Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic E3 trailer  (Read 8870 times)

Offline Rick James

• Scathed By Admins
Star Wars: The Old Republic E3 trailer
Bioware recently unveiled a trailer at E3 for their Star Wars MMO.

I may have my reservations about the game itself, but damn. If you can't dig the trailer you have no soul.

Boystrous 19 year old temp at work slapped me in the face with an envelope and laughed it off as playful. So I shoved him over a desk and laughed it off as playful. It's on camera so I can plead reasonable force.  Temp is now passive.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic E3 trailer
I may have my reservations about the game itself, but damn. If you can't dig the trailer you have no soul.

Yep, that was about my reaction too.

Offline aRaven

trailer was awesome.. still won't buy mmo ****.

btw. the fights in the trailer and the trailer itself are/is way better than the prequels altogether.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Damn, that was one nice trailer.

Offline darkone

• Space Sims will NEVER DIE
    • Space Sim Central
The trailer was great quality and they should make a animated SW movie just like that.

But I would think about playing it once I really get to see the gameplay and character development. I just don't want it like the first one.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
...btw. the fights in the trailer and the trailer itself are/is way better than the prequels altogether.

You do realize that after playing a couple of hours with a lightsaber in your hand, the moves will quickly become repetitive. That was my experience with KotOR II; I was amazed by the moves that I saw in the trailer, but after being halfway through the story, I have seen all the moves. Now it's no longer that awesome.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

After playing both KOTOR for days on end, I never really did find the dynamic fighting animations boring...

or maybe it was the fact that I had twin silver-colored lightsabers. :P

That trailer looks hella sweet. I don't really care if the MMO is going to be nothing like that, inevitably; I'm just the kind of person that would rather watch the cutscenes from final fantasy than play the ****ty game. :D
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Now that I have watched the trailer, these cannot be in-game moves. This is just a short film to advertise the product.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

I have a feeling that it is simply a metheod of generating hype and it doesn't contribute to the story of the game at all.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Now that I have watched the trailer, these cannot be in-game moves. This is just a short film to advertise the product.

They never claimed otherwise.

I have a feeling that it is simply a metheod of generating hype and it doesn't contribute to the story of the game at all.

It doesn't contribute to the gameplay, but what you said is dead wrong: this is outlining the story of the game. The whole idea is that the Sith Empire has toppled the Republic.

When the hell did the Sith ever topple the Old Republic?
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Aside from in Episode 3?  :p

The idea is that the Sith Empire popped in from the Unknown Regions, kicked the Republic off Coruscant, and have forced an uneasy peace. It's kind of a cold war situation.

Since when have the Sith ever been fans of the status quo?  You would think they would be pressing their military advantage over the peaceful Republic.

Aside from that, just watched the trailer, it was sweet.  I would still rather have KOTOR3 than this, which looks like an attempt to combine the KOTOR franchise with WoW.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
[Vader]...impressive...[/Vader]

The trailer is great, but it's a MMO. No way i gonna play that.
Make that a Single player game and i buy it.
Bioware succeeds and fails at the same time...disturbing.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I agree. I really wish this was just KOTOR 3. I guess Bioware doesn't want to wrap up Obsidian's story? Or should we take this 'Sith Empire' to be the True Sith spoken of in KOTOR 2?

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Well, by KOTOR2, the Jedi are mostly dead, and in KOTOR1, they are on Dantooine.  Too much of a stretch to say that there's a reason that they're on Dantooine?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
We know why they're on Dantooine: because of Revan and Malak.

This is set well after that. The Jedi had a chance to rebuild, have a big ol' temple on Coruscant (as we see in the prequels), then get driven off again and forced back to Tython.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
It looks like the the KOTOR MMO is loosely based on the darkside ending of Kotor 1.

IIRC, the Jedi never left Coruscant.

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
my only issue with this is that i think i saw some gameplay earlier that looked cartoonish...
god i hope that the gmaes looks even a little like that trailer....
probably won't buy it, though, unless they had no sub fee, but that is rather unlikely...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It looks like the the KOTOR MMO is loosely based on the darkside ending of Kotor 1.

IIRC, the Jedi never left Coruscant.

No, I believe the lightside ending of KOTOR 1 is canonical. This is set several hundred (thousand?) years after KOTOR II.