Author Topic: What animes/series are you watching right now?  (Read 305159 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: What animes/series are you watching right now?
Thank you ... I found the ending rather ... odd and a bit ill-fitting, so if there is a superior version out there I will see if I can watch it....

Finished Netflix's "The Last Kingdom" just now ... I only watched it because I wrote a paper on Wessex under the rule of Alfred the Great a year back (which is one of the most ridiculus academia stories I know - basically I got one of my best grades on a paper disproving my own initial thesis which I formulated based on a wrong interpreation of a line in source material :D )

It is fair but the historical nitpicks drove me crazy at some point (the word "english" for example does not appear in the source material at the time) and there is something really wrong either with their props or their camera work (making the props look inconsistently)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Well I finished Full Metal Alchemist a while ago. I found it really enjoyable. Subbed or Dubbed the dialogue, acting never felt contrived or unnatural and the battles were very interesting and awesome. I almost every character I met. Should I watch the Brotherhood movie? Still It's probably if not my new favourite anime now it's in my top 10-20's.

I've also been watching RWBY.... which well I certainty don't hate it... but I certainly don't like it.  The fight scenes after Monty left for the big animated epic fight arena in the sky are really kinda boring and remind me of how the fights in DBZ went. Fight a little bit, pause, talk, talksomemore and/or repeat. I don't feel very invested in the character's, and it says something when a show's named rwby but the person with the most focus and development is neither ruby, weiss, blake or yang. Hell the main lead doesn't even get any that I remember.

Anybody else watching Erased?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Very much so.  Excellent show.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Holy ****, gundam was intense this week.  Is anyone else watching this ****?!

10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
No. I've given up on IBO. It's a character tragedy destroyed by a lack of reason to care about the characters and a story without a world. By now it feels like the sides are just there. It isn't like Mars was being ultra-oppressed. I mean, slums, underage prostitutes, you can find those in the goddamn US. (Just visit a Deep South state.) It's not entirely clear what's being fought for by Ghallerjohornsistthingy either, at this point, as they've apparently lost power here on Earth somewhat too.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Anime isn't just for weebs

Well, NGTM-1R may be failing to raise his flag, but yeah, I've been keeping up with IBO. Building to a climax in which it seems like anything can happen... and everyone is dead sure there's going to be a Season 2, because I doubt they can wrap up the story in one or two episodes.

My anime club has been watching Humanity Has Declined... but I just can't get into it. It's obviously a gag series, but the humor just falls flat to me. Even the protagonist's sarcasm just isn't really all that funny.

Anime isn't just for weebs

You're in an anime thread, dude. Talk about preaching to the choir...
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Honestly I don't know if its just horrible subs translation. But I've kinda lost track of the character movitavations of Tekkadan, Gjallarhorn etc. It's just all kind of a blur right now.
I get that Tekkadan is basically going to get wiped out if they pussy out at the last minute and they have no choice but to go through with it. But whats in it for them afterwards? Arent they just going to get hunted down by Gjallarhorn, how are they going to make their lives better if the solar police wants them dead? I'm honestly just so confused.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Honestly I don't know if its just horrible subs translation. But I've kinda lost track of the character movitavations of Tekkadan, Gjallarhorn etc. It's just all kind of a blur right now.
I get that Tekkadan is basically going to get wiped out if they pussy out at the last minute and they have no choice but to go through with it. But whats in it for them afterwards? Arent they just going to get hunted down by Gjallarhorn, how are they going to make their lives better if the solar police wants them dead? I'm honestly just so confused.

I think they're pushing forward to create a situation where enough political powers owe them that they won't be instantly crushed the moment they stop moving. 

McGillis is trying to reshape Gjallarhorn into something he thinks is more worthy, but I have a feeling that destroying all the honorable knight types is only going to leave scumbags like McGillis running things.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

For a while now I've actually been finding myself cheering on Gaelio, because his goals make the most sense, all he wants to do is make Gjallarhorn a better-organisation. A rich naive pretty boy he may be, but I keep finding myself cheering him on rather than the clearly psychotic and getting worse by the minute Mikazuki during the battles.

Honestly Orga is playing with a razor with Mika, he's clearly losing it (or atleast the impression I got). He knows it. But obviously he's too much of a resource to lose. 

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
McGillis is trying to reshape Gjallarhorn into something he thinks is more worthy, but I have a feeling that destroying all the honorable knight types is only going to leave scumbags like McGillis running things.

Personally I don't think he cares for Gjallarhorn at all and is deliberately trying to scuttle it, possibly with a side order of restart the Cataclysm.

A Feddie Story

Here's how I read the character intentions:

Tekkadan: Want to make a name for themselves as a mercenary group. Their current job is bodyguarding Kudelia and Makanai and getting them to the capital of Arbrau. They feel that they can't back out of this job because no one would take them seriously if they did, and they'd have to abandon the bulk of their Mobile Suit forces to do so. Further, while they are allied with Teiwaz currently, their friendship with that organization is dependent on results. If they cease to be useful and become a liability, Teiwaz will drop them. As for making an enemy of Gjallarhorn, well, that kind of happened right at the beginning, but Gjallarhorn's influence beyond Earth itself is tenuous at best, so Tekkadan can, if necessary, stay out of their way and make a comfortable living in Jupiter and Mars.

Kudelia: Wants to generally improve the lives of the impoverished of Mars (and now the lower class of the Earth Sphere as well). Current goal is to make a speech at Arbrau, one of the Earth-based powers that has shown some support for her cause.

Gjallarhorn: Wants to maintain the status quo, with themselves on top of the world. Tekkadan's been making a fool of them for a while, so they want the group gone. But they have to careful of political backlash since Tekkadan has a few friends in high places and are heroes of the people.

McGillis: Claims to want to reform Gjallarhorn. His true agenda may be something different, as he's doing things behind the back of his supposed allies. Full scope of his plans remains a mystery.

Gaelio: Seems to genuinely want to reform Gjallarhorn, but is being left in the dark regarding McGillis's full plans.

Ein: Wants to KILL ALL THE TEKKADAN!
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Wanted some mindless mech fun. Can't find an English dub for planzet though.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Currently watching Marvel's Daredevil Season 2 (right now at episode 10 of 13) ... and believe it is as good as they say (so far, opinion may change depending how this wraps up)

Most what was wrong with the first season they fixed (paceing is better, more time with the interesting characters, a bit more subtlety in the tie-ins and hooks department etc etc) and if you thought it wouldn't work without THE run-away performance of the previous season, don't worry.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I only just discovered this 1988 take on the original novel.

Old school.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Starship Troopers Anime

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I know.
It's weirdly unlike the book so far and I'm 70 minutes in.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Starship Troopers Anime

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

And he hasn't even seen Roughnecks yet.

A Feddie Story

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
 :wtf: he hasn't?

You must correct this.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.