Author Topic: What animes/series are you watching right now?  (Read 305245 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: What animes/series are you watching right now?
Ship it to a yank contact and redirect?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft

There's an idea.

Anyone willing to receive a parcel for me and post it to foggy ol' london? I'll pay you with smiley faces and wit.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Old Boy.

... oh boy.  If you want The Game mixed with Count of Monte Cristo with a helping of "Holy ****!" then I highly recommend.  Not for the faint of heart but man o man what a film. 
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
The second episode of Log Horizon was much better than the first.

I'm waiting for a few more episodes before I 'get my hopes up' as the 'kids might say' as the old people might say.

--

I gave that new submarine show three minutes before realizing it was terrible and could never be good.

--

Golden Time looks like it could be interesting.

--

First season of SAO was good
You know I saw so many people saying this, but it's really been pretty damn awful so far.  I shudder to think about what the "bad" second half will be like.

SAO is one of those series that people love or hate, or love to hate.

I liked it quite a bit, but feel like they could have entirely dropped the 'second part' without harming the series in the slightest.

SAO is one of those things that really should be read in its original (light novel) form, where it's actually pretty good.  The adaptation strips much of the stuff that makes it interesting to read.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
So The Walking Dead season premiere was weak. :/

I can't say I was expecting much from the series, which is why I'm surprised at how underwhelmed I am.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Old boy (original 03' Korean) is pure win. Spike Lee 13'...... Pah!!

Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

There's an idea.

Anyone willing to receive a parcel for me and post it to foggy ol' london? I'll pay you with smiley faces and wit.

I pretty much get all of my US stuff via United Publications.  I have found them to be a very nice bunch to deal with and practically had no issues with their service since I started using them since 2002.  I have also ordered stuff from the US based site Right Stuf on occasion when they have sales on and there is enough to buy to make the international shipping worthwhile.  I can't recommend these two enough.  UP can be lightning fast when it comes to ordering in-stock items and RS can have some super sales.
Find me as Hojo Norem elsewhere...

butter_pat_head... a name picked in sheer desperation more than 10 years ago from some super obscure Red Dwarf reference.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
SAO is one of those things that really should be read in its original (light novel) form, where it's actually pretty good.  The adaptation strips much of the stuff that makes it interesting to read.
I've seen the original author's take on an erotic encounter between the two lead characters, and, well...let's just say I've seen 12-year-olds that can write better.  I'm not exactly in any rush to look at what the novels are like. :p

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
I've seen the original author's take on an erotic encounter between the two lead characters, and, well...let's just say I've seen 12-year-olds that can write better.  I'm not exactly in any rush to look at what the novels are like. :p
You could make the same argument about nasu's sex scenes and it wouldn't change the quality of fate/stay night.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I don't know anything about that either way, but when many of  SAO's issues are so endemic and rooted in the basic series premise, they're still on the original author.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Actually, SAO's series premise is absolutely fine, IMO. In fact, the setting/premise are just about the only redeeming qualities.

It's just the way the author goes about it - the novels themselves start with, and are focused more on the AsunaxKirito MarySuexGaryStu (the author has admitted this in an interview) romance (that you really don't care about) more than the level-clearing/rpg dynamics/life-death game/whatnot (what you actually want to read) that the premise suggests. The anime shows events chronologically, while in the novels, the content of the first few episodes with the random-girl-of-the-week are revealed in various flashback sequences.

The second part (ALO) just compounds on everything that was bad in the first part, completely discarding the guise of the "interesting" premise/setting and plunging straight into the dumb. Though I do hear that the later parts - GGO etc. - (which the anime doesn't get to) get better (?).

I will say that I did enjoy the series.
Well, laughing at it was fairly enjoyable.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet  (I'm not sure that "verdurous" is a word, but whatever...)

Beautifully animated, quite a number of humorous moments, some decent battle sequences, and a surprisingly look at the nature of humanity. Female lead was pretty flat though, but this is counterbalanced by Chamber totally stealing any scene he's in.

Also... THAT DANCE SCENE!  :eek2:

Apparently a sequel has been greenlit as well. Still a ways off, though.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Though I do hear that the later parts - GGO etc. - (which the anime doesn't get to) get better (?).
The later parts are specifically why anyone should ever read the novels.  Some of the side stories are also quite good, as they focus on meatier topics and conflicts.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Actually, SAO's series premise is absolutely fine, IMO. In fact, the setting/premise are just about the only redeeming qualities.
Probably a bad word choice on my part, by "premise," I meant the specifics behind how this magical Nerve Gear helmet was supposed to operate, and how this apparent super-genius game designer managed to get people trapped in the game in the first place.  Even if we jump right past the point where one wonders why a high-powered microwave emitter would be in a VR helmet in the first place, and why it was able to pass any sort of consumer electronics inspections, it's never a good thing when I can think of four or five plausible ways of neutralizing it without killing the wearer just off the top of my head.  And yet we're led to believe that, somehow, more than two years go by without someone on the outside figuring it out.  I'm all about suspension of disbelief, but said suspension tends to get, well, suspended when faced with such a pants-on-head stupid setup.

The way I see it, .hack//SIGN executed a similar premise far better a decade ago, and had a better soundtrack to boot.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Never seen .hack series, is it worth it?
The hole mmo drama is kinda interesting to me now that I got myself to try some f2p mmo's.
el hombre vicio...

That would depend on what you want in a show.

.hack//Sign focuses heavily on the characters: there is next to no action, it's pretty much all dialogue.

That isn't to say it's not good, because the characters are in general quite well-written. It's just that some people go in expecting an action-filled game adventure and that's not what .hack//Sign is.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Never seen .hack series, is it worth it?
The hole mmo drama is kinda interesting to me now that I got myself to try some f2p mmo's.

That depends, do you want the whole story?

If so, be prepared to sink a lot of time into materials outside of the anime.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Nah, I just sit and expect to enjoy some decent story spattered with heavy action. It's not like that from what you are telling me so it's a no go.
el hombre vicio...

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is a good anime, despite the constant phallic imagery being rubbed in your face like you was the first one to pass out at a frat party and finding the pictures on instagram the next da(or whatever american college guys do to each other when they pass out from too much piss water Beer).
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken