Be interesting to see how it fares against Dawn of War, which has been our little group's SC replacement for a while now (I mean, those Terran Raptor units are so similar to the Assault Marines in WH40k... then again with most games you can draw all sorts of parallels with other things these days 'eh?).

Biggest downside for me is that they appear to have kept the annoying unit selection limit :(

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
DOW rocks...nothing makes your day like teleporting a squad of termies behind enemy lines :D
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Edit: I forgot to mention that this is all from one of the copies of the gameplay vid on youtube.

PART 1
- Marines as Jump troopers
- Landing dropships(?)
- NEW: Temporary/portable pylon

PART 2
- Warping in units via Pyons
- NEW: Protoss self-warpers
- Siege tanks with less severe minimum range
- Different pattern of Nydus canal usage
- Green zerglings?
- More durable Zealots(?)
- NEW: Protoss mecha
- NEW: Protoss fighters

PART 3
- NEW: Protoss beam corvettes
- NEW: Protoss Mothership
- NEW: Temporary super shield
- NEW: Protoss Black Hole Weapon

PART 4:

So it'd seem that slight elevation changes have become much less of an issue, at least once someone has upgraded sufficiently. Protoss air power has been altered considerably. They also seem to have gained at least one new unit which is roughly analogous to Terran Jump Troopers.

The temporary pylon ship would let you establish a well-defended Protoss base in a fraction of the time it would normally take, since you could queue up Pylons and other buildings simultaneously, as well as warp in units to defend the base.

According to some Youtube comments the Protoss mothership is overpowered, it seems roughly analogous to a Carrier, but is apparently also a spellcaster.

The Zerg Nydus canals are interesting - they looked scripted, but there were quite a few of them. Maybe just for dramatic effect, but it seems worth noting.

So I find it hard to believe that there's going to be no gameplay changes in Starcraft 2, given that the game isn't even to pre-alpha stage and the Protoss armada has already been redesigned.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 06:07:05 pm by WMCoolmon »
-C

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I wouldn't worry about balance at this stage of development. SC1 certainly wasn't better balanced when it was only half-ready.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Wasn't it so that it was said in the very beginning "game not balanced yet" or something on the line?

Their is one unit I miss very much so far...the carrier. I just loved the carrier I have build masses of the them just for the view of a fleet of these ships ^_^
That was if I survied that long...wasn't never realy good.

As from what I saw so far their seems to be some new elements to SC, maybe not to the genre itselft but to SC, that I like. The stuff is mentioned above.
Other thing is that it seams that they will try to keep the balance similar to the old SC where even "tech1" units are later still usefull.
In many games you got units from the early stage of the game that later become useless.

Anyway I am quite interested in anything new about the development. What I have seen looked nice and had some potentional IMO. The graphic is a matter of taste to me. I can life with the current look while I would prefere a more darked and realistic look.
That could be a nice mod if the game would be modable. Replaceing the textures with something different or even just make the overall look a tad darker.
I hope the game will be modable.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

I still have a faint desire to siegetank and yamoto the crap out of Kerrigan's annoyingly smug face, and if they can coax that enough I'd buy the game even if it was still 2D and had no new units!

As long as they don't try and do anything 'Exciting and Dynamic' or some marketing BS like that, it'll be good.

Agreed.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Edit: I forgot to mention that this is all from one of the copies of the gameplay vid on youtube.

PART 1
- Marines as Jump troopers
- Landing dropships(?)
- NEW: Temporary/portable pylon

PART 2
- Warping in units via Pyons
- NEW: Protoss self-warpers
- Siege tanks with less severe minimum range
- Different pattern of Nydus canal usage
- Green zerglings?
- More durable Zealots(?)
- NEW: Protoss mecha
- NEW: Protoss fighters

PART 3
- NEW: Protoss beam corvettes
- NEW: Protoss Mothership
- NEW: Temporary super shield
- NEW: Protoss Black Hole Weapon

PART 4:

So it'd seem that slight elevation changes have become much less of an issue, at least once someone has upgraded sufficiently. Protoss air power has been altered considerably. They also seem to have gained at least one new unit which is roughly analogous to Terran Jump Troopers.

The temporary pylon ship would let you establish a well-defended Protoss base in a fraction of the time it would normally take, since you could queue up Pylons and other buildings simultaneously, as well as warp in units to defend the base.

According to some Youtube comments the Protoss mothership is overpowered, it seems roughly analogous to a Carrier, but is apparently also a spellcaster.

The Zerg Nydus canals are interesting - they looked scripted, but there were quite a few of them. Maybe just for dramatic effect, but it seems worth noting.

So I find it hard to believe that there's going to be no gameplay changes in Starcraft 2, given that the game isn't even to pre-alpha stage and the Protoss armada has already been redesigned.
RE: The Protoss mothership the gameplay video that Blizzard release has the guy talking repeatedly say that the mothership should be out of power right now but for the sake of this demo were going to keep it powered up and that balance changes would be ongoing before release.  Its also a one-of on the battlefield so you just have the one which makes it a nice big target if you can bring it down.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
While the Black Hole Generator is rather impressive, I'd rather have seen a modified Arbiter type ship with that and the time dialation field along with Carriers. Carriers with auto-build and the option of fighters and bombers would have been nice.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
I agree...I have just recently started playing Starcraft again and the carriers are one of my favorit units.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"