Author Topic: What animes/series are you watching right now?  (Read 305161 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: What animes/series are you watching right now?
Managed to binge through castlvania season 2 on Netflix.   

Same here... There is a point where I was seriously finding myself hoping the series would slow down and let all cool monster designs sink in more, but that might have stopped the narrative dead. The characters are well written, the animation is good, and the plot is well crafted.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
It's a very bingeable show. The VA was really good and most of the characters were really well defined. I particularly liked Isaac, really hope we see more of him in season 3.

I'd argue that Season 2 is better than 1. But for a show about the Belmonts war with Dracula. It kinda glosses over Trevor, and I feel the character interactions between the Heroes becomes very bipolar at times. Going from "We're all buddies." to "We hate each other." at the drop of a hat.

And these fight scenes though. Trevor does a new thing with his Whip every battle.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Alucard thinks Trevor is an immature drunkard (and more importantly thinks Sypha can do better), Trevor thinks Alucard is a stuck-up child with daddy issues.  Flipping between amusement and annoyance based on the most recent barb in conversation isn't exactly far fetched. :P

I think it might help to remember the time-frame of season 2.  Even with all the scheming, it takes place over the course of maybe three days.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I'd quite like to see a prequel showing the fall of the belmonts.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Alucard thinks Trevor is an immature drunkard (and more importantly thinks Sypha can do better), Trevor thinks Alucard is a stuck-up child with daddy issues.  Flipping between amusement and annoyance based on the most recent barb in conversation isn't exactly far fetched. :P

I think it might help to remember the time-frame of season 2.  Even with all the scheming, it takes place over the course of maybe three days.

That.

Have you ever been in that situation where you know something you have been doing creatively is not working but you can't think of a solution to the problem, and then you go out to see a movie/play/show/concert/watch a show and suddenly the key falls into your lap, in the form of a visual/audio cue/flourish you never concieved but it is basically cliche to someone else? (complex, possibly unrelatable situation, I know)

Happened to me when I started watching Bakemonogatari (2009) yesterday.

Now I am missing a lot of the sylistic cues and cultural reference points, and have to deduce a lot of the visual vocabulary of the anime on the fly due to lack of familiarity with what the original author and the showrunners have a clear and easy handle on.
But the show is basically a (single couple commited relationship) romance anime that uses the tropes to handle supernatural and psychological horror in japanse cinema to frame the steps and complications of the relationship as hauntings/curses/interactions with spirits.

At times it feels like an assault on the senses, esspecially when it tries to explain frequent wordplay, but I kinda found it working once I decided to stick it out and I am about half-way through now.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Just finshed watching She-Ra and The Princesses of Power if anything to finally see what the fuss was about.
It's fun and does do something with the premise that the protagonist is a former bad guy, there are a few threads left dangling for the next season but doesn't really end in a cliffhanger.
The operation is basically the same as the Ninja Turtles cartoon of the 00s, take the premise but make it as a real show instead of almost purely a toy commercial and sincerely the jump is even wider since the filmation stuff was perceivably worse than Fred Wolf's cartoon even then quality-wise.
There are a few issues with a couple of episodes in the first half after the two part first episode, there is one that feels like it's missing a scen or two for some reason for example but it picks it back up rather quickly after that.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I remember loving those bewbs as a youngster.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I remember loving those bewbs as a youngster.
I paradoxically don't remember that much. I had my share of Masters of The Universe toys and watched the cartoons (I'm talking eraly 90s but being in Italy they both arrived a bit late but it was mostly re-runs by that time anyway) but shortly after the X-men and Batman cartoons started and let's not talk about Gargoyles.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
let's not talk about Gargoyles.

No lets...

Elisa Maza kicked ass and was fricken hawt.

Their integration of characters and stories like Macbeth and Midsummer Night's Dream was fantastic

and this ****ing guy:

Holy crap this series was great, Goddammit Disney you can make sets by paper macheing hundred dollar bills together at this point, why the hell can't I get a HD box set in Blu?
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Gargoyles and Batman TAS are the kind of cartoons that got better when I re-watched them as an adult.

Also, let's not forget Demona.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Batman TAS was great and I really like the old Spiderman series, but can't find anywhere to watch it (legally that is). I remember one episode of Batman where he fought that monster guy that absorbs people (sorry Batman fans) and it really scared me as a kid.

