Author Topic: What animes/series are you watching right now?  (Read 305290 times)

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Re: What animes/series are you watching right now?
Starting on SWO. I know I'm behind the curve, but I've been hearing good things about the first series and I'm going to give it a whirl.

Edit- Thanks to this series, I don't think I'll ever be able to listen to a certain Christmas carol without having a chronic attack of The Feels:(
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 04:14:16 am by FireSpawn »
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Hellzed

Just watched Knights of Sidonia. The whole season, in one night.
Everything I liked in Macross and Evangelion in a single animé. some vibes of Space : Above and Beyond too, and Attack on Titan (even if it came after).
Some anime tropes are nicely subverted
Spoiler:
like the harem turning into a graveyard pretty fast (maybe turning it into the infamous "Women in Refrigerators" trope).

Offline Luis Dias

Watched half of first season of the irresponsible captain Taylor. A classic I was told. Yeah it's fun.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Recently finished Nichijou
Greatest time I've ever spent watching an anime
So awesome
"No"

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei is probably the best anime currently airing. You know I am right.
Please tell me you're being sarcastic, it's kinda hard to tell over the net.
I mean come on, it's a bland MC cruising through every challenge without much thought. It's wish fulfilment for lazy otakus with little to none artistic merit. I guess it's enjoyable in a guilty pleasure kind of way but that's all it is.

Well, yes and no.

No in a way that I'm dead bored of anime and manga where protagonist starts off being some random weakling who gets strong by some plot device or "hard work". Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei like a lot of other anime titles is suffering from the usual animezation of manga or novels, a lot of details are left out. I wish anime studios would stop butchering their titles by cutting character and story development scenes. But then again, that goes for almost all titles adapter from manga or novel.

The protagonist in Mahouka is someone who had innate aptitude for certain skills highly useful in using and countering magic and (genetically?) modified by their family corporation. The protagonist is also employed by the military and has received significant military training. When you take into account that magicians in Mahouka universe were/are used as human weapons, it is no wonder the protagonist has been able to steamroll pretty much any opposition so far. In addition, the anime so far has not even shown anything but school games, which to someone like the protagonist is truly child's play. Only in last two episodes things have become little more serious and away from school games, but the protagonist has yet to get serious. Character and story development is diminished by those scenes that were not animated and would have explained and shown a lot of stuff.

Yes in a way that there are slightly better titles airing (or was since the season is pretty much over).

Hetalia is awesome.

Also, just saw the anime adaptation of Kanon. After playing through the book-game, I can say that it's a worthy anime, but no anime can do justice to such a neurotic masterpiece of a story.

Attack on Titan seems to be the flavour of the month around here.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 10:02:35 pm by haloboy100 »
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
I'm playing Naruto Shippuuden Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution, which is kind of like watching an anime during the main story parts. 

Also some of the combination ultimate jutsu give me the fanfic giggles.

EDIT: And of course on the show, **** is hitting the fan at unprecedented velocity.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 10:04:29 am by Turambar »
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm really no fan of the show, but those games are absolutely gorgeous.

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
I watched an LP of the Revolutions Mecha Naruto story from youtube, and I was pleasantly surprised. They had given it some thought actually and it had nice references to the beginnings of Naruto. :yes:

The Mecha Naruto special episode that aired two weeks ago on the otherhand was one big (but god damn hilarious) joke  :lol:
Habeeb it...

Offline Turambar

I watched an LP of the Revolutions Mecha Naruto story from youtube, and I was pleasantly surprised. They had given it some thought actually and it had nice references to the beginnings of Naruto. :yes:

The Mecha Naruto special episode that aired two weeks ago on the otherhand was one big (but god damn hilarious) joke  :lol:

Make sure you check out the awakening in-game where MechaNaruto becomes MechaKyuubi.  I'm pretty sure that counts as another Gurren Lagann reference.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Started up Psycho-Pass, since I discovered it's on Netflix.  Pretty good, so far.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
http://www.crunchyroll.com/tonari-no-seki-kun-the-master-of-killing-time/episode-2-king-648665

I don't know how this managed to be so awesome, but it is
A kid slacks off in class. That's the premise of this anime
"No"

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Patlabor 2. The movie.

Kawai
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Psycho pass is pretty decent, but it's filled with the worst kind of modern pseudo-philosophy. It's kinda distracting when the show is using philosophy for characterisation instead of actually deconstructing the points made. At least it was pretty entertaining to watch, as long as you don't think too hard(but you still have to think a bit, this isn't a cheap thrills action series).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 08:31:49 pm by FrikgFeek »
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Psycho pass is pretty decent, but it's filled with the worst kind of modern pseudo-philosophy. It's kinda distracting when the show is using philosophy for characterisation instead of actually deconstruction the points made. At least it was pretty entertaining to watch, as long as you don't think too hard(but you still have to think a bit, this isn't a cheap thrills action series).

After watching the first eight or so episodes, I'm not convinced that "the worst kind of modern psuedo-philosophy" isn't entirely the point.  It's a utopia for those able to keep themselves dissociated from anything "wrong", and a paranoid, merciless dystopia for anyone with non-normative thoughts or urges - modified somewhat by their adjustment, but still present.  This is evident from the first episode, and the utter reliance on Sybil in all matters of justice just reeks of a society that is very much not intended to be a positive role model.

That the protagonists all, by their very existence, toe the line between normative and non-normative (or are just skilled enough at their jobs to be worth keeping) is another jab.  These are the people we are supposed to care about, to form attachments to, and they are designated criminals enslaved by this society into doing its dirty work.

Psycho-Pass deconstructs those concepts pretty brutally.

EDIT: I also thought it was pretty interesting that we have four anti-heroes to root for.  It may just be coincidence, but after that discussion over the so-called "Dark Tetrad" as it relates to internet posting habits, I can't help but wonder if the characters are supposed to represent those personality traits.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Space Dandy remains the greatest thing ever.  Love the booty.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I steamrolled my way through Code Geass S1 & S2.
Need some rest.

Will probably pick up Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood as my next steamroll victim. (wondering if I'll be ending up as the victim though)
el hombre vicio...

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
FMA:B is a great choise.

Oh man I can't wait for the fall season. Gundam Build Fighters Try, Log Horizon 2, more Chaika... and so on.
Habeeb it...

Offline Turambar

Gundam Reconquista in G starts tomorrow!  I am wondering what to call it so it doesnt sound dumb.

Gundam R

G-Reko

Gunreka 7

Legend of the Gunlactic Heroes

And of course I am in for Build Fighters.  I just did decals and panel lines on my MG Nu Gundam, and I have a MG ReZEL to build next!

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Patlabor 2. The movie.

Kawai

All hail Alphonse the 2nd!
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.