Author Topic: War in Heaven Preview 3  (Read 15771 times)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Re: War in Heaven Preview 3
In response to the inevitable "Omg me want beta test too!" (noone in particular)
BP currently has no need for more beta testers, any requests will be rejected. Snail and NGTM-1R were privileged to this as they contributed much to story elements prior to becoming testers. They not only test missions, but perform sanity checks on story and plot.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Beta testing = frequent crashes + freezes?
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Traditionally, beta testing FS2 missions is more about finding the showstopping sexping bugs than it is crashes and freezes.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yep.

Crashes + freezes are produced by code problems, not by mission design, and while BP has driven a couple code changes, it's not running on its own special version of the engine or whatever.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yep. Crashes on a mod or campaign using retail or mediavps data just shouldn't happen. It can get kinda interesting when you're using custom models, though.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Will WiH have speech upon its release? Or will it be released without speech, with a voice acted version coming along later?

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
WiH has way too much dialogue to make it even remotely possible to have voice acting in the initial release. In fact, there is so much dialogue it remains to be seen whether it can be voice acted at all within reasonable time.

Offline Thadeus

Good thing I read fast.
*kills topic*

Been waiting on this since it was announced... the previews make me want it even more.

Please finish before the year is over?  :nod:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Tall order, my friend.

Remember, work on this iteration of the campaign really only started in June. We've made pretty startling progress in the past five months, because we have a team now. We have a complete modpack, more ships than we need, lovely tables and weapons, and a complete and detailed knowledge of what will happen. We're just FREDding as hard as we can for now.

The previous version of the War in Heaven campaign was good (I played it!) but Darius felt he could do better with a team.

Aww.
That's ok, I geuss. I have plenty 2 keep me busy...  ;)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Aww.
That's ok, I geuss. I have plenty 2 keep me busy...  ;)
Trust me, it's worth the wait. :nod:

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
I'm just glad there's real evidence that it's all getting done. The Blue Planet team seems to be a rather well oiled machine :p
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah, as a fan, I know that that evidence is important for patience.

We continue to meet regularly, and as our beta testers can attest, we have indeed completed some fun missions. Nobody shows signs of dropping out due to Real Life (in fact, I can't imagine getting any busier!)

Darius' summer break is coming up, which bodes well. Every time one of our members gets some spare time we seem to go back into Mean Blue Machine mode.

It's frustrating not to be able to talk about the plot with the community right now. It's exciting stuff.

Offline -Norbert-

Seeing (and taking part in) the discussions about the proses, I'm really looking forward to discussing the actual story too :D

Offline Snail

• SC 5
It's frustrating not to be able to talk about the plot with the community right now. It's exciting stuff.
I'll say.

More prose always makes the wait more bearable.  :P