Author Topic: Starcraft 2 discussion  (Read 46931 times)

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Re: Starcraft 2 Beta is now Live
I remember playing brood war and Duran Duran was there doing some shady ****, cooking up some hybrids for the xel'naga.  I was wondering if we'd get new playable races or interesting plot points out of it.

We got awful plot points out of it.
Spoiler:
Basically the Burning Legion redux, except with a leader called, I **** you not, The Fallen One.

yeah I got to Char so I figure I'm near the end.  I agree this fallen business is fantasy-sounding bull****
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Spoiler:
Well first off, how do you figure he kills Mengsk? He can't do it himself, he can't get Raynor to do it because Findlay is being watched, he can't get Kerrigan to do it, as she'd likely kill him instead. So tell me, how is he going to kill Mengsk, seeing as how he's being watched by Mengsk and Mengsk can kill him at a moment's notice by using Findlay's suit to shut down his major arteries?

Spoiler:
I always love it how writes just gloss over the fact that rebellions tend to bu suspicious, and that nobody question Finley constantly being the armor OR the fact that the armor constantly sends signals god knows where?
Also, I don't recall "shutting down major arteries" bit.
Spoiler:
How are they going to know that his suit is sending signals? If he used the ship, that could be tracked, but from his suit? Unlikely unless someone was looking for the signals.

Also, you need to learn how to spell. :P
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Spoiler:
Well first off, how do you figure he kills Mengsk? He can't do it himself, he can't get Raynor to do it because Findlay is being watched, he can't get Kerrigan to do it, as she'd likely kill him instead. So tell me, how is he going to kill Mengsk, seeing as how he's being watched by Mengsk and Mengsk can kill him at a moment's notice by using Findlay's suit to shut down his major arteries?

Spoiler:
I always love it how writes just gloss over the fact that rebellions tend to bu suspicious, and that nobody question Finley constantly being the armor OR the fact that the armor constantly sends signals god knows where?
Also, I don't recall "shutting down major arteries" bit.
Spoiler:
How are they going to know that his suit is sending signals? If he used the ship, that could be tracked, but from his suit? Unlikely unless someone was looking for the signals.

Oh, I don't know, maybe because a character explicitly tells Raynor that the suit has a deadman's switch and is connected to someone else?

Offline Hades

He was? I didn't recall that. My bad.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
somebody didn't get the "Stay awhile and listen" achievement...
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
After "Engine of Destruction", Matt will tell you he scanned Tychus yada yada yada.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Hades

Err, I never really talked to any of the characters. >_>

I am going back and redoing the campaign and have done this.

I wish I had someone to play with on SC2 multi, however. \
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 06:37:56 pm by Hades »
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Threadsplit or rename plz?

Offline mxlm

A little bit. Not a lot. That's going to be challenging for us to make that transition. But we've done a little bit of thinking about it. I think the biggest challenge for us is we've got so much content that we're so comfortable with here, and the challenge is to really make it feel like a Zerg game. We really want to make sure that, "Hey, I'm sort of playing the villains!" I want to feel that. I want to feel that switch over to the dark side and I want you to feel like, "Dude. This is the bad guy game. Woo! Yeah!" And not feel like it's just a slimy version of the Terran game. So that means the nature of our mission objectives needs to change, the nature of the opponents you're fighting needs to change.

So, yeah. I kinda doubt that
Spoiler:
Kerrigan's going to be a white hat. Maybe grey.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Spoiler:
If she revealed that all of Wings of Liberty was part of her plan...then maybe I'd be okay with the plot. Not the **** writing or the abominable Fallen One, but maybe the plot.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Re: Starcraft 2 discussion
:(

This whole setting is supposed to be grey and black hats.  White hats are dull.

Although I like Raynor for being the single white hat out there.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
After "Engine of Destruction", Matt will tell you he scanned Tychus yada yada yada.

Uh.

No he didn't. Not for me anyways.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
He does tell you. You just missed it. :p

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
He does tell you. You just missed it. :p

No, he told me absolutely nothing. He wasn't even an option for in-depth dialogue. I blame the Buchepalus.

A Feddie Story

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Spoiler:
I honestly think Batt is *****ing for no good reason.  Is it campy?  Yeah.  Is it formulaic?  Yeah.  But all the bad points are outweighed by the fact that it's executed with such style that the camp and formula play into making it great.  BTW, what's with Sarah keeping her tendrils instead of getting her hair back.  I think she's still in charge of the Swarm somehow.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Spoiler:
I honestly think Batt is *****ing for no good reason.  Is it campy?  Yeah.  Is it formulaic?  Yeah.  But all the bad points are outweighed by the fact that it's executed with such style that the camp and formula play into making it great.  BTW, what's with Sarah keeping her tendrils instead of getting her hair back.  I think she's still in charge of the Swarm somehow.

It's executed with such bumbling idiocy that I half suspect it was written by a hired committee. There were a couple moments of cutscene direction that had me grinning or chuckling, but you can't ignore the atrocious dialogue, meaningless characters (let me in, Jim...), and the gaping, gaping plot holes.

The only thing great about Starcraft 2's single player is the mission design and metagame...and even those are ridiculously polished pieces of dull quartz, excellence built on stale mechanics.

The multi on the other hand is surprisingly fresh and ingenious.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
The thing that really gets me is the poor quality of the Hyperion-side animation.

Spoiler:
I couldn't take infested Hanson seriously, for example, she was just incredibly poorly animated. So was Raynor in armor. It destroyed the scene. And every time I have to look at Matt's face I keep wondering why there's a low-rez Kaiden Alenko on my ship.

A Feddie Story

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Spoiler:

It's executed with such bumbling idiocy that I half suspect it was written by a hired committee. There were a couple moments of cutscene direction that had me grinning or chuckling, but you can't ignore the atrocious dialogue, meaningless characters (let me in, Jim...), and the gaping, gaping plot holes.

The only thing great about Starcraft 2's single player is the mission design and metagame...and even those are ridiculously polished pieces of dull quartz, excellence built on stale mechanics.

The multi on the other hand is surprisingly fresh and ingenious.

See if you had a dog, s/he would do their utmost to provide love and support during your dejected misery, unlike a cat who will apathetically frown upon your mental weakness.

just kidding hopefully the cat won't consider it to much of a loss of face to still associate with you

Silly pet thread spill over aside, this is pretty much a downer.  The reason I was intrigued with this game certainly wasn't the multi, I was hoping the campaign story was going to be compelling.  Though I suppose I can stay sixty bucks richer for it.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Look, if you don't care much about the Starcraft universe, or if you weren't really attached to Brood War as a childhood experience and a milestone in dark, complex, betrayal-and-intrigue game storytelling (somewhat), you could probably have fun with the Starcraft 2 single player campaign. It has fun mission designs, the last mission was pretty fun, and the ending won't drive you to SON I AM DISAPPOINT levels of contempt like it did me.\\

The thing that really gets me is the poor quality of the Hyperion-side animation.

Spoiler:
I couldn't take infested Hanson seriously, for example, she was just incredibly poorly animated. So was Raynor in armor. It destroyed the scene. And every time I have to look at Matt's face I keep wondering why there's a low-rez Kaiden Alenko on my ship.

Huh, those actually didn't bother me that much. I was generally, though not universally impressed by the animation.
Spoiler:
Though I was annoyed by the horrible...wait I don't know if you've gotten this far, but the scene at the Mobius rendezvous, which made a) no sense and b) seriously, Marine combat armor sucks THAT much?

Also, not a spoiler for you I think:

Spoiler:
Thank **** you saw Infested Hanson. Guess what happens on the other path? She cures the Zerg virus. Yeah, she miraculously cures it when all the might of the Protoss couldn't and didn't. **** that.

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Spoiler:
Thank **** you saw Infested Hanson. Guess what happens on the other path? She cures the Zerg virus. Yeah, she miraculously cures it when all the might of the Protoss couldn't and didn't. **** that.
Spoiler:
Where does it say that she actually cured it?  She appeared to just embark on an impossible task with the determination of a shounen anime main character, but not actually succeed (yet).