Poll

Are YOU in favor of splitting the BP and original versions of Raynor and Titan

Yes
9 (34.6%)
No
17 (65.4%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Splitting the BP and original versions of Raynor and Titan  (Read 5078 times)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Splitting the BP and original versions of Raynor and Titan
Exactly what the quiz states. The BP tables of these ships are totally different, the texturing is totally different, I believe the models have been tweaked (fact check please), and they are central to two major campaigns. I am in favor of a split.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Re: Splitting the BP and original versions of Raynor and Titan
The models are identical from what I can tell.
Actually, why not just get rid of the non-BP one altogether as, well, its not really used anywhere at all...

Voted no, because its messy to have articles refering to almost the same thing, with the same name, and having to use disambiguation and whatnot.

There are better ways to handle this I think.

EDIT:
Ok, maybe just split the Raynor, and have it as Raynor_(old) or something, cause the only other appearance uses the old model. (non-htl and all)
That one can talk about the Raynor in CoW, as well as the Valhalla in ItHoV.

Where else is the Titan used?

EDIT2:
On second thought don't split it at all.
Look at the Akrotiri page, it covers the INFR1, PI, and ASW versions just fine.
Textures are totally different, tables are totally different, the models have been tweaked (and in one case completely re-done in HTL version), they are central to two major campaigns, and they all share the same page just fine!

Unless you want to split that one too. Have fun.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 12:31:49 am by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
No. BP have reskinned it - very well, no doubt, but in the end, that's all it is. The name of the ship has stayed the same, so it should all be on the same page. Think about people looking for info on this ship - it'll be easier if it's all on one page.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Absolutely not.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
How very unequivocal of you. XD

I can however definitely see why.

Offline Qent

Too many other ships that are really BP-only; like the ones that were "really" retextured, unlike the Raynor and the Titan. Best to be consistent with those.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Akrotiri is a prime example how this should be handled. In fact, it might be worth setting a redirect to correct wiki page if same ship has different names in different mods. Common sense can be used though and different pages set up when one version is so different it could just as well be a different ship altogether. But when that is not the case, one wiki page per ship please.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
it's just a reskin, do it like the ak

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Why the Blue Planet versions of the models are in articles? They're not official autor's textures so they should be replaced by the correct ones. I've noticed the BP-related stuff is favoured then things from other mods etc.

And I don't know why BP's Titan has a separated article. This is just a reskin with other weapons and changed type of ship. PI's Akrotiri isn's super carrier as orginal Akrotiti is, and it's in main Akrotiri article.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Why the Blue Planet versions of the models are in articles? They're not official autor's textures so they should be replaced by the correct ones. I've noticed the BP-related stuff is favoured then things from other mods etc.

And I don't know why BP's Titan has a separated article. This is just a reskin with other weapons and changed type of ship. PI's Akrotiri isn's super carrier as orginal Akrotiti is, and it's in main Akrotiri article.
They are not separated, so save the indignation.

So the qualifications of separating an article depends on the model?
Also, what does that mean about the GTB Hydra?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I agree wholeheartedly with Droid803 here. Take a look at the Akrotiri page, that article should serve as an example.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
I acknowledge the validity of merging them. My primary question is, what is the crucial difference at which ship mods are different enough to split? I'd like to know for future reference.

Offline Droid803

If they have different names, would be my say.
Cause that cuts down on confusion for people looking for it.

For example, if someone types in "gtd raynor" into the search bar, there shouldn't be like four results saying "GTD Raynor" and then having the searcher figure out which one they're really looking for. But if they have different names, like UEF Kentauroi and FTF Jackal, then you can know for certain whichever one they're searching for is the one they actually want.

If its a modification of a canon ship, then obviously it has to be in its own article, as we don't want to shove non-canon info into an article about a canon ship (that's just messy). But amongst non-canon sources, they're all equal so they all go on the same page.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 04:03:07 pm by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

that's because people actually give a **** about and work on the BP stuff. if the same effort was put into the other mods they could get the same treatment, but wiki-ers aren't doing it

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Uhm, Droid, don't we have redirects? How are those different names a problem, if typing them can lead to the same page?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Droid803

yeah, we can redirect if there are different names, but we can't anti-redirect if we have the same name (that needs a disambiguation page and those "you might be looking for ...." at the top which makes stuff less straightforward.

I'm saying that its more OK to split if we have different names, less OK if we don't, cause it causes less confusion that way.

EDIT: as for categorizing, if it appears in Blue Planet, categorize it as a Blue Planet Ship. Being a Blue Planet Ship doesn't imply it exists exclusively in the BP universe, only that it appears in BP.
(´・ω・`)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
yeah, we can redirect if there are different names, but we can't anti-redirect if we have the same name (that needs a disambiguation page and those "you might be looking for ...." at the top which makes stuff less straightforward.

I'm saying that its more OK to split if we have different names, less OK if we don't, cause it causes less confusion that way.

EDIT: as for categorizing, if it appears in Blue Planet, categorize it as a Blue Planet Ship. Being a Blue Planet Ship doesn't imply it exists exclusively in the BP universe, only that it appears in BP.

Agreed with this post completely. The ACa Akrotiri and the Vishnan Keeper are two different ships for two different purposes, different tables. That they have the same mesh doesn't count for much. The GTD Raynor, be it the original low-poly one or Dragon's updated version, it's just the GTD Raynor.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I think we should go by meshes, not by names/purposes/whatever, or things would become confusing.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Agreed with this post completely. The ACa Akrotiri and the Vishnan Keeper are two different ships for two different purposes, different tables. That they have the same mesh doesn't count for much. The GTD Raynor, be it the original low-poly one or Dragon's updated version, it's just the GTD Raynor.

qtf+agreement, we're not exactly running out of 1s and 0s and as long as all the pages using the same mesh under different names link to the same release, shouldn't be a problem to give them their own unique info

there is zero reason a model should be tied to its original fluff

Offline Qent

What about that big Blue Planet banner at the top?