Author Topic: Segmentation Fault when trying to Start mission  (Read 5726 times)

Segmentation Fault when trying to Start mission
Hello -

I recently stumbled across FS2 Open after trying to get my old FS2 to run using wine.  (Works with wine, except text is all screwed up - plus, I like running things on Linux w/o any connection to Windoze :) )  At first I tried using the files off my CD's, but I couldn't get it to work, so I triedusing Turey's installer.  I figured a fresh install would be the best way to go.  I let it run overnight and tried it this morning.  Unfortunately, as soon as I try to enter a mission it seg faults.  I tried the debug - the log file says it can't open some tables, etc.  I quickly tried compiling a version from CVS as detailed on the wiki - it runs, but the mouse is slow, no sound, and when I exit, I have to restart my X server because it hangs with a black screen in the game resolution.

My question is - has anyone seen this?  I am not able to get back to my computer until this afternoon, so I can post any files anyone may need by then.  I am running Gentoo kernel 2.6.22-gentoo-r8, XFX nVidia GTS 8800, nvidia drivers on a 1920x1200 display.  I would love to get this working - I played so much freespace in college... *sigh*  I don't mind getting my hands dirty (hence Gentoo), but this is a little out of my realm of experience.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

-C

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Re: Segmentation Fault when trying to Start mission
Make a debug build with this source tarball, run the game until it crashes, then get me your ~/.fs2_open/data/fs2_open.log file.  Whether you upload it to another site, attach it here, or post it here, doesn't really matter (but I did list the options in order of preference ;)).

I still haven't had a chance to sync up all of my code with CVS, and my code tree has a little better debugging info in it.  Hopefully we'll be able to help you get this all sorted out after we have a better of what's going on. :)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
oddly enough i got this last night running on windows, couldn't break into the debugger since i was running full screen though.  i'm running the head branch

edit:

Code: [Select]
control_get_axes_readings()

axis[i] = joy_get_scaled_reading(axes_values[Axis_map_to[i]], Axis_map_to[i]);

i = 6
Axis_map_to[i] = 1540
axes_values[Axis_map_to[i]] = segfault.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 02:34:53 pm by phreak »
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

I built the 3.6.10 tarball you gave me.  To make sure I did everything right:

Code: [Select]
$ ./configure --enable-debug
$ make
$ cp code/fs2_open_d ~/fs2open (my directory for all the FS2 stuff installed by the installer)
$ cd ~/fs2open
$ ./fs2_open_d

It didn't segfault this time, but there was no sound even though sound was enabled.  The version from the installer (which I left in this directory) did have sound.  From the log file it looks as though I may be missing some files.  I thought the installer downloaded everything.  Originally I tried with stuff from the CD's, but that wasn't working and I had time, so I figured a fresh install was best.

Am I doing anything wrong?  I'd like to figure out if this is a problem, or just some stupid mistake of mine (the most likely answer  :cool:).

Attached is my log file.

Thanks!
-C

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
I'm sorry, I forgot about you. :D

Anyway, going over the log the other day I noticed that all of your VP CRCs look good, so it doesn't initially look like VP corruption.  I did notice though, that smarty_fs2.vp has 0 files in it, even though mine has 10.  The CRC code is just a quick scan, for speed reasons, so it can miss certain errors in a VP.  Please post md5sums for each of your VPs for me to double-check that against my own VPs and we'll know for sure whether then is a corrupted VP in there anywhere.

And since OpenAL seemed to get initialized properly, I'm not really sure why sound isn't working.  It could be a corrupted VP issue, but the sound code debug info isn't in your log to determine why if it is even trying to use sounds.  Put the attached debug_filter.cfg file (but uncompress it first) in ~/.fs2_open/data/, run the game again, and then upload the new log.  That should provide more debug info to help figure this problem out.

Thanks!  I'll try it this afternoon after work.   BTW - hope I wasn't being pushy - I really appreciate your help - I just wanna blow stuff up  :D

-C
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 07:33:36 pm by tenspd137 »

Hi -

Here are my md5sums that you asked for:

collin@Krypton ~/fs2open $ md5sum -b *.vp
7c0c9bde55a5ad35ab1bb53a0d740bb6 *FS2OGGcutscenepack.vp
7a22c0d1f98357d00e70a7eeeba82e3d *multi-mission-pack.vp
21f208418acd99fc03c0379bfa777dad *multi-voice-pack.vp
0d9fd69acfe8b29d616377b057d2fc04 *root_fs2.vp
db303e2b1b614334daebe0618ae4e379 *smarty_fs2.vp
2a47bdf14860071cf0196d92e9ee7c2f *sparky_fs2.vp
97661124cdc47c0a2f0678982b8cbd91 *sparky_hi_fs2.vp
e88f0e0011b3e525a5ad625933684c03 *stu_fs2.vp
8ca7330cfe63329b41868efc2e40e048 *tango1_fs2.vp
6fb6e9a36248980540155a9777c51c47 *tango2_fs2.vp
d42c20b6ffb4782e431899c211ae55c4 *tango3_fs2.vp
d1f3c39d4fe1bbd56b7b06fe66eef4a6 *warble_fs2.vp

Also, here is the log file - I am not seeing why one version would give me sound and the other would not.  I am going to try running the debug from the 3.6.9 version and compare it to the version I built that you gave to me.  I'll let you know if I find any differences.  Here is my log file for the 3.6.10 (attached).

