Author Topic: Call of Duty... Medieval?  (Read 2424 times)

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Call of Duty... Medieval?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBs2WzpzXyg

Chivalry: Medieval Combat, from what I've seen seems like an interesting game. What do you guys think?

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
Re: Call of Duty... Medieval?
isn't mount and blade good enough?
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

I'm wayyyy ahead of you. Pledged during the kickstarter.

isn't mount and blade good enough?

It's different. This is a game focused on the mechanics of beating and slicing your opponents to bits. And the graphics are much better.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Dare I say, this looks kinda fun.
I'll go check it out once it becomes available
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
This looks substantially entertaining.  Reminds me of a bit of an ancient Interplay-published game called Die by the Sword.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
in the meantime War of the Roses is I belive available which iirc looks to be a slightly more serious (in some ways) take on the same theme
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Chivalry looks quite fun actuallly. In War of Roses the hits do not seem so brutal and leathal (according to the videos I've seen, could be otherwise when one plays it), but they do seem to do some serious damage in this one.
Habeeb it...

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Mount and Blade as well as War of the Roses are very much skill-based, at least with respect to twitch-based combat. You'd have to play one or the other to fully understand.

This is definately your older-fashioned, press-button-to-swing-sword game, and you're not left to thinking about how you need to swing that sword to beat your adversary. That's not necessarily a bad thing at all, but I'd not resort to just passing off M&B or WotR as inferior just because the animations for the deaths of your foes are not as good.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Yea I'm not claiming that M&B or WotR are any inferior, if my post seemed so then I'd like to correct that. They have slightly different atmosphere that's all.
I can imagine that getting deeper into the WotR for example can be more rewarding, because then one learns to handle the weapons more skillfully, but if one is looking more instant brutal medieval action Chivalry looks more promising.
Habeeb it...

I'm a bit leery of the projectile mechanics displayed there; no hitscan means ranged classes are going to suffer very heavily from lag.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

This is definately your older-fashioned, press-button-to-swing-sword game, and you're not left to thinking about how you need to swing that sword to beat your adversary. That's not necessarily a bad thing at all, but I'd not resort to just passing off M&B or WotR as inferior just because the animations for the deaths of your foes are not as good.

If anybody is still wondering how the game actually plays, it's pretty good.

If you're expecting this to be more "Oblivion" than "Mount & Blade", it's actually the reverse. The combat system is almost identical in theory to that of Mount & Blade, with the different attack directions and blocks, and even has a kick/bash move (that I can't get to work right).

It definitely relies heavily on skill - anticipating your opponent's attacks and blocks, and countering them, and trying not to get surrounded while surrounding your enemies.

Here! I made a video overview of the different classes and how the combat looks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAfR7rEkWaE

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
If anybody is still wondering how the game actually plays, it's pretty good.

If you're expecting this to be more "Oblivion" than "Mount & Blade", it's actually the reverse. The combat system is almost identical in theory to that of Mount & Blade, with the different attack directions and blocks, and even has a kick/bash move (that I can't get to work right).

It definitely relies heavily on skill - anticipating your opponent's attacks and blocks, and countering them, and trying not to get surrounded while surrounding your enemies.

Here! I made a video overview of the different classes and how the combat looks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAfR7rEkWaE

Thanks for that!
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline Mikes

Played this back then as it was still a mod and it was quite fun :)

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
So many things are moving from Mods to stand-alone games recently (or at least things I've bothered to notice). Who wants to bet that the evil corporations will try to get a licence in place that claims some form of ownership of the conceptual property of any mods made for their games?
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
So many things are moving from Mods to stand-alone games recently (or at least things I've bothered to notice). Who wants to bet that the evil corporations will try to get a licence in place that claims some form of ownership of the conceptual property of any mods made for their games?

not favorable odds, no taker here. concept is part of the IP and IP law exists to prevent theft
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline crizza

This game is quite some fun. :D