Author Topic: Maya as ship modding tool?  (Read 8179 times)

Offline Water

Re: Maya as ship modding tool?
what I did was "combine" the two objects, and basically did a lot of snapping of vertices to other vertices
Depending on the object, just combining them without merging vertices will be a lot faster. Joining some mesh pieces together at the vertex level can result in large amounts of extra polygons.

what I did was "combine" the two objects, and basically did a lot of snapping of vertices to other vertices
Depending on the object, just combining them without merging vertices will be a lot faster. Joining some mesh pieces together at the vertex level can result in large amounts of extra polygons.

Yeah, it did. Then I had to go back in and delete all the crap I used to merge it and basically re-polygon up that area so it was a bit more efficient. It was one object, so I assume it would need to be physically merged but maybe not. Eitehr way it's probably bad to have objects crashing through one-another.

Offline Water

Eitehr way it's probably bad to have objects crashing through one-another.
Well turret arms in FS work that way in retail, plus most of the rotating items.

If you look at the MVP Fenris - most of the greebles on the side are not physically connected to the main mesh but are still part of it. PCS2 is also quite happy to convert a bunch of mesh items from one TS group, into a single object. So you do have some choice in how you use it.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
It was one object, so I assume it would need to be physically merged but maybe not. Eitehr way it's probably bad to have objects crashing through one-another.
Not quite. :)
As Water says - PCS2 and FS can handle intersections just fine, but you must be careful in how you use them. This is because if you build a ship shape out of loads of much simpler parts that all intersect, then you also get:
1) Massive waste of texture space if you have geometry inside other geometry,
2) A much more difficult mesh to work with in the modelling app,
3) A much harder job bug hunting when much more frequent errors occur,
4) Very tricky UVing processes,
5) Depending on the model, a far more tedious debris and LODding process.

I have found that the best approach is to build the core hull as one object, then detail it up with greebles that are a part of the same object but NOT connected to the actual hull. This makes the mesh easy to work with during modelling and texturing, has no wasted texture space, and also makes it easy later on if you want to make the greebles use detail boxes etc.

PCS2 is also quite happy to convert a bunch of mesh items from one TS group, into a single object. So you do have some choice in how you use it.
Hmm, it can yes - but I've seen doing just that destabilise a mesh for no apparent reason, so it's generally better to avoid it.
It is handy for making glass canopies though - since you can easily ensure the polygons of the glass come last on the list. :)

Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Water

Hmm, it can yes - but I've seen doing just that destabilise a mesh for no apparent reason, so it's generally better to avoid it.
Current or old versions? Your meshes or reconversions? I'm interested because I rely on PCS2 to join multiple materials due to the current Blender exporter limitation.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
You know, I can't remember exactly. :\
I know it wasn't with my stuff and I think they were UV mapped, but I do remember that PCS1 would hang indefinitely on these models, even when the only subobjects in the scene were those making up the hull shape.

I would get them into Blender, join all the separate objects that formed the hull into one mesh and get it back into TS where it would convert just fine with no other changes.

Still got no idea how that would fix it, or even how it was causing problems in the first place - it just went on my 'avoid doing' list.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Water

Still got no idea how that would fix it, or even how it was causing problems in the first place - it just went on my 'avoid doing' list.
Cool - You had me worried for a bit.  :cool:

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
I'd say it's still something to watch out for, though with the infinite-loop-causing logic hole plugged in the next PCS2 build it should be much less of an issue in future. :)
Twisted Infinities

Hmmn, well for fighters I might go the mostly "all one object route". I'm a glutton for punishment when it's doing things the easy way or the hard way.

Though, just realized after the fact that it was really good to ask because I just did a fighter: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,51903.msg1096141.html#msg1096141 and it's got some damn asymetrical gun on the fuselage and I thought I'd have to like, UVMap one side except the gun, then mirror geometry (which also mirrors the map), then delete the gun from the other side, and UV map that side and the gun. Which would've been a royal pain in the ass.

I think instead i'll just take a page from some responses in here and cut the gun off, and just combine it to the gunless fuselage so I don't have to do any more painful UVMapping than necessary.

Another question which is not deserving of it's own thread.

When a subobject has a debris form, does the polycount of this second state impact the game's performance? Ie, the Faustus has a good radar and a busted radar. Does the game render both even when it's not destroyed sorta thing?

Offline Water

Another question which is not deserving of it's own thread.

When a subobject has a debris form, does the polycount of this second state impact the game's performance? Ie, the Faustus has a good radar and a busted radar. Does the game render both even when it's not destroyed sorta thing?
Yes, but the answer really depends on the vid card. Mostly the number of polys won't be an issue. Are they both in memory? probably.

For detail boxes, the hi and lo version are both on screen even though one is invisable. Both have collision detection and can be shot at.