Author Topic: Sins of a Solar Empire FreeSpace Mod Project  (Read 19722 times)

Re: Sins of a Solar Empire FreeSpace Mod Project
Pretty  :)
Guess its finally time to beat my Sins into recognizing my mod directory so I can play them.
'yo my domestic skillets, who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?'
~Nighteyes

I didn't know there was a thread over here. Yeah, the old FS2 Mod Project forums have been dead for quite some. The original people involved seemed to have disappeared off the face of the earth. MidnightJoker and myself have taken over (in case you haven't been to the ModDB page), and are working at getting an FS2 version out. Once the FS2 version is out, I'm going to at least look at the possibility of combining both eras and possibly adding some non-cannon ships and structures (I don't know about those yet).

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Raynor + Titan = Win.

:nod:
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
SINS OF A BLUE PLANET

:nervous:

sorry

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
SINS OF A BLUE PLANET
*drool*
Here we go, making them more work.  :P
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It would be sweet to put the BP GTVA and UEF in as factions.

Sure, they could do a post-Capella GTVA.  But do you have any idea how many post-Capella GTVA's there are?  BP has one, Inferno has one, BWO has one, ED has one.  And if they add too much Sins gets unstable and crash-prone.

That being said, Sins of a Blue Planet would simply be awesome.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I wouldn't object to doing one for every post-Capella setting out there; goodness knows the EA or SCP (from BWO) have enough cool ships. But none of those other campaigns have released yet!

Well, you haven't released anything with more than one UEF ship yet.  Until WiH comes out, your UEF are as unreleased as BWO's SCP.  And Inferno did release something, its called INFR1.  So I would put Inferno ahead of BP when it comes to released extra factions.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
No, BP had the Vishnans, remember?

True.  I should have said INFR1 had released a post-Capella Sol faction, and releasing a post-Capella Sol faction is not yet something BP has done.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Um, all the UEF models are pretty easily available, I think, and it's not like they need table entries.  :wtf:

Oh yeah, that's right.  Steve-O already made them, didn't he?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
All of them are easily available?
Aren't some of them super sekret?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Maybe? It's not like any of them are Ours Alone or something. I like to think we try to keep pretty open so that useful things can be used by other mods.

Offline Paulson

Hi,

I have some questions about your project^^
(Excuse me, but I didn't want to read all sites written before at the moment  )

Are you still working on it?
Which races/groups do you plan for the mod?

By the way: I were really happy when I found your project here (thanks to google and you^^).
I play Freespace with pleasure since a few years and in my personal opinion its one of the best games ever
So I watch sometimes out for new campaignes and mods for Freespace itself and for Freespace mods for other games.

I personally had already tought about modding my own freespace mod for SOASE or EaW, but i came to the conclusion considering to the fact it would be my first mod it wouldn't be a very good mod^^
(Yeah it must be perfect^^ With anything else I wouldn't be satisfied. It's maybe typical for a german like me^^)

So I hope for a quick answer

Greetings,
Paulson

I too, was excited about this concept.  'Sins' already uses a 3 race system for balancing, and the real time format and jump drive mechanics just screams for a freespace mod - though I disagree with a few posters here, I don't think it's necessary to include non-volition craft unless there are balance issues to be resolved.  Sins has a very symbolic structure to it - most of the ship classes already have a counterpart in one game or the other, no reason to muddy that up by including every craft ever declared 'canon' by the (admittedly discerning and dedicated) HLP community.

Any news? Should we just watch the modDB?  it rarely seems like the best place to go for any particular mod...might this one be the exception?
"Do you plunder?"
"I have been known to plunder..."
"I refer ye t' darkstar one, one o' th' newer big budget spacers - it's lack o' variety were bein' insultin', an' th' mechanics weren't polished at all.  Every time a title like wot comes out, it pushes th' return o' th' space shooter genre further down th' sea." - Talk like a pirate day '09
"Hope for the best, expect the worst." -Heinlein

You should probably just watch the ModDB entry.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Well each faction will need at least an extra station (two shipyards, mining bases, propaganda towers etc) unless you can cull those from game mechanic requirements. I've only ever dabbled in Sins modding but it seems really simple assuming you know how the code is layed out. I can barely remember a time when I didn't know my way round a retail table file.

Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

You need two different shipyards, since frigate/cruisers cannot be built from capital yards and vice-versa.

It is possible to remove metal/crystal extractors, you just have to remove metal/crystal costs from everything so players don't have to use the Black Market to purchase metal/crystal.

They will probably have to use non-canon material for some stuff since the Vasudans and Shivans have no Starbases in canon, and those things are powerful in Entrenchment with lots of support abilities (fighter hangars, preventing loss of planetary control, repair and resupply for nearby ships).  Considering in the FS1 mod even the scout frigates carry fighters, a Starbase will potentially have massive numbers of them, and Entrenchment allows four fighter types per carrier now so an Arcadia could have everything from Perseii to Boanerges backed up by hangar defense structures and their fighters.