Author Topic: [RELEASE] NTF Reskin Pack  (Read 6738 times)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Re: [RELEASE] NTF Reskin Pack
Could this be an optional feature in the media VPs? Then people who don't like them can simply opt out by not checking the box? Or would this cause problems?
It would require alternate mission set, so it's very troublesome solution.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

To make use of them in the MVP missions yes, apart from that not.

Little note - the AO and Normal maps are identical to the regular versions in the MVPs, so if you're using FRED-based texture replacement (and probably table based; not sure) where you replace, say "AeolusUV-reflect" with "NTFAeMain-Reflect" you only need to include the base map, reflect and glow maps while keeping the other maps as they are. This will keep modpack sizes over 250 MBs smaller.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Going to sound dumb, but if I were to download this, where would I need to put it and would I need to do anything else with it over than pasting the file/s in the right place/s?
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
There are many ways.

You can use texture-replacement in FRED to replace maps of Orions, Fenrises etc. with those. Or you can make new tables to use POFs included, and add them as separete ship instances to a mod. Also others, mentioned in the OP
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Could this be an optional feature in the media VPs? Then people who don't like them can simply opt out by not checking the box? Or would this cause problems?
It would require alternate mission set, so it's very troublesome solution.
Is it really that troublesome? I think I could probably whip up that mission set given an hour or two just copy and pasting stuff in notepad, if it's just retail missions with texture replace slotted in assuming having both this pack and the mediavps.
I'm half tempted to actually just try this one day, if I'm bored enough. :P

Kinda want a Levi skin first though, it'd be odd having that be un-skinned when everything else the NTF uses would be.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Not sure if troublesome, but certainly require some effort. I guess notepad would come in handy at editing missions. Even lazier solution is table-based texture replacement.

Dunno. I just prepared reskins. I think there are individuals here who can figure out better ways to use them then I can.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 01:43:29 pm by Nyctaeus »

For those that want it here is the main FreeSpace campaign with NTF reskins. Just drop the contents and the NTF pack into the mediavps data folder.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FfLX8uvhJIsAJ5h5kf5N7URWcoTBv2jl/view?usp=sharing
May the Force be with you

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Not all heroes wear capes.

This bongs on knossos/fs blue.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I said it before, but repetita iuvant, just in case: these skins truly deserve to be added to the next MVPs package.  :nod:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

AFAIK the MVPs have a adapted a policy of "no reskins", for example when FSPort assets were integrated the Reskins were intentionally excluded (with the HOL Typhon maps actually being removed later on), also a number of Elysium-variants weren't put in.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
A policy which I wholly disagree with. Faction paint jobs are, IMO, a logical extension of squadron insignia.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I don't think it's actually anykind of pre-discussed and established policy. Actually nobody from FSU expressed anykind of open resistance. Before my reskins emerged, nobody ever proposed anything like that for real. HoL reskins for Operation Templar could be a thing, but lets say it straightforward: FSU doesn't care about Templar at all.

Also, note that FSU allowed custom reskins to happen in form of Leviathan and Lilith thus allowing certain dimorphism to exist, and actually completely altering key visuals of mentioned ships. Also, in the past FSU recolored some Shivan ships to be more homogeneous and consistent as a species.

In fact, I stated that we should keep all reskins away as an "objective standpoint of FSU team member", as I feel obliged to keep some of my personal preferences away, for the sake of goal of FSU.

...but the very existence of this pack confirms, that personally I also disagree with such policy :} .

Huh, let's create a poll in FSU board or something. Very many voices favours the integration of this reskin pack into FSU, as well as making more.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 12:31:22 pm by Nyctaeus »

Making a poll sounds good to me :)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

On which board did you post that?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Yah,  can't see it 😭😭
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
On which board did you post that?

FSU internal. Maybe I should move it? :|

Well I thought it was supposed to be that way, but I dunno.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
This is honestly great work.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.