The Godzilla series was another awesome one. It was like Pacific Rim before that was even a thing, only instead of the giant robots you had Godzilla and one little robot that died every episode.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Torn between batman TAS dvd or blu-ray.   Both available on hmv website here in UK.

Either...dvd
https://store.hmv.com/film-tv/dvd/batman-the-animated-series-series-1-4-(hmv-excl

or

Blu-ray
https://store.hmv.com/film-tv/blu-ray/batman-the-complete-animated-series

Halp.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 08:00:20 am by Colonol Dekker »
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Blu-ray, easy.  That's cel animation.  It'll look goddamn fantastic in HD.  I've owned the four DVD sets for years, but I'm double-dipping for sure.

Torn between batman TAS dvd or blu-ray.   Both available on hmv website here in UK.

Ohh!  Thanks for the heads up!  I had started collecting BM:TAS on DVD years ago when it was on offer cheap and I only managed to snag the first two seasons.  It seems the last few years had been good for Blu-ray remasters.  Sometime early next year there's supposed to be a blu release of the first 8 series of Red Dwarf.  Upscaled, sure but I dare say that it's possible to make a better job of it in production then what my player or TV can muster... that and the PQ appears to have the creator's approval.

Actually, I checked the review of the BM:TAS blu on amazon.  Some idiot gave it one star because it wasn't in widescreen.  It reminds me of the early widescreen era...  "I paid for a widescreen.  I want ALL the screen used.  I don't care if they look fat...  oh and don't forget to put my surround sound on hall mode.  Gotta have ALL my speakers working ALL the time."

If only the TV manufactures would remove the colour adjustment from their TVs...  Oh, and 'dynamic' mode too!

rant over.
Find me as Hojo Norem elsewhere...

butter_pat_head... a name picked in sheer desperation more than 10 years ago from some super obscure Red Dwarf reference.

Alright, just finished watching Death Note not 1 hour ago, thanks in no small part to having plowed through a good portion of the series over Thanksgiving break. I watched the subbed version on Netflix (so far, in my limited exposure to anime, I've found I prefer subbed to dubbed).
Overall: Quality show, would recommend.
Now for spoiler territory:
Spoiler:
The ending is bothering me. The show had a consistent level of quality throughout (with the exception of some points involving Mello where the plot got to be a little muddled). However, the ending just doesn't sit right with me. Even if Light was progressively starting to lose it, I feel as though he would have thought Near would suspect a fake notebook. Like, he could have told Mikami to never touch the death note after hiding it, or to inspect it for authenticity before using it. And given how intuitive Light is supposed to be, I don't think these, or any similar methods, would have been out of reach for Light. I get that they wanted to complete the foreshadowed "Misfortune comes to those who use the note"...but I feel there might have been a better way to do it.
Other than this minor (major? might need to let the thoughts stew for a while to decide) gripe, it was very entertaining show. No idea yet what I'll be watching next. 

I wasn't prepared for the rather large amount of civilian casualties that happen in Generation Kill. Or rather, the honesty in portraying that aspect of the war. Definitely worth a watch.

Offline Strygon

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • Steam
A bit of Goblin Slayer because I had nothing else to watch.
Makes missions sometimes.
Finished Projects: Operation: Cloak and Dagger

Current Projects: Scrolls Part 2 (FREDding), Dimensional Eclipse (Art),
The First Contact War, GTDr Amazon HTL

[23:22] strypolygon: andrew
[23:22] strypolygon: i have one favor to ask of you
[23:22] strypolygon: never try speaking german again
[23:23] Andrewofdoom: No.

[18:50] 島風改八百三: the duck has multipli
[18:50] 島風改八百三: many duck
[18:50] 島風改八百三: left side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: even side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: handle it

[21:34] MP-Ryan: Why on earth would you Google this
[21:34] The_E: why would you not

[06:46] Strigon: how big is a mini-campaign again?
[06:46] Asteroth: smaller than a campaign
[06:47 ]Strigon: thanks

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

[17:36] qazwsxal: time to have some fun
[17:41] z64555: VC++5 is not my idea of fun

[EatThePath] do your missiles do anything absurd?
[Strigon] describe absurd
[Strigon] the entire mod is absurd

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Not a series but it seriously needs a plug:

If you have any interest in Symphonic Post-Apocalyptic Reindeer-Grinding Christ-Abusing Extreme War Pagan Fennoscandian Metal then do yourself a favor and just give it a watch.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Is it similar to.....?

I've had it on dvd since release, love that soundtrack too ;)
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.