Author Topic: FSPort 3.2 Interface Upgrades  (Read 11711 times)

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
FSPort 3.2 Interface Upgrades
Right. So you all know our work with FSPort will never be finished until almost nothing of FS2 remains, yes? Here is a look into this neverending quest.

On my side of things, we have the briefing icons. Here, where I work with Galemp's godly standards, I complete these, slowly but surely.

Aten:

And the Chronos (yes I know it says Valkyrie class :P):

Next up is Galemp with his weapon icons and maybe something even more awesome.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: FSPort 3.2 Interface Upgrades
Ooh, win.  I've missed those things. :)

Offline Narvi

Awesomecakes. I've never played FS: were the original similar in style or were they less detailed?

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Awesomecakes. I've never played FS: were the original similar in style or were they less detailed?
Go play Freespace 1 to find out for yourself. :P

Spoiler:
Fighters were triangles and capital ships were sort of an orion-shaped icon

No really, go play Freespace 1.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
And now on my end of things: weapon interfaces. Here's a gallery of all the new weapon art you'll have, all animated in the FS1 style. All these weapons are already tabled, some are used in ST:R and the Blaise Russel campaigns, but none had proper art until now. This upgrade also includes models for the missiles, including high-detail Tech models for those who prefer their weapon selection in 3D.

Akheton SDG and Prometheus R, to make their debut in Operation Templar.

VLL-9 Laser, Fang dumbfire missiles, Havoc cluster bomb, and the Barracuda light bomb, used by the Vasudans during the Fourteen Year War.

GTI prototype weapons, the high-accuracy Railgun, the Shivan-derived UD-1 Volz, and the Serkr torpedo.

Finally, all the weapon icons have been redone from scratch; brightness, contrast, and alignment have all been greatly improved, with new icons of course for the new weapons.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Okay apparently there was some paletting issues with the background bitmap on these animations--I didn't see it in game but on this monitor the black is dark green. I'll fix that right away.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Oh wow - I didn't know you'd modeled the primary weapons too! Very nice indeed. :D
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Snail

• SC 5
You people are amazing...

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 10:49:28 am by Cobra »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Snail

• SC 5
LE FUUUU---

Damnit that is some hot ****ing sex right there sweet jesus

Awe. Some. *drools*

Though why didn't you use the FS2 cbani resolution?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
So they match the others. I thought about it, really, I did, but it throws the whole composition off.

Offline Kolgena

Oh! Weapon icons are redone! Does that mean that my harbinger no longer looks like a cone with no engine when not selected? :D

And uh. Hot damn.

(Minor suggestion: black out cockpits in the briefing screen ship details. The rest of the game does it, so why not there as well for consistency?)

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
(Minor suggestion: black out cockpits in the briefing screen ship details. The rest of the game does it, so why not there as well for consistency?)

Trust me, with people like Goob and Galemp on FSport, it would have been brought up already if they saw a reason to do it. ;)

But I personally don't see any reason to do that. The way I see it we'd have to edit model info and make new table entries, then go through every mission and edit the icons to use the blacked out glass models, unless SCP made a feature that would cause the briefing screen to ignore the glass texture or something.

And yes, your Harbinger has an engine now. ;)

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
One thing I've been lobbying for, which I already use in Twist of Fate, and of which I think I've actually submitted working versions to FSU several times without it being implemented, is smoked glass. You can still see into the cockpit, but it's much darker. Totally clear glass is awful, it doesn't provide any definition to the cockpit and looks like plastic.

They didn't even use the awesome cubemaps I made for them either...:hopping:
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Snail

• SC 5
One thing I've been lobbying for, which I already use in Twist of Fate, and of which I think I've actually submitted working versions to FSU several times without it being implemented, is smoked glass. You can still see into the cockpit, but it's much darker. Totally clear glass is awful, it doesn't provide any definition to the cockpit and looks like plastic.

They didn't even use the awesome cubemaps I made for them either...:hopping:
I agree on both counts. Even the Erinyes' and Ares' yellow glass cockpits look somewhat more believable. And the current cubemap appears to be some random nebula... Yuck...

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Oooh how dare us! Clearly we're trying to sabotage the whole look of the game for everyone! :p

Seriously I don't remember any such submissions, and can't seem to find anything now though that's quite possibly the search function having amnesia. Post it again and I'll take a look.

And why on earth are you both complaining about the cubemap? You only see the cubemap in the techroom and lab!
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
OK, here you go. I've attached both my cubemap and my glass texture.

I definitely remember at least posting the cubemap, so it must have been swallowed by the forum search memory hole.

[attachment deleted by MSC
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Awesome thanks, at first glance it does look better. I'm a little busy to be more thorough or finalise it right now but they will almost certainly be in the patch. :)
Twisted Infinities