Thanx!
-C

I tried getting the smarty_fs2.vp off my CD's - my log file now says I have 10 files and the new md5sum is:

0d662decc0b443ccb8e8aa2e3a0887ce *smarty_fs2.vp

and the new log file I get from running 3.6.10 - debug is attached.  Still don't know why there is no sound and crashes after selecting a pilot.

Thanks!

-C

I also tried downloading the latest test builds you had posted.  Still no sound.  The regular version let me get all the way into a briefing and seg faulted when I tried to start the training mission.  The debug asserted with the following message:

Future debug output directed to: /home/collin/.fs2_open/data/fs2_open.log
ASSERTION FAILED: "len < n" at cfile/cfile.cpp:1583
Aborted

The log file looks the same as the other one I posted, but here it is in case I missed something.

Let me know if there is anything else I should try.

Thanks again!

-C

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Except for smarty_fs2.vp, all of the md5sums are good.  And the version of smarty_fs2.vp you got off of the CD is good too, so just use that one instead.

From the logs it does look like sound is working though, at least as far as the game is concerned.  Do you have a ~/.openalrc file?  If so, what's in it?  If you don't then try the attached one and see if that does anything.

As far as the pilot file crash, that seems a lot like you have (at some point) mixed pilot files from HEAD builds and the stable-branch CVS builds (like what I put out).  The two use the same pilot file version, but are completely incompatible.  You will get crashes, and things like that "ASSERTION FAILED" error, whenever you try a load a pilot in one type of build that you had used in the other.  So try just creating a new pilot and see if that fixes it.  Then just make sure that, if you use a HEAD build, you create a special pilot just for that.

And no, you weren't being pushy.  I tend to do a bunch of different things at the same time and will often need to be reminded of something that I've forgotten about or overlooked.  The general rule for dealing with me is that if you don't hear from me in a day or two then it's safest to just fire off an email or PM to get my attention. :)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
The smarty_fs2.vp on Taylor's Installer is corrupted.. try downloading it and then opening it with a VP viewer... I was going to test it and get back to him.... :nervous:

EDIT:

db303e2b1b614334daebe0618ae4e379 (120,244.33Kb, Turey's) http://fringespace.org/downloads/scp/retail/smarty_fs2.vp

0d662decc0b443ccb8e8aa2e3a0887ce (120,240.05Kb, Retail)  http://files.filefront.com/smarty+fs2vp/;8924947;/fileinfo.html
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 12:10:51 pm by jr2 »

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
The smarty_fs2.vp on Taylor's Installer is corrupted

:P

Anyway, I will fix it as soon as I get in contact with RK. Maybe it's just me, but the tech ani's still show up, even with the corrupted one.

EDIT: Fixed.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 06:41:43 pm by Turey »
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Haha!  Almost there!  I used the ~/.openalrc file you gave me and the sound is back.  I erased my ~/.fs2_open directory and started with a fresh pilot.  Almost everything worked.  In the debug mode, I get sound and voices, but the voices sound choppy.  My guess is that is probably a setting with ALSA/OpenAL (any suggestions on settings for those?)  The non debug mode that I built still seg faults after I hit commit, but the version you built (recently posted - fs2_open_r-20071028) appears to work great so far.

For now I can play that - YAY - I can blow stuff up!!  My only question for you is - if you have time and feel like answering it - what did you do differently to make your build?  I am assuming the code tarball you sent me is the same code you used to build the test builds you posted.  I'd be interested - if anything as an educational exercise for myself.  Did I use the wrong switches?  Did I miss something?

Anyway, thank you Taylor and everyone else who posted here for their help.  I guess now I'll just play with the cmd line settings to tweak and see what happens.  If anything else comes up, I'll leave a post....

Thanx!!!

-C

Yup - the sound is still a little choppy.  When I move around or the voice (ie instructor) is talking it sounds like it lags or is chopped up.  Any ideas on this?  Otherwise, everything seems ok so far!

-C

I dug around and found a hint in one of th BTRL forums - if I add the line:

SoundSampleRate=22050

into my .fs2_open/fs2_open.ini file, the sound seems ok.

YAY - explosions without choppiness!!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
The smarty_fs2.vp on Taylor's Installer is corrupted

:P

Anyway, I will fix it as soon as I get in contact with RK. Maybe it's just me, but the tech ani's still show up, even with the corrupted one.

EDIT: Fixed.

Jeez.  I've gotta stop doing that.  :nervous:  *smacks self*  Turey=Installer  taylor=stuff that Installer installs  :lol: