Author Topic: What animes/series are you watching right now?  (Read 306613 times)

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Re: What animes/series are you watching right now?
Meh, just avoid it and keep watching the good stuff. EG Psycho pass is getting a remake, the first episode was good despite all the extra and unnecessary additional "feel moments".
el hombre vicio...

Twilight doesn't even have good action scenes and it's not terrible in a funny way. It's just terrible. Sao seems to keep coming up with original ways to suck more and more and it's just like watching a bus crash, you simply can't look away.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
So, there's a new Appleseed movie, called Appleseed Alpha. Despite the blatantly (and inexplicably) sexualized redesign of Deunan, this is a pretty good story in the Appleseed universe; This time, it shows Deunan and Briareos working as mercenaries before they get to Olympus. It got good action and passable writing, and the CG (apart from a few animation issues) is absolutely stunning.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Deunan is the woman right? She was sexy beforehand. How can they up that???

Edit- ok I see it now.

Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Sao seems to keep coming up with original ways to suck more and more and it's just like watching a bus crash, you simply can't look away.

Having read the novels, I'm just enjoying the fan rage coming out of this. Hilariously great popcorn munching material.

*munch munch*

Anyway, I'm looking into some older mecha series. Debating on Vision of Escaflowne or possibly Bokurano. Alternatively, I just obtained a copy of the Deus Machina Demonbane VN, so I could do that as well.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
I don't think I've ever seen such a massive soundtrack/video dissonance.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Got several recommendations from a friend to watch some anime.  A couple of them I've seen opinions in this thread, but most of them are unknown to me.  I throw them to the masses for their opinions on:

Tokyo Ghoul
Akuma no Riddle
Blue Exorcist
Working
Noragawa
Durarara!!

I eagerly await responses.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Blue Exorcist is, well, pretty by-the-book shounen.  It's entertaining enough if that's really your thing, but I was a bit disappointed after the first two episodes, which had suggested a darker tone.  Durarara!! is a quirky and unique sort of show, with a few really awesome characters.  I can't say I enjoyed it as much as Baccano!, which was based on novels by the same original author, but it was certainly entertaining.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Seven episodes in to Puella Magi Madoka Magica.  Madoka irritates me.

This naturally is rather unfortunate, considering she is one of the main characters.

I thought Madoka's character was okay. Everyone else in the show are kind of downers, so her niceness was a bit of fresh air in the story.

The biggest complaint I had with the show was that the ending was a little too deus ex machina for my tastes.  The ending was sort of built into the premis of the story, so it wasn't as bad as some stories.

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Got several recommendations from a friend to watch some anime.  A couple of them I've seen opinions in this thread, but most of them are unknown to me.  I throw them to the masses for their opinions on:

Working

I do think that WORKING!!/WAGNARIA!! is a very nice slice of life, but your opinion of it might depend on how much you like/dislike Inami.

Seven episodes in to Puella Magi Madoka Magica.  Madoka irritates me.

This naturally is rather unfortunate, considering she is one of the main characters.

Spoiler:
If it's because she hasn't done anything despite the series being named after her, then I can understand that. However you'll understand why she's like that later on. Obviously I can't say more without spoiling the rest of the series, though!

Tokyo Ghoul
Akuma no Riddle
Blue Exorcist
Working
Noragawa
Durarara!!

I eagerly await responses.

Tokyo Ghoul was alright, but dark fantasy horroresque anime are a bit rare, so you should watch it if you like that genre. The voice acting is a bit off, to be expected with the low-ish production values.

Akuma no Riddle is an action yuri show. If you like yuri you'll probably like it. If you think yuri is killing anime then you should steer clear of it.

Blue Exorcist is a pretty standard shounen, though the plus side is that it has a good enough ending after 26 episodes. It leaves things open but it's by no means a cliffhanger. If you just want to watch some mindless shounen action but don't want to commit to a 200+ episode show this is one of your options(although Busou Renkin does the same thing, but better in every way).

Working!! is a slice of life show using a pretty moe artstyle. It's pretty decent as a comedy show though it has no real plot. If you want a more serious take on the slice of life genre, try BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad.

I'm going to assume you mean "Noragami" here as there's no anime I know of named "Noragawa". Noragami is probably the best show in the Winter 2014 season and saying too much might spoil it. You should give it a watch if you want something a bit more deep yet still enjoyable.

Durararara!!! follows the same format as Baccanno!!! but it's set in modern day Tokyo. Most consider it inferior to it's predecessor, though it's still pretty good.

The problem with Madoka Magica is that it's a really good deconstruction of the magical girl genre. If you understand the genre then you can appreciate all the tropes they've subverted. If you never really watched magical girl shows(watching Sailor Moon as a kid doesn't count) then you probably won't enjoy it as much.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 12:40:20 pm by FrikgFeek »
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Yes, I meant Noragami.  Hard to read scribbles sometimes. :p

I've already seen Baccanno!!! so Durarara!! is definitely on the list.

The others are various levels of "if I find the spare time".  Despite loving Dragonball and Naruto in my youth, traditional shounen mostly just annoys me anymore.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken