Author Topic: STARCRAFT II  (Read 2701 times)

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
So, i should have posted this here at the beginning of this year, but just now thought about it.

Who here plays SC2? :)

I've played SC1 (in fact, starcraft, back in 2002 or so) was the game that pulled me from Freespace in the first place :)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I play it sometimes.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
occasionally and when I do, its mostly customs, play infrequently and poorly on ladder (bronze, pretty low win/loss, compounded by the fact that I'm always worrying about the cheese)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i got sc1 the year it came out. i didnt like the game much since it didnt make use of the voodoo card i had at the time. but it kinda grew on me.

i play sc2 on and off. i usually play 4v4 and im near the top of the bronze league.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Not multiplayer, but I enjoyed the single player campaign immensely.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Liked the single player level design but detested the story and the writing was truly atrocious. Played MP for a month but the sheer bipolarity of the stress/rush payoff was enough to set me off it.

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
I thought the campaign was great; better than SC1 i think.

I'm diamond in all 4 divisions, but these days i play FFAs a lot (unranked, and a lot more fun)

I would, except every time I touch multiplayer I lose horribly in the first few minutes to rush, or if I'm lucky I get to keep playing and lose soon after I get Thors out.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I would, except every time I touch multiplayer I lose horribly in the first few minutes to rush, or if I'm lucky I get to keep playing and lose soon after I get Thors out.

Scout. Learn some opening build orders. I gave up after a month because I hated the stress, but if you want to get into it, you'll have to work at it.

And seriously, scout! Most important thing in the early game (as well as keeping up your worker pump.)

Let me put it this way: I suck.  I simply lack the multi-tasking needed to play SC2 effectively.  It isn't the attention span, it is that I get too focused on one single thing and forget the rest.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah, the frustrating thing about SC2 is that you're always tasked to capacity, and expanding that capacity is the only way to get better. You have to learn how to do everything at once while also knowing what your opponent is doing and staying ahead of them.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
ive gotten pretty good at executing a perfect 7 pool. i usually rush till it looses its effectiveness, then switch up to either hydras, mutas, corruptors and broodlords (i usually send them in half and half, and once air units are handled i morph the other corruptors near the base im attacking), or some combination of them. i usually do well in equally matched games.

i also play protoss, but im really horrible at terran. i dont thing ive won a single game as terran yet.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
ive gotten pretty good at executing a perfect 7 pool. i usually rush till it looses its effectiveness, then switch up to either hydras, mutas, corruptors and broodlords (i usually send them in half and half, and once air units are handled i morph the other corruptors near the base im attacking), or some combination of them. i usually do well in equally matched games.

i also play protoss, but im really horrible at terran. i dont thing ive won a single game as terran yet.
I often end up transitioning into "losing my whole ****ing base" when I try to cheese/rush.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I have it but haven't played much since the uni term started :<
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Been playing on and off. More and more party arranged games rather than just on my own. Party games are so much more fun! Diamond in 3v3 and gold through bronze in other leagues. Depends often on the strength or weakness of your allies in the 3v3 and 4v4 games... Harder to make up for the silly stuff (like walking your marines into siege tanks and just continuing to send them in).
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me

i dont use cheese tactics with protoss. your better off building defences and/or units asap. but the thing about rushing is that after 2 or 3 waves, you need to stop and move to bigger units. you can work on your base while your zerglings are on their way to the target. i usually use the following build order in my typical 7pool:

drone
pool
drone
overlord
6zerglings
queen
2 drones

usually around this time my zerglings have gotten to the target (i send em off as soon as they hatch). next factor in a successful rush is finding an easy target. the closest base is your best bet to catch off guard. if i encounter a wall i usually skip to the next ramp. if theres noone shooting at you and you got some zergling teammates who are also rushing you can try to break down the wall. and focus on supply depots, attacking terran workers is very hazardous to the health of a zergling. protoss however have very easy workers to kill, and thats what you target, then hit pylons. if you encounter resistance at all bases, your best bet is to run the zerglings around to scout, killing targets of opportunity (lone zelots, marines, and workers), then immediately move up to advanced units.

thing is when youre at the end of the rush, its the time when your terran and protoss teammates (and zerg players who chose not to rush) begin their initial attacks. if you did your job right, the enemy should have fewer units and weaker perimeters. there should be enough going on at this point to distract everyone from what youre doing. you need to build up youre base and workers, expand if possible. if i need units asap i usually go with hydras, but if im in a good spot, and i havent been discovered, il put in the spire and go with mutas or push for brood lords and corruptors.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'd love to give the Starcraft games a try, but I feel like they'd be rather frustrating to me, as they seem to run contrary to my usual strategy in the RTS games I've played (primarily Age of Empires/Mythology).  I'm a heavy turtler, and I derive the most pleasure from building up a big unassailable fortress with walls all over the place and watching the enemy break upon it.  From what I've seen, SC is all about crazy offensive tactics, so I'd probably get my ass kicked. :p

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
You can't turtle because you'll give up map control and starve to death. Expansion and map control are pretty key.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
starcraft 2 multiplayer taxes every skill i have as a gamer. you have to be insanely fast. and there are just so many people who are really good at it. i have a hard enough time staying at the top of the bronze league.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
even though the core game is hard as hell, the customs are so awesome.
just saw a video on star battle a custom game where you get one capital spaceship, its 6v6, and you try to kill the enemy fleet/base, get money for upgrades by killing fighters/capital ships..so awesome looking with the scaling of fighters and ships, and the abilities.