Author Topic: Crysis is a big fat piece of ****  (Read 12814 times)

Crysis is a big fat piece of ****
Okay.

So I buy this game Crysis, a bit later than most people.
I try to install the thing, it tells me "error 1335: level3.cab is corrupt"

So okay, I check the forums, and lots of people have a similar problem. Seems I have to copy that file to another computer and bring it to my own on a flash drive, and in the meantime copy the entire DVD contents to my computer, then overwrite the offending file and install from my HD. So that's the plan.

So I pop Crysis back into the CD/DVD Rom, now the thing won't even READ the disc. I throw in some other DVDs, it won't read that either. I check the forums, again people have had this same **** problem.

So what, I try a system restore to the time before I got the game. I also try to uninstall my DVD rom drivers and have windows re-install them. NO DICE. This dumb piece of **** ****ing game has apparently made my DVD Rom not read DVDs anymore. There's no other explanation. I barely used my computer all weekend, didn't use any wierd stuff. Didn't visit any websites I don't normally or download anything wierd. Watched some Stargate DVDs right before I bought this game. It can't be just a coincidence that all of the sudden, my DVD rom craps out just as I buy this dumb game. Not likely.

Anyone have a similar experience? And if so did anything help???

This piece of **** game is going back to London Drugs that's for damn sure.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Re: Crysis is a big fat piece of ****
Refund it for sure man, that's absolute ****

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Try booting the computer from a Windows installation CD to see if the drive works. If it can read the CD, then you have a software problem caused by whatever DRM Crysis installed.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Try booting the computer from a Windows installation CD to see if the drive works. If it can read the CD, then you have a software problem caused by whatever DRM Crysis installed.

I'd rather try a Linux live cd just to reduce the risk of accidentally the whole operating system...
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I'm going to guess you meant something along the lines of wiped/resetting, that shouldn't generally happen, I think you should try it

It reads CDs. Or at least when I put a music CD in there I could see all the files on it. I assume I could play them also. It just doesn't read the DVDs. I don't get it. Fakking thing. Man if this problem is permanent I'll be pissed.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Some games refuse to work if you have a drive emulator running ( Daemon tools ), while others refuse to work if a burning software is installed.
Also soft ware like AnyDVD can cause problems.
Check the support if your drive is on the "known" list of drives that won't work with the protection/ DRM of the game.

If i want to play Battlefront II, i have to remove Nero and Daemon tools first. :blah:

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
That's Securom for you. If it thinks that something fishy's going on (which could be pretty much anything) (there's a possibility that) it'll fry your machine. Maybe it's an SCSI drive.

My suggestion, you own the game; .
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Too bad you're having trouble with the game. I love it.

Cole is correct....SecuRom is baaaaaaaad.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
* Androgeos Exeunt glances at the title of this thread.

Most modern games are.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Securom did something similar to my DVD drive, I think I've posted about it before in here:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,60392.0.html

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Get it off Steam.

I gotta warn you, Crysis isn't that great -- all the graphical capabilities are unfortunately built around some moderately uninspiring gameplay (it gets better on Delta, though). Warhead was a moderate step up.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
This is definitely a Securom thing. I was getting the same problem with C&C3 a while ago, and eventually resorted to copying the cab files to another computer and transferring them to my main machine to get the thing installed.

However, it shouldn't affect any other DVDs. If you already have Securom installed from another game, you can try removing it, but it's always the game exes and not the installers that actually put Securom on your system.

I gotta warn you, Crysis isn't that great -- all the graphical capabilities are unfortunately built around some moderately uninspiring gameplay (it gets better on Delta, though). Warhead was a moderate step up.

I liked the game, even leaving aside its graphics. It was a little too easy even on Delta, but it felt fairly open ended (the first half at least) and had good variety in its level design and combat situations, more than most FPSs. Warhead was actually a step backwards in almost every way.

This is definitely a Securom thing. I was getting the same problem with C&C3 a while ago, and eventually resorted to copying the cab files to another computer and transferring them to my main machine to get the thing installed.

However, it shouldn't affect any other DVDs. If you already have Securom installed from another game, you can try removing it, but it's always the game exes and not the installers that actually put Securom on your system.

Well I dunno man. All I know is friday night I watch Stargate DVD on my computer. After that I try to install this game. It says level3.cab is corrupt, so I'm going to do as you say to get it installed. And I do that, but when I go back to install the game it doesn't read at all. This after, not doing ANYTHING with my computer pretty much all weekend. And now it doesn't read Crysis DVD, doesn't read that same Stargate DVD, doesn't read pretty any DVD I've put in there.

My bro gave me an idea for a fix and I'll try it. See what happens.

I tell you one thing though, after having this **** happen likely because of SecuRom, Steam is looking like Mother Theresa.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 01:30:14 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

I liked the game, even leaving aside its graphics. It was a little too easy even on Delta, but it felt fairly open ended (the first half at least) and had good variety in its level design and combat situations, more than most FPSs. Warhead was actually a step backwards in almost every way.

Well, it may be that I detested the second half of Crysis so much that Warhead seemed like a relief...but I agree, it had its faults as well.

I tell you one thing though, after having this **** happen likely because of SecuRom, Steam is looking like Mother Theresa.

The only thing that sucks about steam is that I need a credit card or similar to buy games with it, which all require me my parent's permission or me being 18 years or older. Which I am not... Luckily, all the valve games one can buy in a store already use steam :).

Valve = awesome.

The only thing that sucks about steam is that I need a credit card or similar to buy games with it, which all require me my parent's permission or me being 18 years or older. Which I am not... Luckily, all the valve games one can buy in a store already use steam :).

Valve = awesome.

Um, no. Valve = The Lesser of Two Evils

As for their games, I recently broke my own promise and bought HL2 and the Episode pack because they were only ten bucks. HL2 was a huge dissapointment. It's not even a story, it's an introduction to a story. You play through the whole game without knowing what's actually going on. That's IDIOTIC. How can I get into a game if I don't know the story??? I mean, a person who played HL1 ASSUMES that it's the guys from the other dimension, but then what, you've got previous evil aliens on your side. And all you fight is a bunch of face less marines? Am I fighting aliens? Because all I see to be killing is bunch of humans with no faces. And why does every headcrab zombie look like a scientist? What? They couldn't change the clothes to make it match the civy population?? Everyone's in fatigues anyway. All you do the whole game is kill Marines and Zombies.

The episodes were not bad, I actually enjoyed those. But they're supposed to be "Half Life 3" more/less. If I don't know the story of a game until I play the sequel there's something seriously wrong. And what's gordon's motivation in HL2? "Oh, these cops don't like me. So, I'm going to go and kill about 800 faceless marines and countless other people in some big tower." No one ever tells him what's going on and he's too stupid to ask apparently. I just never connected with the first HL2 game.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I used to hate Steam, but I must admit, it has grown on me over the years, still have reservations though.

I'm still not sure I like the 'umbilical cord' idea of DRM, where you either must have everything installed and never uninstall, or trust Valve to never go out of business.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I luved Crysis. Warhead is a nice expansion, but Crysis has better missions/levels IMHO.

rRy modding the game and making the cloak coast redicolous ammount  of energy. It's fun to sneak areound hte old fashioned way!
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

rRy modding the game and making the cloak coast redicolous ammount  of energy. It's fun to sneak areound hte old fashioned way!

I wanted to play Crysis because Far Cry 1 was so fakking awesome and FC2 sounds like a pile of poop. But alas, Crysis instead has done nothing but piss me off.