Author Topic: FS2 in Galactic Civ II  (Read 2914 times)

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
FS2 in Galactic Civ II
I just got GalCivII like a month ago and have been playing the hell out of it.

Recently I've been looking at mods and of how to mod it. I started playing a Stargate mod by one Mr FoxThree and learning how it works to copy exactly what was changed from vanilla.

My goal was simply to make a little Robotech mini-mod and then expand it.

So I got that started and today found out he has not only an extensive multi-anime-mod WIP quite progressed, but a Freespace2 one as well!

He's gotten zero response from his native community so if anyone aside from me cares, say something and I'll link him here!

Quote from: foxthree;12671
I have freespace 1 and 2. Its been so long since Ive played the games also I did not know it was modible. I still perfer x3 over it. Just recently I made a mod based on freespace for gc2. Haven't decided to release it to the public yet, need more feedback.
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Re: FS2 in Galactic Civ II
Okay, he's made a FreeSpace2 mod for GC2, which is great.  Now if only he could make the base game not require constant supervision by the player for everything I might play it.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

He prefers X over FS  :wtf:
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
That's not a crime, they are two completely different styles of game.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
That's not what he is getting at, what he's really saying is that FS is much better than X3 because X3 is very, very boring.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
That's not what he is getting at, what he's really saying is that FS is much better than X3 because X3 is very, very boring.

X3 is a very different style of game and im not just on about the financial aspect of it but in gameplay terms its like MS flight sim with guns its designed to follow a more realistic movement system and a more balanced approach to ship design (as opposed to FS fighter orientated design), play it with battkeships and you have a very slow game, play it with fighters and its just as nippy as FS just with a lot more sliding and greater perception needed
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£

For you.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Hades is causing confusion and disturbing tha peace.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Thing is, in Freespace, you cannot build your own stations and factories, you cannot choose to fly through a particular Jump Point to see what is in the system beyond it, you cannot work to earn money to upgrade your ship, the two games are, apart from being set in space, entirely different from each other, some people prefer the FS, mission-based style of play, others prefer the Sandbox, open-ended style of gameplay in X, but there is no 'right' or 'wrong' game to like, it's all down to personal taste.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Thing is, in Freespace, you cannot build your own stations and factories, you cannot choose to fly through a particular Jump Point to see what is in the system beyond it, you cannot work to earn money to upgrade your ship, the two games are, apart from being set in space, entirely different from each other, some people prefer the FS, mission-based style of play, others prefer the Sandbox, open-ended style of gameplay in X, but there is no 'right' or 'wrong' game to like, it's all down to personal taste.

And just to confuse things i like em both lol
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Same here ;)

Freespace 2 has the strength that because it is mission-centric, those missions can be far more complex and in-depth than X, but X has the advantage that you are not on tram-lines going through an almost linear set of options. Both games sacrifice realism in one respect for the sake of realism in another, both have strong, and weak, points, and I can get as much fun from playing either.

Edit: I think that the reason some people find X boring is because it doesn't have the 'Alpha-1' factor, you start out as a very small fish in a very big ocean, and becoming anything beyond that takes quite a bit of time and effort earning money to buy the equipment, so a great deal of patience and effort is required in order to start fighting things bigger than a Corvette (not a FS Corvette, an X Corvette) and every penny you spend is valuable, losing a ship isn't a question of restarting, it's a question of earning enough to replace it, that doesn't appeal to some people.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 04:15:52 pm by Flipside »

X is basically an MMO, just without the online part.  You should only play if you enjoy grinding your way to the top.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Sounds like a twitch-based rpg...
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
It's sort of a mixture of the several types of game, there's not quite enough control over your units for it to be really considered an Strategy game, not quite, the wing system is of limited help, but it's not quite an MMO either, since you can set up automated systems that earn money for you, kind of like a bot, but built into the game. There's a certain amount of RPG in it, but it's an RPG in the same sort of way that Elite is an RPG.

I'd like band-select on units in a sector, it would certainly increase control over the game in out-of-system battles, instead things just tend to steam towards the nearest enemy, regardless of relative size/firepower.

I haven't played either X or Eve Online so take what I say with a grain of salt, but from what I've heard the X games really remind me of a single-player version of Eve Online.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Actually, it somewhat is, but it has more of a Freelancer ship movement/combat style instead.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Yeah, and I wouldn't play Eve Online due to it being more like work than a video game, so I won't play the X games for that same reason.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
The main reason Eve Online is like work is because you have to do all your hauling, trading and fighting personally, in X, that can be automated, so that it doesn't become a grind. Secondly, Eve is third person, not first person. You can even buy a mining vessel and tell it to mine minerals in a specific sector and sell those minerals for the best price, so even the most basic grinding can be automated.

As I said earlier, the hard part in X is getting started, that does require some grinding, I'll admit, but once you have the mechanisms in place, you can relax and enjoy the universe itself to a far greater degree than something like Eve. And not liking RPG's isn't a crime either, no-one's saying you have to like the game, but, similarly, there's no point criticising someone else for liking the game.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 04:19:45 pm by Flipside »

Oh no, if people want to play it, that's their thing.

I just want to, you know, go around and pull some rogue trader crap while I hunt pirates and loot their loot, do the occasional trading run when I'm bored, and of course blow up enemy ships.  You know, like in Freelancer or DarkStar One.

*Wishes someone would make a FreeSpace 2 mod for Freelancer.*  Hey, Origin did the same thing with Wing Commander: Privateer and that managed to work.