Author Topic: Changes for War in Heaven Director's Cut  (Read 18221 times)

Offline ION3

Re: Changes for War in Heaven Director's Cut
You could include subspace drive failures on some of the enemy warships.

Edit: I think (but i'm not sure) that the weapon effects kill my framerate in big battles. Maybe they could be toned down on the lower detail settings? (reducing flak explosion duration might be a good idea)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 03:35:11 am by ION3 »

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Edit: I think (but i'm not sure) that the weapon effects kill my framerate in big battles. Maybe they could be toned down on the lower detail settings? (reducing flak explosion duration might be a good idea)
Are you using MV_Advanced and/or bp2-adv-visuals? If yes, delete those and check framerates again. If that doesn't help, you must have really old PC or one with intel integrated graphics.

Please note anything, major or minor, that needs to be tweaked for the WiH director's cut. I'll make a list here in the first post.
IMO this topic is a bit misleading. First, all issues that has been mentioned should be fixed through normal updates. If not sooner, they should be fixed in R2, since both R1 and R2 should share same vp-files anyway. Updating sooner wouldn't be a big deal either, as the Core is really small.

Second, I'm unsure if voice-acted WiH should be called Director's Cut. AoA was called such because it was a massive overhaul, voice-acting or not. In fact, in WiH's case adding voice-acting only requires one new vp-file, audio2 and update to Core where missions updated with voice files would be. I don't mind if voice-acted releases are labeled as Director's Cut, just wanted to point out that voice-acting wasn't the only reason why AoA re-release was called Director's Cut.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 04:13:55 am by Fury »

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
lolz I found a problem... sort of. Not entirely if only happens for me.
In the mission Ken, the whole creepy pych-evaluation mission (if it can be called that) you can order Alpha 2 to depart... or anything else you want him to do. Doesn't effect the mission in any way though.

Why? You're angry that ship captains acted realistically and actually ran away when faced with overwhelming force rather than just sit there and die? How about instead of telling them to program in a subspace drive failure how about YOU make that subspace drive failure really happen and destroy their engines!

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Then explain to us why the enemy shouldn't suffer component failures of any kind then.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
While subspace drive failures may well occur, Alliance warships keep their drives in tip-top shape for eventualities just like this. Each warship carries thousands of highly trained crewmembers, and no captain would allow his ship to fall to a wing of errant bombers when he could jump clear.

The best way to cause a subspace drive failure is to shoot out the ship's engines.  ;)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Yeah, I don't have a problem stripping everything off a ship until it's just a chunk of metal to shoot at.

The best way to cause a subspace drive failure is to shoot out the ship's engines.  ;)
Unless they're the Serkr team and that last invincible 19% of their engines laughs at your futile attempts to Paveway them.

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
I almost cried when I saw those immovable 19% on this damn Serkr-Corvette (I decided to scream in agony instead).
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Serkr team is a main character. They'll die, or will not, when the story-tellers are good and ready.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Yeah, Serkr has plot armour, just like Steele.

And, this:

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned prieviously, but it's probably better to mention twice than not at all.

If you kill the hostage in "For the wrong reasons" after the Gef forces have been routed, then the messages played are the same as those that would be if you killed them during the stand-off.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline FIZ

Delenda Est... Failure debriefing if Altan Orde is destroyed... under recommendations typo last sentence... toher should be other.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I remember telling you this on IRC promptly before my connection cut out, but did anyone replace the use of 'tally' in the first mission with something appropriate? Tally is only for hostiles, and visual is to be used for friendly vessels - you can't have a tally on four friendly freighters. :P

Offline -Sara-

The Solaris destroyer taxis ships out of a closed hull (the front). Sometimes this makes fighters get stuck or they take a long time to leave a Solaris. fidgeting until they find a non-clipping path out.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I remember telling you this on IRC promptly before my connection cut out, but did anyone replace the use of 'tally' in the first mission with something appropriate? Tally is only for hostiles, and visual is to be used for friendly vessels - you can't have a tally on four friendly freighters. :P
Spoiler:
Who gives a ****? :p
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
You're talking about a mod that has more accurate pilot slang than most movies - someone there must obviously give a ****! :P

Spoiler:
Pointing this crap out and discussing the correct implementation of that kind of slang and brevity code to add immersion is also part of what I do for the team, when I actually drop by.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I'll post (as I mentioned to Battuta on IRC earlier) that the blue beam blow, both animated and non-animated, have this weird edging issue where what should be black is not completely and is very visible in-game.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline ION3

Why?

While subspace drive failures may well occur, Alliance warships keep their drives in tip-top shape for eventualities just like this. Each warship carries thousands of highly trained crewmembers, and no captain would allow his ship to fall to a wing of errant bombers when he could jump clear.

Because you (Batutta) once wrote:

I agree it would've been a good idea to have a previous ship suffer a 'critical hit' of this sort. That's a fair point.

Which was an answer to this: (by Akalabeth Angel)

-The Yangtzee's jump drives failing-
I don't have a problem with a damaged ship not having it's drives working. That's fine and makes sense to me. But the precedence from all of the preceeding missions are that damaged ships can jump out so long as their drives are recharged. So you have 30 or so ships jump out no problem, and then at the most critical moment, a story-centric ship can't jump. You've established one precedence, and then contradicted it for the sake of the story. If previously you had other ships unable to jump due to damage it would set the precedence that most ships make it out, but sometimes they simply can't.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Lila Zhiyan as a surname doesn't make any sense, assuming it's Chinese. At least, in the 21st century. Nitpicking.

Offline Useful Dave

• I'm Useful
If a place to actually have a jump drive fail is required, might I suggest the Valerie from Darkest Hour?

Simply have some of the initial salvoes landed by the Indus result in her being unable to jump to subspace, explained off by a slight change to the dialogue which is already in place.