Author Topic: What animes/series are you watching right now?  (Read 305261 times)

Re: What animes/series are you watching right now?
Yeah, I ain't crazy, I'm always very careful to avoid spoilers when navigating the Internet ;)

Offline Snarks

Go Team Venture! Season 7.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
The ending of Adventure Time was fortunately one of the good episodes, a bit rushed but still a good finale.
I find the series as a whole terribly uneven with some really good parts and some that aren’t really in my taste but I can see how it influenced later animated series, last time I saw a piece of television history of this caliber end in “real time” was with the Buffy finale.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Rewatching DS9. Again. Also I saw the finale of Adventure Time, and later on I'm going to see the new Venture Brothers.

Offline Luis Dias

Finally got to see Avatar and Korra.

Good ****.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I love the 1920's Shanghaish setting for Korra especially.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Finished Steven Universe season 5, was pretty cool.

Watched the first episode of The Mist series, wasn't impressed, probably not gonna pick up the series.

I watched the first two episodes of Tokyo Ghoul, I'm not really sure what to make of it. The plot and characters seem pretty standard, I get a fairly strong feeling of déjà-vu from the series, despite never having seen it before. given the fairly limited amount of spare time I have, I feel like I would be better off trying another anime from my "To Watch" list.
Anybody has an opinion on that series ? Is it worth sticking around ?

I've had a look at Attack on Titan's season 3, but I don't really feel compelled to go through it. It wasn't the most exciting story arc in the manga, and I still remember everything well enough that I don't need a refresher. They seem to have skipped a few bits here and there, so maybe they're trying to power through it to get to the next juicy part earlier.
The next couple of seasons are gonna be pretty cool though :P.

I also started watching Altered Carbon, a cyberpunk-ish type series, it's looks pretty good for now, I'm curious to see where they're going with the concept.

Lastly, I picked up Disenchantment, Matt Groening's latest animated series. I kinda like it so far, Groening hasn't lost his mojo, and it fills my 20-ish minutes western show time slots nicely.

Speaking of 20-ish minutes time slots, any anime worth watching came out this year ?

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel

I watched the first two episodes of Tokyo Ghoul, I'm not really sure what to make of it. The plot and characters seem pretty standard, I get a fairly strong feeling of déjà-vu from the series, despite never having seen it before. given the fairly limited amount of spare time I have, I feel like I would be better off trying another anime from my "To Watch" list.
Anybody has an opinion on that series ? Is it worth sticking around ?

I can't remember if I even watched 3 episodes of it but it didn't grab me. I don't think there's anything especially wrong with the show (from what I watched anyways) but it's fairly middling as a horror show, if that's what you're looking for. A significantly better horror/vampire show is Shiki, just be ready for the most anime hair you've ever seen.

Speaking of 20-ish minutes time slots, any anime worth watching came out this year ?

Came out this year? Hmm...

From winter I'd recommend Violet Evergarden (even on the animation alone), A Place Further than the Universe (Sora Yori) as a really nice slice of life-ish show, and Yuru Camp (slice of life about cute girls who go camping). Though partially from last year I'd recommend Garo: Vanishing Line if you want action and urban/techno fantasy.

From spring I'd recommend Wotakoi for romance, Hisone and Masotan (dragon airplane show), Hinamatsuri for comedy. (I'm waiting to watch Steins;Gate 0 until I finish the VN)

From summer I'd recommend Banana Fish for gangsters/character drama, Revue Starlight for spectacle, being incredibly gay, and because I'm a theater nerd, sirius the jaeger for action and vampires (again if you're iffy about Tokyo Ghoul but want something like it, I prefer this but YMMV)
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Finished Steven Universe season 5, was pretty cool.

And of course it ended in a massive cliffhanger after a major shakeup, if rumors they are shooting for nine seasons is true it was quite a bold choice.
Lastly, I picked up Disenchantment, Matt Groening's latest animated series. I kinda like it so far, Groening hasn't lost his mojo, and it fills my 20-ish minutes western show time slots nicely.
Personally I've found it a bit bland in places.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Tokyo Ghoul
To be honest, it was on my watchlist because the name popped up multiple times over the years and it was available on Netflix, so I figured I might as well give it a shot at some point.

Came out this year? Hmm...

From winter I'd recommend Violet Evergarden (even on the animation alone), A Place Further than the Universe (Sora Yori) as a really nice slice of life-ish show, and Yuru Camp (slice of life about cute girls who go camping). Though partially from last year I'd recommend Garo: Vanishing Line if you want action and urban/techno fantasy.

From spring I'd recommend Wotakoi for romance, Hisone and Masotan (dragon airplane show), Hinamatsuri for comedy. (I'm waiting to watch Steins;Gate 0 until I finish the VN)

From summer I'd recommend Banana Fish for gangsters/character drama, Revue Starlight for spectacle, being incredibly gay, and because I'm a theater nerd, sirius the jaeger for action and vampires (again if you're iffy about Tokyo Ghoul but want something like it, I prefer this but YMMV)
Thanks for the recommendations  :yes: I'll try checking those out and see how it goes :)

Personally I've found it a bit bland in places.
Well, it's a Matt Groening show, so that's not too surprising ^^.
For me, it works quite well : baring a few exception, I tend to be doing some other task (eg. eat lunch, do MMO dailies, farm, etc.) while watching this kind of english-speaking short show (or youtube video or whatever), so my attention is rarely 100% on either, so it can afford being bland from time to time. I wasn't exactly hyped going into it, so it actually did better than expected.

Incidentally, this is one of the considerations I had when I picked up Steven Universe in the first place : it had roughly the perfect length for breakfast or lunch. Then it became too attention grabbing for any of that and I ended up just binge watching the whole thing :D

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Altered carbon is Bladerunner violently raped by Game of Thrones while Ghost in the Shell weeps hiding behind a throw cushion.......with its tits out.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Snarks

Got a free month of Netflix, so now I'm watching BoJack Horseman. It's great so far, being a very close runner-up to the Venture Bros for my all time favorite cartoon series.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I didn't really like it.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Altered carbon is Bladerunner violently raped by Game of Thrones while Ghost in the Shell weeps hiding behind a throw cushion.......with its tits out.

That good huh?

Offline Luis Dias

No... that's not good.... at all.

Rewatched the entire first season of SAO yesterday while it was running on TV. I'm not that a huge fan of SAO in general, but yesterday it was exactly what I needed. Made me feel so much better.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Samurai Attack Ostrich?

Yeah I'm waiting for the scarlet Johanssen live action remake.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Er no, Sword Art Online.

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
Finished Revue Starlight and Sirius the Jaeger this week (Starlight might be my anime of the year).

I'm still figuring out what to pick up this season but I'm doing a rewatch of Shiki for the third or fourth time in honor of October (and it being one of my top 5 shows of all time) and man does it hold up, even if there are some weird quick fan service shots every so often.
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
If Goblin Slayer is anywhere near as good as the novels or even the manga (which itself is an awesome adaptation of the novels), you might want to pick it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 02:37:52 pm by Ghostavo »
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...