Author Topic: RELEASE: Ancient-Shivan War, Act I  (Read 101873 times)

Re: RELEASE: Ancient-Shivan War, Act I
Strange that the Ancients don't try to use shield tech or steal it. Even lesser races use it.
The fact it is a technology developed by lesser races is probably why they don't use it.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Strange that the Ancients don't try to use shield tech or steal it. Even lesser races use it.
The fact it is a technology developed by lesser races is probably why they don't use it.

Same thing goes for the beam technology. The Ancients could have learned a great deal by learning how the Aesdherians' shield systems and beam weapons work.

Androgeos Exeunt: You said that the Ancients could stand to learn from the Aesdherians. What did they stand to learn from them? Beam weapons? Energy shields?

FreeSpaceFreak: If they had learnt about the Aesdherian beam cannons, they would now have been able to attack the Lucifer. Sure, it would still have been hard, but at least it could be killed. Now, they've signed their own death warrant

Androgeos Exeunt: Heheh ... and so it was. How widespread is the arrogance of the Ancients? Are they still arrogant, even when they know they're losing?

Stormkeeper: Very widespread. That's judging from my FREDing instructions, anyway.

FreeSpaceFreak: You'll see. Of course, in the face of extinction, no-one can stay that arrogant. But that's not until later acts.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 10:54:00 pm by High Max »
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Badges are only given out for Campaigns and projects that are hosted here. ASW is hosted on SectorGame, so no HLP badges for them (Unless some Admin feels like they should get one).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 10:54:11 pm by High Max »

Well, jump nodes are just elements projected on your HUD, indicating that there is a jump node there. There's not an actual wireframe floating around in space :P
The GTVA always uses green wireframes, but the Ancient Empire designates colours to them, indicating whether or not the node is under the Empire's control.

Hello, FSF. Congratulations to you and your team mates for this beautyful campaign. But, if you let me be a little SoaB ;), i would like to make you a few questions:

Why the Ancients have to use human words to assign names, words like Shivan, Crete, Knossos and others? They are not human. As a "superior" species, why using inferior words like those?
Working on the Freespace 2 spanish translation. In case you want to play the game in castillian, click here. You'll need some spanish there, though, sorry :p

If you want your mod/campaign translated to spanish, please PM me or send me an e-mail message.

I could translate from spanish to english too, if you want, but it wouldn't be perfect, not at all. For spanish->english translations comes better an english native with spanish knowledge.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
You are seeing the campaign through the eyes of a Vasudan researcher late in the great war (after the Terrans and Vasudans allied).
Which is why the naming convention follows the GTVA's Minoan naming convention for the Ancients, and why the Ancients are referred to as...well, the Ancients.

This is shown in the opening cinematic (if you didn't skip it and heard the narration)
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Oops. It is my ears aren't used to spoken English and I can't understand the cinematics. Is there anyway or anywhere to get subtitles?  :nervous:
Working on the Freespace 2 spanish translation. In case you want to play the game in castillian, click here. You'll need some spanish there, though, sorry :p

If you want your mod/campaign translated to spanish, please PM me or send me an e-mail message.

I could translate from spanish to english too, if you want, but it wouldn't be perfect, not at all. For spanish->english translations comes better an english native with spanish knowledge.

Offline Droid803

Altair

Personal diary of Khor-tu-khet, stranded on Altair IV.
The Shivans have attacked and destroyed our outpost. With only very little cover available - we were a civilian research station after all - we started evacuating as soon as they jumped in. But it was no use. We, and Rho wing covering us, were the only ones that could make it out. The others either fell to the Shivans, or died when the station's reactor exploded.

We headed for Altair IV, an uncharted planet. Although our escape pods are not meant for atmospheric flight, they should - in theory - be able to withstand a forced landing. We wanted to get out of space as soon as possible, so the Shivans wouldn't follow us.

To us, it has been painfully proven that theory is just that, theory. During the descent, our pod became so hot that water would evaporate inside it, and it shook so violently that we didn't know when it had touched the ground. None of us came out unbruised, but luckily we were still alive.

While exploring the area and looking for the fighters - they had landed at a safe distance away from us - we found a cave. It looked like a good place for shelter. It turned out to be an incredible discovery...

Of course we knew that there had been species before our own, but we had never found any traces of them. This discovery was more than we could ever have dreamt of... It seemed as if they had come back to life.
(´・ω・`)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Oops. It is my ears aren't used to spoken English and I can't understand the cinematics. Is there anyway or anywhere to get subtitles?  :nervous:

I can't understand the cinematics and I'm a native speaker.

Offline Droid803

Well, there's what is being said.

Also now on the wiki:

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Ancient-Shivan_War_%28campaign%29#Introductory_Cutscene

FSF, please point out if you changed anything since this version :P
(´・ω・`)

Hehe. Just added it? That's why I didn't find anything when I searched last week. Thak you, man.

You are seeing the campaign through the eyes of a Vasudan researcher late in the great war (after the Terrans and Vasudans allied).
Which is why the naming convention follows the GTVA's Minoan naming convention for the Ancients, and why the Ancients are referred to as...well, the Ancients.

So, while we are playing the campaign, we are seeing it through the scientist's eyes, and not through an Ancient pilot's ones? They are something like watching a record or reading a datapad from that pilot?

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 10:54:46 pm by High Max »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Why the Ancients have to use human words to assign names, words like Shivan, Crete, Knossos and others? They are not human. As a "superior" species, why using inferior words like those?
It is probably so the player can better understand that they are the same objects as in the canon FS and also so some players don't wonder why the names are changed and end up thinking that they are different classes that look alike or have different specs than the same objects in FS. This way, you don't have players asking if there is a difference between the canon objects and these, since there is no big difference and weaponry is likely the only difference. Also, it is easier for the designers not to change existing names and explain why, and just leave them as is.

Or, as was explained just a few posts before this one, you are seeing the campaign through the eyes of a researcher, and the translation convention is in full effect. Pls to read thread b4 posting, kthnx.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 10:54:58 pm by High Max »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Though it makes less sense in Star Trek when you see the Federation encounter a race for the first time and this unknown race speaks English. Like the first encounter with the Farangies, for example. Story-wise, that makes no sense.
The Star Trek universe has a certain little thingy called the Universal Translator, which is essentially the in-universe explanation for why everyone can understand each other.

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 10:55:25 pm by High Max »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Nope to the first question, and yep to the second.  But I suggest that we not derail the thread any further with references to other sci-fi properties.

(Hee, we're in there too.)

The in-game cutscenes now have subtitles; I'll see what I can do about the intro cutscene...
As for the naming conventions; they're there for the same reason that everything is in English :P

For these situations, it's always hard to draw the line. What do you translate, what not... You have to make a compromise somewhere, and it's impossible to make everyone happy by doing so.