Author Topic: What animes/series are you watching right now?  (Read 305216 times)

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Re: What animes/series are you watching right now?
Finished Neon Genesis Evangelion
After episode 24 I was dreading what would follow (and having that episode spoiled years ago didn't help, if anything made it worse because I already knew how it was going to end).
That it was just a reflection on what had happend in the rest of the series with few hints to what happened in the "real world" was a relief.
I guess all the really traumatic parts are in End of Evangelion, right?
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

That it was just a reflection on what had happend in the rest of the series with few hints to what happened in the "real world" was a relief.
I guess all the really traumatic parts are in End of Evangelion, right?

Giving any definitive answers about anything in Eva is difficult enough. But I would say that End of Evangelion does definitely help.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Finished book two of Avatar 2 electric boogaloo.  On book 3 now and the antagonists are more interesting than the last lot.

Also I've got a weird schoolboy crush on kya which repulses me as she's olllllld.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Watched End of Evangelion.
Less brutal in the psychological sense than I expected, it's basically just a hour and a half resolution of all the stuff that had been teased on the last episodes of the TV series.
Gendo's death among all the tragedy was quite satisfying, the main reason why he wanted the end of the world turning to ashes and leaving him with the knowledge he utterly traumatized his only son for nothing.

I'll get to watch the Rebuild movies too since apparently they are a time loop sequel rather than a true remake (and I have a few guesses as to how that happens now that I've seen EoE).
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

I just finished Blood Blockade Battlefront (Kekkai Sensen) Season 2

It's uh, not an easy series to explain. Okay so New York fell into another world, or more accurately, another world fell into New York City. And now there's weird mosnters and non-human people and vampires and minor deities and just a ton of weird stuff everywhere. And largely, the story is about a normal guy with super powerful eyes and his friends fighting nightmare monsters.

It's visually gorgeous in design, animation, and everything. And the soundtrack is great: the ED for season 1 is legendary. And the ED for season 2 is also great.

(This is the music video for the full song, the anime has significantly fewer basketball dance-offs)

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
So, since in an Italian sci-fi Facebook group when I wrote that I had watched Evangelion and liked it a bunch of very vocal people told me Mobile Suit Gundam was tons better about traumas and child soldiers and such so I started watching it.
Methinks they didn’t quite get what Evangelion was about because while of course they have some anime robot tropes in common Gundam is much more of a classic young adult military science fiction, a damn good one especially for the time but still quite a different type of work.
Like, Amuro is literally a super nerd with super nerd powers that understands how the super prototype bigass robot works after glancing at the manual. I suspect that if they made it today and gender-inverted it all of the internet would have cried “Mary Sue” so loudly it would have probably interfered with the sonar senses of dolphins in the ocean and for sure his first outing in the Gundam is a far cry from that of Shinji in the EVA.
Still, it is by and large very good, it’s a war story about a few inexperienced officers and a bunch of civilians stuck behind enemy lines that have a chance only because they happen to have a bunch of powerful prototype equipment including the Gundam of the title and yes, that inexperience will bite them in the ass as the series progresses.
Also it helps a lot that it is from a time before every anime felt obligated to have buckets of hornyness and wackyness and even for the time is more down to earth than something like Space Pirate Captain Harlock that still had most of the Arcadia crew being basically caricatures for comic relief.

Like, Amuro is literally a super nerd with super nerd powers that understands how the super prototype bigass robot works after glancing at the manual. I suspect that if they made it today and gender-inverted it all of the internet would have cried “Mary Sue” so loudly it would have probably interfered with the sonar senses of dolphins in the ocean and for sure his first outing in the Gundam is a far cry from that of Shinji in the EVA.

Minus the gender inversion, this was literally Kira Yamato, so you're on the money there. Amuro at least got a great set of characters to play against, and 10 years to develop.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I've been watching Zeta Gundam and I have the impression that being a dick must be a requirement to be a child prodigy Gundam pilot, the series is still nice enough military sci-fi even if it ramps up the presence of force sensitives newtypes compared to Mobile Suit Gundam.

rewatching Macross Frontier to review some technology worldbuilding, and man if Sheryl isn't The Most Powerful I'll eat my hat.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Sky crawlers and, Princess and the pilot have entered my scope of knowledge....  Just need to know which one to look at between wandavision/snowpiercer.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Zeta Gundam goes way too overboard with the force sensitives newtypes in its last stretch, I almost expected Camille to shout "for the honor of Greyskull" or have some of the disenbodied voices say "use the Force, Camille!" which is a very odd contrast with the rest of the anime which is otherwise military sci-fi.
I wouldn't have minded if they kept it more lowkey like in Mobile Suit Gundam but here newtypes can apparently generate force fields impervious to conventional weapons.
I'll probably just watch Char's Counterattack and leave it there.

rewatching Macross Frontier to review some technology worldbuilding, and man if Sheryl isn't The Most Powerful I'll eat my hat.

Frontier is the strongest Macross in years, maybe ever.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I've finished Space Battleship Yamato 2199 mostly because the original version Italian dub has kept the US adaptation and I hate the adaptations that try to "westernize" names on principle. Of the original I had vague memories of seeing an episode once, probably a rerun on one of those local TV networks that could be seen only intermittently from my island.
I liked it but really they should have let the women crewmembers have uniforms instead of painted-on bodysuits, it's almost like they had to have a fanservice quota even for episodes that were too serious for the usual anime gags.

Just finished with Gundam AGE yesterday. Very disappointing ending. The writing could really have been a lot better, and there was a general lack of a climactic duel.

Now, I think I'll catch up on Axis Powers Hetalia (I'm in the mood for some random silliness), and after that... I have no idea. There isn't really much on currently I'm too interested in. I might try out Full Metal Panic because I've heard it's pretty good. Or maybe Elfen Lied, which I keep wanting to watch but for some reason never seem to...

I've also pre-ordered Hellsing Ultimate vols 5 - 8, but those don't come out until November. The first two Madoka movies are premiering in select US theaters in about a month, so I might try to catch those as well.

I did just purchase Super Robot Wars Z, so maybe I'll play that in the meantime. I don't speak Japanese, but with a kanji dictionary at my side I think I can get the gist of it.

Now that Gundam Unicorn tho, that's the good stuff.

I may be a bit late to the party, but I finally watched A Place Further than the Universe. It's easily one of the best-looking anime series I've ever seen, and the story and everything else was also great; I may have teared up a little at a point or three...

Also, new seasons of That Time I Got Reincarnated As A Slime and My Hero Academia continue to be very entertaining.